Author Topic: Danny Ainge excuses and lack of trades(merged threads)  (Read 36340 times)

Danny Ainge excuses and lack of trades(merged threads)
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Your a .500 club the last twenty games with zero bench depth
Your under .500 vs 500 or better Teams
Zero size on the Defensive boards
Did I mention, as usual zero veteran bench depth

Memphis pick should have been traded before it lost value the last few months for a Veteran who can play

Is Danny waiting for Davis again this off-season? Or maybe he’s waiting for Durant once again in few years

Pistons under GM Dumars in 04 traded for a Veteran presence in RW mid season and it took them to a championship and a finals appearance the next season with ZERO Hall of Famers

Any of you kool-aid drinkers make sense of it? Or do most only see Green?

Re: What’s Danny’s excuse this Season?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Memphis pick should have been traded before it lost value the last few months for a Veteran who can play

Is Danny waiting for Davis again this off-season? Or maybe he’s waiting for Durant once again in few years

Pistons under GM Dumars in 04 traded for a Veteran presence in RW mid season and it took them to a championship and a finals appearance the next season with ZERO Hall of Famers

I totally agree with you on the part where Ainge can do a 2004 Dumars trade that won Detroit a championship that year.

Ainge and the Celts have the assets to do something like that 2004 Dumars trade.

So yeah, it's very possible Ainge will make a move similar to that.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:54:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
this might be dannys swan song

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Its either

1) He could be waiting for a proper deal to become available
2) there's no realistic trade that would make the team better
3) he is waiting to see how we perform fully healthy. I read somewhere that our starters only played together in less than 20% of our games.
4) he is gunning for next year or the next as a target. Use the offseason to make some moves, rookies have developed some more. The things we arr missing could theoretically be covered by Edwards, R.Williams, Langford and Waters in the future. Its just that theyre rookies and sophomore right now.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:36 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
The two players on this team who should have the best careers out of any of them when it’s all said and done are currently 21 and 23. No one wants to hear it but until those guys are truly prime time anything else we do is gravy. We fill out the roster with max players in their prime because Tatum and Brown could arrive at any moment - they’re closer than ever to being big-time players. Maybe that happens in the playoffs. Maybe it happens in 2022. Danny is going to do what’s needed to build competitive teams each season since he has two guys who could both end up on the same all-nba team.

But yeah, I also hope he swings a trade to consolidate some young guys for a solid vet, preferably a big or a bench scorer. And I hope either way that this team hits its stride after the all star break.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I'm putting this on Brad... the team needs rebalancing and not necessarily new players.

Egos aside, Hayward needs to come off the bench with Smart until he proves otherwise. He can dominate the ball more with the second unit.

Starting lineup of Kanter, Theis, JB, JT and Kemba
Bench is Hayward, Smart, Grant Williams, Rob Will and I'd us picking up a pure scorer like Jamal Crawford.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:37:15 PM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Ainge was blindsided by LeBron and Clutch getting to Davis before they could trade for him and Irving's craziness then on the offseason by Horford being tapped up by 76ers so I think he has done well all things considered, but I am very critical of the Celtics making the biggest drafting mistake by falling in love with a NBA player because of a great draft workout (Carson Edwards) and because of wanting him they had to trade away their pick which would have been Thybulle or my favourite Brandon Clarke.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:04 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I'm putting this on Brad... the team needs rebalancing and not necessarily new players.

Egos aside, Hayward needs to come off the bench with Smart until he proves otherwise. He can dominate the ball more with the second unit.

Starting lineup of Kanter, Theis, JB, JT and Kemba
Bench is Hayward, Smart, Grant Williams, Rob Will and I'd us picking up a pure scorer like Jamal Crawford.

