Author Topic: Danny Ainge excuses and lack of trades(merged threads)  (Read 36018 times)

Re: What’s Danny’s excuse this Season?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 10:47:06 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Ainge was blindsided by LeBron and Clutch getting to Davis before they could trade for him and Irving's craziness then on the offseason by Horford being tapped up by 76ers so I think he has done well all things considered, but I am very critical of the Celtics making the biggest drafting mistake by falling in love with a NBA player because of a great draft workout (Carson Edwards) and because of wanting him they had to trade away their pick which would have been Thybulle or my favourite Brandon Clarke.

No doubt Ainge blew this years draft from start to finish... We literally didn't get one player out of it who looks to be an NBA contributor.  No doubt daddy Wyc will be taking the keys away at some point soon.
Once you get outside top 10 Danny’s drafting is a disaster year in and out. It’s like you shouldn’t be hoping for much. If his draftees hit a three here and there and make a defensive stop here and there that’s as much as you can expect

This is simply not true, and even the slightest bit of research will show that. Likewise, who do you think does have a good track record of drafting after the tenth pick? The first sixteen picks are lottery picks in more ways than one. The picks beyond that are even less likely to be consistently good (with the benefit of hindsight).

Seems this current snide is making people lash out with a lot of irrational statements, mostly indicative of their own frustration rather than a genuine issue.
Actually I have done more than the slightest bit of research on this and am standing by my statement. Once you go back the last 10-12 years and sort out all his draft busts you will have very few above average players left

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Ainge was blindsided by LeBron and Clutch getting to Davis before they could trade for him and Irving's craziness then on the offseason by Horford being tapped up by 76ers so I think he has done well all things considered, but I am very critical of the Celtics making the biggest drafting mistake by falling in love with a NBA player because of a great draft workout (Carson Edwards) and because of wanting him they had to trade away their pick which would have been Thybulle or my favourite Brandon Clarke.

No doubt Ainge blew this years draft from start to finish... We literally didn't get one player out of it who looks to be an NBA contributor.  No doubt daddy Wyc will be taking the keys away at some point soon.
Once you get outside top 10 Danny’s drafting is a disaster year in and out. It’s like you shouldn’t be hoping for much. If his draftees hit a three here and there and make a defensive stop here and there that’s as much as you can expect

This is simply not true, and even the slightest bit of research will show that. Likewise, who do you think does have a good track record of drafting after the tenth pick? The first sixteen picks are lottery picks in more ways than one. The picks beyond that are even less likely to be consistently good (with the benefit of hindsight).

Seems this current snide is making people lash out with a lot of irrational statements, mostly indicative of their own frustration rather than a genuine issue.
Actually I have done more than the slightest bit of research on this and am standing by my statement. Once you go back the last 10-12 years and sort out all his draft busts you will have very few above average players left

And what GM has done better do you think? Actually, given Danny is "a bust", it must be in fact be almost all GM's and Danny must be near the bottom. So who are the 20-30 odd GM's that have done better drafting with picks outside the top 10?

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

And what GM has done better do you think? Actually, given Danny is "a bust", it must be in fact be almost all GM's and Danny must be near the bottom. So who are the 20-30 odd GM's that have done better drafting with picks outside the top 10?
Morrey from the rockets and the spurs GM have done more than Danny with lower quality picks. You can probably add Ujiri to that list and a few others

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 11:11:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Morrey from the rockets and the spurs GM have done more than Danny with lower quality picks. You can probably add Ujiri to that list and a few others
So that’s two, maybe three. The onus is on you to provide names and evidence to back up your claim that Danny is below average as a drafter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 11:18:31 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

So that’s two, maybe three. The onus is on you to provide names and evidence to back up your claim that Danny is below average as a drafter.
I think he’s dead last if you rank the GMs that have earned the right to make draft picks in all of the last 10-12 years. There aren’t that many GMs that stay in the profession that long

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:44 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

I think he’s dead last if you rank the GMs that have earned the right to make draft picks in all of the last 10-12 years. There aren’t that many GMs that stay in the profession that long

Therefore you have no evidence to back up your statement other than "I think"....once again, easily refutable by research.

I get it though, you're frustrated and lashing out. That's fine, I understand, just don't present your unfounded opinion as fact

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 04:34:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You don't go all-in on a team that is super young, is built around two guys under 24, and that does not have a single player currently at an MVP level.

