Author Topic: What About Tyler Zeller?  (Read 974 times)

What About Tyler Zeller?
« on: January 02, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Now look, I know that name doesn't inspire ... much of anything, really.

I know he's not a great rebounder, a fantastic rim protector, a punishing finisher, or any of that.

But he is:

(1) 7 feet tall

(2) Available

(3) Not a complete stiff

(4) Familiar with what Brad expects of big men

The Celts could make better use of Tyler Zeller for a minimum deal than whatever they're using their 15th roster spot for right now (PJ Dozier?).

He's only 28 years old; there's no reason to think he's washed up or anything.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: What About Tyler Zeller?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I'm down

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I've though about this as well. In fact, I remember reading that he and Irving had very good chemistry in PNR's while they were together in Cleveland.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Not a bad idea.  Zeller was decent during Brad's 2nd year as coach.  I'm sure he could give 10-15 reliable minutes to help this team get through the regular season.  I remember him having a very good mid-range game.   

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Is zeller a rim protector?

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:58:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Personally, I am not a fan.

I think the guy is utterly useless.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

In the sense that he has a smooth jumper

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Personally, I am not a fan.

I think the guy is utterly useless.

I'm not saying he's any great shakes, but utterly useless he is not.

He's basically a replacement level backup center over the course of his career.

In 2014-2015 he was actually one of the most consistent and useful players on the team, though that was a year in flux.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He grades as like a C+ to B in basically every skill you'd ask of a backup center.

Maybe a B+ in terms of mid-range jumper, though that's not exactly a vital skill for that role.

He's pretty decent at setting picks and operating as the big in a dribble handoff, which is a fairly major part of the offense.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 06:16:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I 'd would rather use Williams who might be a player some day.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

He grades as like a C+ to B in basically every skill you'd ask of a backup center.

Maybe a B+ in terms of mid-range jumper, though that's not exactly a vital skill for that role.

He's pretty decent at setting picks and operating as the big in a dribble handoff, which is a fairly major part of the offense.

I seem to remember that you've always liked Zeller. Me not so much. I'd rather have Theis in his role. If we bring in an extra center it should be someone that provides something that the current roster doesn't have or at a higher level.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I realize Bird is probably not long for this Cs roster, but aren't we using all 15 roster spots right now? I also have some concern about the luxury tax, but the longer we wait to sign him, the less he will cost.

As for if Zeller would be an actual useful body on the Cs, I am going to lean toward no. Baynes should be back at some point and that should shuffle everybody back to their best positions. Theis and Williams should, in theory, be able to handle back-up big-man minutes, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to have a player who is familiar with Brad's system back on the bench. He is also not exactly demanding and does his job when called upon.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I realize Bird is probably not long for this Cs roster, but aren't we using all 15 roster spots right now? I also have some concern about the luxury tax, but the longer we wait to sign him, the less he will cost.

I believe the 15th spot right now is PJ Dozier.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I seem to remember that you've always liked Zeller. Me not so much. I'd rather have Theis in his role. If we bring in an extra center it should be someone that provides something that the current roster doesn't have or at a higher level.

The current roster doesn't have healthy players with the size to man the center spot reliably for 10-15 minutes a game.

I 'd would rather use Williams who might be a player some day.

(a) He's not healthy right now

(b) He can't play more than 15-20 minutes a night right now, and even when Horford is healthy, until Baynes gets back the Celts are left in a pickle to fill 48 minutes at the 5.  Theis has been atrocious.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
as a minutes eater why not