Author Topic: Toronto as a threat to Celtics  (Read 7582 times)

Re: Toronto as a threat to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
New coach, less depth, less talent, uncertainty with Leonard.

Toronto was way overrated before. Leonard is a much better play than Derozan, but it’s still not good enough in comparison to what we have.

And Poeltl is a MUCH BETTER player than Danny Green!!!  And Poeltl is 9 years younger.  Green is 31 and Poeltl is 22!!

People are underestimating this part of this trade!!!

I also don't KNOW that Kawhi is a much better play(er) than Derozan.  D is much better on offense IMHO and Kawhi is a much better defender, and that is ASSUMING that Leonard is healthy!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster... Kawhi/Lowry/OG/Ibaka? Lol don't make me laugh.. If that is their definition of their Big 4, I'll be utterly amazed as Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Irving, Smart, and whoever else steps up manhandles their bench and their starting five.  :angel: :laugh: ::) ::) ::)
That Raptors team blew out the C's twice last year and I think 3 times the year before. Just sayin'. And they add Kawhi, who's the best player on the court between the 2 teams.  Maybe it was Dwayne Casey that had our number and not the players.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Toronto was way overrated before. Leonard is a much better play than Derozan, but it’s still not good enough in comparison to what we have.

And Poeltl is a MUCH BETTER player than Danny Green!!!  And Poeltl is 9 years younger.  Green is 31 and Poeltl is 22!!

I also don't KNOW that Kawhi is a much better play(er) than Derozan.  D is much better on offense IMHO and Kawhi is a much better defender, and that is ASSUMING that Leonard is healthy!!!

Smitty77
If Kawhi doesn't get hurt 2 years ago in the playoffs the Spurs would have won that first game vs. GS. And who knows what happens after that. He's that much of a difference maker. It should be interesting season. I didn't want us just rolling through the EC. We need a good test before facing the loaded Warriors.

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

they don't have less depth and they most certainly don't have less talent. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

they don't have less depth and they most certainly don't have less talent.

OG averaged 7.9 points and 2.1 rebounds in the playoffs!!  Serge averaged 8.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in the playoffs and shot 41.7%!!  Van Fleet shot 33.3% in the playoffs.  Maybe I am missing all the talent that they have beyond the newly acquired Kawhi (IF he is healthy)!!

Smitty77

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster... Kawhi/Lowry/OG/Ibaka? Lol don't make me laugh.. If that is their definition of their Big 4, I'll be utterly amazed as Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Horford, Irving, Smart, and whoever else steps up manhandles their bench and their starting five.  :angel: :laugh: ::) ::) ::)
That Raptors team blew out the C's twice last year and I think 3 times the year before. Just sayin'. And they add Kawhi, who's the best player on the court between the 2 teams.  Maybe it was Dwayne Casey that had our number and not the players.

The Raptors also got swept by the Cavs. Sure, they do well in regular season, and some of those games, we were also missing our key defenders. I think one of the game, we definitely were missing someone.

We almost beat the Cavs, and if it weren't for some epic implosion and being frigidly cold, I think we could've taken that series.

Just sayin'.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Raptors also got swept by the Cavs.

We almost beat the Cavs, and if it weren't for some epic implosion and being frigidly cold, I think we could've taken that series.

Just sayin'.
all about matchups.  the Cavs were just a terrible matchup for the Raptors given team makeup.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Just sayin'.
all about matchups.  the Cavs were just a terrible matchup for the Raptors given team makeup.

Getting swept by any team in the playoffs except for Golden State, especially coming off the best regular season in franchise history is no excuse for 'matchups,' Moranis... Let's be real... DeRozan/Lowry are great players, but they aren't superstars. The Cavs really weren't that great of a team, it was just by the will of LeBron that they managed to beat us. Next year, I can confidently say we are way ahead of the Raptors, and I would relish the opportunity for us to face them next year just so we can curb stomp Kawhi back to LA.  ::) ::)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster...
\

I think with the acquisition of Leonard they more than hold a candle to the Sixers, though.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Talent wise the Raptors don't hold a candle to our roster...
\

I think with the acquisition of Leonard they more than hold a candle to the Sixers, though.
i am so glad the 6ers couldnt get him

he's literally the perfect player for that team

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Just sayin'.
i think they were scared of lebron as well as being a poor matchup

they might play a lot better this upcoming post season knowing they won't have to face lebaby
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Just sayin'.

Getting swept by any team in the playoffs except for Golden State, especially coming off the best regular season in franchise history is no excuse for 'matchups,' Moranis... Let's be real... DeRozan/Lowry are great players, but they aren't superstars. The Cavs really weren't that great of a team, it was just by the will of LeBron that they managed to beat us. Next year, I can confidently say we are way ahead of the Raptors, and I would relish the opportunity for us to face them next year just so we can curb stomp Kawhi back to LA.  ::) ::)
I never said they were superstars, but their roster was not designed to stop James.  As evident by James rolling through them the last 3 seasons.  The Raptors were a much better team than the Pacers last year, and yet their Cavs series looked significantly different.  Why, because the Pacers were a difficult matchup for the Cavs, while the Raptors were not.  Matchups matter, especially in the playoffs. 

Kawhi Leonard brings an entirely different element to the Raptors.  He makes them significantly better, because he is without question a Superstar.  He was a top 3 MVP candidate in his last two full seasons.  He has multiple DPOY awards.  His value is significant.  Much more so then can be gleaned from him being x% better than DeRozan.  He is worth at least x times 2 to the Raptors. 

As I've said, I still expect Boston to come out of the East, but the Raptors are a significantly more difficult out with Leonard and Green then with DeRozan and Poeltl.  SIGNIFICANT.

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Celtics in 6
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Smitty77

I think you can make a very good argument that Kawhi healthy at his best is actually a better offensive player than Demar. And the difference between one of the best ever defensive players and a well below average one is massive. They have a ton of depth and will challenge us for best defense. They are good, not as good as the C's but a worthy foe.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 05:22:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This trade makes Toronto a real threat.

Their bench is still arguably the best in the NBA and now they have acquired an all-defense wing along with the best defensive player in the NBA without giving up much more than Demar Derozan.

They won 59 games and got a lot better.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.