Author Topic: where is Tommy?  (Read 3040 times)

Re: where is Tommy?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 04:56:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I hope he gets well soon. I can't stand Scalabrine.

The second question here is - and I hope Tommy is with us a good long time, but he will probably retire before any health issues begin to bother him - Is Scalabrine the long-term plan for the future ? When he first came on board, I thought he was a perfect protoge' - but he is simply annoying to listen to. Seems with all our history, there are all sorts of options out there. McHale would be great, but I'm sure his national gig is better for him. ML Carr ? We could at least count on him to be an unapologetic homer, which is a tradition I hope the Celtics always continue.

I actually think he has improved from the past few years. When he is with Mike he is tolerable, when he is with Kyle he's a disaster. He can be pretty insightful if he chooses to be, the problem is he wants to try to be funny and it takes away from what he's supposed to do - give us insights on the game. Also he's not critical enough. I understand local commentators have to know which side their bread is buttered from but if they're not playing well tell us and give us insights why - insights that only an ex-player or someone close to the team would know.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
still giving TP 's  ;D

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
When Tommy retires, I'd offer Bill Walton or McHale whatever they wanted to replace him. I'd even give it to Cornbread over Scal.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
When Tommy retires, I'd offer Bill Walton or McHale whatever they wanted to replace him. I'd even give it to Cornbread over Scal.

I think you're onto something there. 

Tommy gets the flu this time of year, it seems like every year.  Cherish him while we can.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'd love to hear McHale as a color commentator for the Celtics. Every time you hear him talk, you can just tell he gushes about his time in Boston and how much he loves the Celtics. And I'll always be grateful to No. 32 for the KG trade.

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
last game I went to was 2 yrs ago and it hurt to watch heinsohn walk out on the court, he looked bad and in pain. personally I hope he's still doing this because it's still fun to him.

In retrospect I think if it weren't for heinsohn I might not have stuck with the Celtics, when I really got interested in basketball the big 3 were not quite what they were and we got real bad real fast... I watched a lot of bad basketball religiously... because of tom heinsohn. he's said some outrageous things over the yrs. some he was/is right about and a lot was just plain entertainingly absurd. 

just hope he's not still doing this stuff because he feels he has to.

Plus, if I am not mistaken, Tommy lost his wife a few year ago so the guy has been through alot. He probably does enjoy doing the games because if nothing else, it's like a hobby he enjoys.

It sucks to age. We're all going to be there someday.

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think you're onto something there. 

Tommy gets the flu this time of year, it seems like every year.  Cherish him while we can.

Indeed. I am going to miss the big guy when he retires.

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Grande and Max are the perfect duo to take over the TV broadcasts once Tommy and Mike both retire. Scal is ok to fill in for Tommy as long as Gorman is there, but when Gorman is not around Scal goes off the rails.