Poll

Who Is Boston's Sixth Man This Season? Vote TWICE!

Jayson Tatum
Gordon Hayward
Aron Baynes
Marcus Smart
Marcus Morris
Terry Rozier

Author Topic: Who Is Sixth Man? Vote Your First AND Second Choices!  (Read 5349 times)

Re: Who Is Sixth Man? Vote Your First AND Second Choices!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 04:57:33 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Fair point, and I certainly agree that lineups can change for certain match ups. I tend to think that those guys will start enough games that it won't make sense to label any of them a sixth man, but folks can disagree on that.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 05:07:31 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I voted Smart, but opening night vs. Sixers, I could see Brad starting Baynes, and bringing Hayward off the bench, given the injury recovery angle.  I doubt Hayward's ego would get bent out of shape.

Will that change as the season goes on? Once Hayward is in the groove, would you start Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford against the Sixers?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We are so stacked I dont know but I voted smart.

It’ll be between rozier, smart, and Morris
If Smart finally has a jump it’s him. Even without the jumper he is incredibly important
Morris might be very hot from the open floor. Same with rozier

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Theis  8)

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Theis  8)

Who are the starters in this scenario? Is he coming in for Aron Baynes?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Theis  8)

For Kyrie. Mask for mask, keep the shots flowing.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Theis  8)

For Kyrie. Mask for mask, keep the shots flowing.
If Theis doesn't hit 20FGA per game this year I'll be furious!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
I think one of Tatum or Hayward should play off the bench.  If it was me, I would bring Hayward off the bench.  Throughout his career, he has had success at both SG and SF.  He would be an absolute weapon off the bench.

Iguodala has 3 titles playing that role.  Hayward would be even better.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:19:58 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think one of Tatum or Hayward should play off the bench.  If I was me, I would bring Hayward off the bench.  Throughout his career, he has had success at both SG and SF.  He would be an absolute weapon off the bench.

I think it’s the wrong time in Hayward’s career for that role, even though he’d be great at it.  We don’t even know if he’s reached his peak as a player yet.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
I think one of Tatum or Hayward should play off the bench.  If I was me, I would bring Hayward off the bench.  Throughout his career, he has had success at both SG and SF.  He would be an absolute weapon off the bench.

I think it’s the wrong time in Hayward’s career for that role, even though he’d be great at it.  We don’t even know if he’s reached his peak as a player yet.

That has all changed with the injury.  It has also changed with how well that Tatum and Brown played last season.  I agree that in almost any other situation, it would be a no-brainer that Hayward would start.  I actually don't expect it necessarily, I just think it would be the best for the team and for him in this situation.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:42 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Voted Smart and then Hayward (injury comeback)

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

Would you think the same if Hayward came off the bench but still played starter’s minutes?

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton

That has all changed with the injury.  It has also changed with how well that Tatum and Brown played last season.  I agree that in almost any other situation, it would be a no-brainer that Hayward would start.  I actually don't expect it necessarily, I just think it would be the best for the team and for him in this situation.

Voted Smart and then Hayward (injury comeback)

So would you guys start Baynes? Would Hayward or Smart come in for Baynes?

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 11:44:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Hayward's contract is $128M for 4 years so he is not coming off the bench, so we can eliminate him as a 6th man candidate.

It's easily Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier. Baynes is great, but he's more of a 7th/8th man backing up Horford.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 12:13:09 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Hayward's contract is $128M for 4 years so he is not coming off the bench, so we can eliminate him as a 6th man candidate.

What if he doesn’t start, but finishes games, and plays starter’s minutes?

It's easily Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier. Baynes is great, but he's more of a 7th/8th man backing up Horford.

Baynes was mostly on the floor with Horford last season, so what you’re proposing would mean either a different or a diminished role for him.