So we start our only two currently healthy centres? And then we bolster our bench with a 39 year old "scorer" who, by looking at the precipitous decline in his stats the last few years, is essentially done at an NBA level. He also has a career average shooting of 41% and was never known for any defensive ability. Not sure he fills any holes we have.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:45:10 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Ainge was blindsided by LeBron and Clutch getting to Davis before they could trade for him and Irving's craziness then on the offseason by Horford being tapped up by 76ers so I think he has done well all things considered, but I am very critical of the Celtics making the biggest drafting mistake by falling in love with a NBA player because of a great draft workout (Carson Edwards) and because of wanting him they had to trade away their pick which would have been Thybulle or my favourite Brandon Clarke.

No doubt Ainge blew this years draft from start to finish... We literally didn't get one player out of it who looks to be an NBA contributor.  No doubt daddy Wyc will be taking the keys away at some point soon.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

No doubt Ainge blew this years draft from start to finish... We literally didn't get one player out of it who looks to be an NBA contributor.  No doubt daddy Wyc will be taking the keys away at some point soon.
Once you get outside top 10 Danny’s drafting is a disaster year in and out. It’s like you shouldn’t be hoping for much. If his draftees hit a three here and there and make a defensive stop here and there that’s as much as you can expect

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't agree with Danny being a disaster out of the top 10. He has drafted many NBA talents through the years, but unfortunately hasn't hit a home run since Rondo.

I also don't agree that this year's draft is a total bust. I love what I've seen from Romeo (he was never expected to produce this year anyway) and there are many here who appreciate what Grant is able to do. Waters looks to be decent and Carsen still has time to figure it out (he should have kept the hair, though).

Besides, it's most important to nail your picks when you are selecting at the top of the draft and Danny has done just that. Very few people had Jaylen going as high as #3 and the trade to take Tatum was a thing of genius (Langford is a free prospect). Imagine if we had taken Bender in 2016 and Jackson in 2017 - these were very distinct possibilities at our draft slot and we nailed them.

Poor Suns got both of those guys and Chriss. Also, Ayton looks just fine, but Doncic...yep, Doncic.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Instead of finding the "fire Danny", or "fire CBS" threads, I am going to suggest that the only way we trade Hayward, is if we fire CBS (or both).

I don't like that idea at all.

Not until we find out what Hayward is willing to take next year. He could be a steal at age 30 on a three year deal around 15 per...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I don't agree with Danny being a disaster out of the top 10. He has drafted many NBA talents through the years, but unfortunately hasn't hit a home run since Rondo.

I also don't agree that this year's draft is a total bust. I love what I've seen from Romeo (he was never expected to produce this year anyway) and there are many here who appreciate what Grant is able to do. Waters looks to be decent and Carsen still has time to figure it out (he should have kept the hair, though).

Besides, it's most important to nail your picks when you are selecting at the top of the draft and Danny has done just that. Very few people had Jaylen going as high as #3 and the trade to take Tatum was a thing of genius (Langford is a free prospect). Imagine if we had taken Bender in 2016 and Jackson in 2017 - these were very distinct possibilities at our draft slot and we nailed them.

Poor Suns got both of those guys and Chriss. Also, Ayton looks just fine, but Doncic...yep, Doncic.
Agree on the Suns. I feel their pain ... then again it’s Danny’s disciple that messed up all those picks lol

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Instead of finding the "fire Danny", or "fire CBS" threads, I am going to suggest that the only way we trade Hayward, is if we fire CBS (or both).

I don't like that idea at all.

Not until we find out what Hayward is willing to take next year. He could be a steal at age 30 on a three year deal around 15 per...

Hayward will just be taking away shot attempts from Jaylen.

Celts already have Tatum and Jaylen, Hayward is a luxury.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 10:40:43 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

Once you get outside top 10 Danny’s drafting is a disaster year in and out. It’s like you shouldn’t be hoping for much. If his draftees hit a three here and there and make a defensive stop here and there that’s as much as you can expect

This is simply not true, and even the slightest bit of research will show that. Likewise, who do you think does have a good track record of drafting after the tenth pick? The first sixteen picks are lottery picks in more ways than one. The picks beyond that are even less likely to be consistently good (with the benefit of hindsight).

Seems this current snide is making people lash out with a lot of irrational statements, mostly indicative of their own frustration rather than a genuine issue.