Author Topic: Could Brett Favre Look any worse?  (Read 23938 times)

Re: Could Brett Favre Look any worse?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »

Offline Werner

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I can see why the packers are ready to move on from the Favre era, but where is the loyalty? Favre can so much to the packers franchise. that is the one thing i hate about sports sure i understand its a business. like everyone else i was a fan of the late 80s early 90s 49ers teams, but the way they treated Montana and rice is Horrible. i just want a little loyalty       from franchises, these guys put there heart and soul into a team and the franchises dont even care. 

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My thought is, the heck with arguments about loyalty / the future.  The Packers almost made the Super Bowl last season with Favre at the helm.  They have a great shot of being in playoff contention again if they bring back Favre as their starter.  As a Packers' fan, wouldn't you want the team to maximize its chances of winning now, rather than relying on a guy who is completely unproven?

I guess a lot comes down to whether the Packers think they can compete with New York, Dallas, and Minnesota this season.  I don't think any of those teams are a juggernaut, and with Favre leading the team, they'd have the potential to at least make the Superbowl (I don't think they can win it.)  Still, the team may have a different assessment.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I can see why the packers are ready to move on from the Favre era, but where is the loyalty? Favre can so much to the packers franchise. that is the one thing i hate about sports sure i understand its a business. like everyone else i was a fan of the late 80s early 90s 49ers teams, but the way they treated Montana and rice is Horrible. i just want a little loyalty       from franchises, these guys put there heart and soul into a team and the franchises dont even care. 

i don't get this, why does loyalty equate to letting brett out of a contract he signed when they can trade him and at least get something?

it's not like there saying he can't come back, they just don't want to play "make me the starter or i'm taking my ball and going home" games with ol' flip flop.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Make him the starter?  ugh yeah Aaron Rogers. He's already the defacto starter I don't think Brett likes the fact that GB isn't bending over backwards for him which they should.

Someone mentioned earlier about making mistake with Alex Smith no the mistake was drafting either one of them.  They both are horrible.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2008, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113

Where is the loyalty from the self-absorbed whiner who holds the franchise hostage every season?  At some point it has to get sickeningly redundant for the whole organization.  The organization has put it's collective heart and soul into this narcissistic jerk for how many years???.....only to put up with the same selfish act every postseason.  

They should get something for him or let him sit.  I firmly believe that the vast majority of the fans of this team are seeing through the selfish jerk's act.
The PR hit would be minimal.  Especially if Rodgers plays like he has when he's gotten the opportunity. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:18:46 PM by iowa plowboy »

« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2008, 07:02:01 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im not sure why people think he is the teams best chance to win now.  He has thrown 18 picks in his last 9 playoff games including two of the worst ive ever seen: Last year against the giants, and in 05 against the eagles.  I really think that although he may still be serviceable he is not a quarterback that has what it takes to win in the playoffs, and the last decade of his career is all the evidence needed to see that. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Im not sure why people think he is the teams best chance to win now.  He has thrown 18 picks in his last 9 playoff games including two of the worst ive ever seen: Last year against the giants, and in 05 against the eagles.  I really think that although he may still be serviceable he is not a quarterback that has what it takes to win in the playoffs, and the last decade of his career is all the evidence needed to see that. 

Do you think Aaron Rodgers would do any better, though?  Favre threw for 4,000+ yards last season, with 28 TDs, 15 INTs, a 66.5% completion percentage, and a 95.7 QB rating. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I think it was an aberration look at the two years previous.  And again i think it comes back to the playoffs.  He is 2-3 in his last 5 wildcard appearances.  And im confident to say that I think Aaron rogers can throw an average of two picks a playoff appearance.  Heck im confident that if they give me the reigns i can match that total.   ;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2008, 07:40:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
And you can look just at his numbers from last year thats fine.  But how many players rebound a career at 38? I think pure common sense shows that next year he wont play as well so i think we are looking more at the 18-18 or the 20-29 year two years ago.  I do see your point, but do you really think he is gonna repeat his performance last year.

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
And you can look just at his numbers from last year thats fine.  But how many players rebound a career at 38? I think pure common sense shows that next year he wont play as well so i think we are looking more at the 18-18 or the 20-29 year two years ago.  I do see your point, but do you really think he is gonna repeat his performance last year.

I don't know if he would (or will) repeat his performance.  I am fairly certain, though, that he would outperform Rodgers.

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2008, 08:55:50 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I am so sick of Brett Farve. Especially the excuse "they made me retire" because of being rushed. Give me a break. Same story different year, predicted this back in February and everyone at home called me crazy.