Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Movies  (Read 28193 times)

Re: Guilty Pleasure Movies
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 07:06:34 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Zoolander and Uncle Buck both get 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, not sure if that qualifies.  There are also the mid 2000s trio of Grandma's Boy, Hamlet 2 and Hot Rod that are all really solid if not particularly intelligent

LOL I literally clicked the thread just so I could say Zoolander! Nice!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:26 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
TP to the OP for this topic.  I had fun thinking about it my whole ride home from work.  I couldn't land on one leader but there are a few movies I'd put on this list.

Obscure/Not highly regarded movies

Fear of a Black Hat - a mockumentary about an up and coming rap group NWH ("Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s With Hats").  I probably have watched this movie about 30 times.  A group of about 6 - 8 of my friends love it, and quotes from it still get thrown around at parties,  fantasy football drafts, etc.  Anyone else around has no idea what we are talking about.

The Great White Hype - not very highly regarded in it's day, this movie has always cracked me up and I think it is one of Samuel L. Jackson's best roles.

Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human - movie features Carmen Electra and some random nobody guy actor progressing throw a relationship from dating to pregnancy, but the story is told from the perspective of an alien National Geographic Show.

Movies a lot of people probably wouldn't think I'd love watching over and over

Lost in Translation - I absolutely love this movie, and can pretty much pick it up at any point in the story and keep watching it.  ScarJo was young and super hot, and there is something about the story that just resonates with me.  I also think the ending is perfect.  (spoiler alert) A few of my female friends have vehemently disagreed with me on this, but I like not knowing what they said to each other.  I love that it is left to the imagination.  I was just happy that in the end the elephant in the room was acknowledged, and they had the "moment" they both wanted instead of it ending with a great "what-if".

The Princess Bride - just a fun movie to watch, even years after my childhood when I first saw it.  A light, entertaining chick flick that this guy can watch over and over again.

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Home Alone I and II
Old Jackie Chan Movies (drunken master, snake in the eagle's shadow, fist of fury)
Wayne's World I and II
Bill and Ted's I and II
Back to the future trilogy
Star Wars (the entire saga)
Super
Talladega Nights
Ace Ventura I and II
The movie where Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore were with the Red Sox when they won the world series (I forgot the title)
Celtics Pride

Most of these are comedies.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, Dodgeball.  I love Talledega Nights but I actually thought it was an excellent movie!  If we can count that movie then I'm going to add all the Naked Guns, Spy Hard, and Wrongfully Accused.

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
-Rocky 2
-Wilcats
-Major League
-Semi Pro
-Above the Rim
-bloodsport
-Rudy
-Rush hour
-The Mask
-Bad Boys
- Superbad
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:26:24 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Excuse me Blob, I don't have a watch.

TP - Thanks for that. My high school yearbook quote (long ago) was, "OK dudes, let's walk this sucker...Alright!" I'll have to watch it again soon - it really has been too long.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
"Welcome to Woop Woop" & "Strictly Ballroom"!  I have a weakness for those Aussie movies with a different sense of humor.  Not a movie but I hope everyone is checking out "Rake", not the USA travesty but the original Australian TV series.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
sharknado
watched that after it had all the hype - couldn't take more than 20 minutes of it.  kudos to you if you enjoy it

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Zoolander and Uncle Buck both get 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, not sure if that qualifies.  There are also the mid 2000s trio of Grandma's Boy, Hamlet 2 and Hot Rod that are all really solid if not particularly intelligent
love Zoolander. wouldn't consider that or Buck to be bad movies  at all.  very underrated movies

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Whenever the Sweetest Thing with Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate comes on TV (which is a lot strangely enough) I have to watch it.
forgot about that one.  I like that one too - have always had a thing for Christina Applegate

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
remembered a couple of others:
Hellboy and Kelly's Heroes.  not sure if those would be considered bad movies but I like them

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Home Alone I and II
Old Jackie Chan Movies (drunken master, snake in the eagle's shadow, fist of fury)
Wayne's World I and II
Bill and Ted's I and II
Back to the future trilogy
Star Wars (the entire saga)
Super
Talladega Nights
Ace Ventura I and II
The movie where Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore were with the Red Sox when they won the world series (I forgot the title)
Celtics Pride

Most of these are comedies.

That movie is Fever Pitch.

I laughed so hard at Freddy Got Fingered at all the most shameful and inappropriate cheap laughs, and I don't care who knows.

Not sure if it's a guilty pleasure but whenever Mean Girls is on I watch it from wherever I pick it up until the end.

I thought The Girl Next Door was a piece of garbage, but basically any scene in that movie with Eliza Cuthbert has an unfair hold over me.

People slam Deja Vu for it's inconsistencies and the overall ridiculousness of the "science" involved, but I guess I'm a sucker for most any Denzel movie. I've got the DVD.

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've been watching National Treasure this week. Still holds up as cheesy but likable.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Don't really watch many movies, but Beerfest for one.

And while not really movies, but I love some of the Comedy Central roasts.  Good for crude, over the top humor.

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This is a tough one to admit.... but I find 50 First Dates to be weirdly charming and re-watchable.

I feel a lot better getting that off my chest, thanks OP.