Author Topic: Can Semi Ojeleye develop like Jae Crowder?  (Read 1047 times)

Can Semi Ojeleye develop like Jae Crowder?
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Something that hasn't been adressed much is the improvement of Ojeleye. He doesn't look lost on offense anymore. His shot is back and he's driving to the rim with some success. Can he be an underrated guy that will develop in a very nice rotation player?

A bit like the Jae Crowder story? There are similarities in their playing style.

Re: Can Semi Ojeleye develop like Jae Crowder?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:59:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I hope so. That was my hope when we drafted him. He shows promise, like his recent games against Chicago, NOP and Milwaukee, but he needs more consistency - even if it is hard to do that when your minutes are all over the place.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:11:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Something that hasn't been adressed much is the improvement of Ojeleye. He doesn't look lost on offense anymore. His shot is back and he's driving to the rim with some success. Can he be an underrated guy that will develop in a very nice rotation player?

A bit like the Jae Crowder story? There are similarities in their playing style.

It is? His shooting splits are 40.7-29.4-66.7.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I could see it happening if, like Crowder, he went to a team that had a lot of room for unproven guys to take on a larger role.

On this Celts team I think Semi will continue to be shunted into a 3rd string type role, as Crowder was with the Mavs before getting traded to the Celts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
no. terrible form for a 3 and D guy. Defense yes but offensively challenged.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 08:13:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Big Baby Davis

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I could see Crowder light. On a team without the depth we have he could come off the bench as a 3/4 guy and average 12 and 5.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:32:44 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

It is? His shooting splits are 40.7-29.4-66.7.

I wish we’d just retire FG%, it’s so misleading.

Semi is shooting .568 from 2. That includes a stellar .789 at the rim. As Bill Walton used to say, that’ll get it done. .571 on short shots.

He’s also getting more attempts at the rim, partly because he runs the floor like a deer and has figured out when to go.

Let’s stay real about these numbers - these are small sample sizes. Scratch October and he’s 9 of 11 from the line; we just aren’t talking about a lot of shots.  These could all look a lot different by February, including the 3pt%, which is now .302, btw, he having gone 1 for 2 against Minnesota.

I’d say he’s nicely on track. In addition to the big jump in effectiveness at the rim, he’s cut down on turnovers while increasing his usage; and he’s creating a higher percentage of his own shots.

The Crowder comparison has some merit, though Semi has better quickness, including laterals; and Semi has more repertoire around the basket.

The Big Baby comp I don’t see.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 05:13:30 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

For him to develop like Jae he would need to play more minutes. His first full season here in 15-16 he was playing 30 mins vs Semi 11 this year. I don’t think you can show too much when you’re only playing 11 mins.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I could see Crowder light. On a team without the depth we have he could come off the bench as a 3/4 guy and average 12 and 5.

We already have Gordon Hayward to fill that role - if he increases his scoring slightly.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:02:58 AM by IDreamCeltics »