The goal for building this team should be to maximize the chance of winning a title when Tatum and Brown are 25/26, just hitting their prime.  Then you try to keep it going after that.

This year is about seeing what we have in Tatum and Brown -- mission accomplished, they're both All-Star caliber and capable of scoring 20+ ppg on decent efficiency while still playing solid defense.

Beyond that, this year is about learning lessons.  How to win close games.  How to beat the teams you're meant to beat.  How to maintain pace for a top seed.  Etc etc.  Still a work in progress on that front.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 04:37:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
You don't go all-in on a team that is super young, is built around two guys under 24, and that does not have a single player currently at an MVP level.

The goal for building this team should be to maximize the chance of winning a title when Tatum and Brown are 25/26, just hitting their prime.  Then you try to keep it going after that.

This year is about seeing what we have in Tatum and Brown -- mission accomplished, they're both All-Star caliber and capable of scoring 20+ ppg on decent efficiency while still playing solid defense.

Beyond that, this year is about learning lessons.  How to win close games.  How to beat the teams you're meant to beat.  How to maintain pace for a top seed.  Etc etc.  Still a work in progress on that front.
I agree. I think people are losing sight of the fact that this is a bridge year.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 06:15:48 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Not much blame on DA tbh. He was dealt a difficult hand this offseason: kyrie leaving, Horford leaving, Brown FA, team chemistry in disarray...

The fact that he resigned Brown to a bargain of a contract, then landed Kemba AND Kanter was pretty genius imo.

The only thing that I’m not a fan of is him saying that our top 5 guys are untouchable. Maybe you have that mindset if you were a dynasty like GSW, not if you’re the 3rd best team in your conference. And even then, all 5 guys?? Really?? I can see Tatum and Brown as nearly untouchable. Perhaps Kemba because he just signed. Smart/Hayward? Not so much.

- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 06:33:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Not much blame on DA tbh. He was dealt a difficult hand this offseason: kyrie leaving, Horford leaving, Brown FA, team chemistry in disarray...

The fact that he resigned Brown to a bargain of a contract, then landed Kemba AND Kanter was pretty genius imo.

The only thing that I’m not a fan of is him saying that our top 5 guys are untouchable. Maybe you have that mindset if you were a dynasty like GSW, not if you’re the 3rd best team in your conference. And even then, all 5 guys?? Really?? I can see Tatum and Brown as nearly untouchable. Perhaps Kemba because he just signed. Smart/Hayward? Not so much.
^this, I might be able to understand Smart being untouchable (great bargain deal for his insane glue guy skillset), but I really don't get his infatuation with Hayward.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I agree. I think people are losing sight of the fact that this is a bridge year.

Some people just want to see the final result, and pay no attention to how successful teams/people got there. It reminds me of something...

Veruca Salt Some fans : Danny, I want a squirrel Championship.  Get me one of those squirrels Championships, I want one!

Mr. Salt Danny Ainge : Veruca Celtics' fans dear, you have many Championships.

Some fans : All I've got at home is 2 from the 50s, 9 from the 60s, 2 from the 70s, 3 from the 80s, one from the 2000s, and 2 silly old ECF appearances in the past 3 years! I WANT a CHAMPIONSHIP!

Danny Ainge : All right, Championship. Danny'll get you a Championship just as soon as he possibly can.

Some fans : But I don't want any old Championship! I want a *this year's* Championship!
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Yes, our amazing start got people disoriented about the "state of the Celtics".
We are literally the least experienced team in the league, that is never a recipe for title-chasing.
I don't have title or bust expectations for this team, I was way more demanding last year when we had great talent and experience across the roster.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:59 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I don’t see any trade out there to be made that can honestly get this team a title this season. That’s why I’m mostly in favor of making a move to solidify this team starting next season and beyond. Let’s not get too cautious for playoff revenue.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »

Offline Squigs

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1

^this, I might be able to understand Smart being untouchable (great bargain deal for his insane glue guy skillset), but I really don't get his infatuation with Hayward.

It may be more a Stevens thing than an Ainge thing.  Moving Hayward would probably negatively impact Stevens, I would think.  I mean, I truly believe, if Stevens weren't the coach, Hayward would not have even come here (or maybe have even been a target of ours)

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Danny is in zero danger, he has found some talent here and there.   He seems to have done poorly this draft but the jury is still out.   But both him and CBS need to get over the small ball, because the rest of the league has figured it and moved on.