Poll

Who do like better as a prospect Tatum or Barrett

Barrett
2 (16.7%)
Tatum
10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: May 31, 2019, 09:57:51 AM

Author Topic: Barrett vs Tatum  (Read 1117 times)

Barrett vs Tatum
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For all the talk about the additional assets for the Knicks and Celtics like the future Grizzlies pick, Brown, Smart, Robert Williams, our other picks, the Mavs picks owed to the Knicks, Smith JR, Knox, and Robinson most of the time it comes down the very best asset in this case Tatum, and the most likely pick for the Knicks RJ Barrett (sounds like the Grizzlies really like Morant at 2).

I’m leaving the Lakers out for 2 reasons I don’t believe they have asset as good as Tatum or Barrett, and the Pelicans might not want to do business with them anyway.

I’m interested to hear what people think of Barrett vs Tatum.  I know some people think Barrett is a better prospect.  I think Barrett can do some things better such as maybe driving and passing, but not as good of a shooter. I’m on the fence though between the 2. I might lean towards Tatum as he at least has shown his skills in the NBA.

Re: Barrett vs Tatum
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Tatum is the much safer selection, though you have 2 years less on the contract and there are things that Barrett can potentially do better than Tatum.  I also think Tatum's regression in many areas really hurt his long term outlook around the league.  I do also think Barrett quite easily could end up as the best player in his draft and a MVP level of player at some point down the line.  Despite all that, I'd still probably go with Tatum as you have a much better idea of what you are getting with him and Barrett is a complete unknown. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
It’s hard to say as prospects who I like more, but I’m really low on Barrett, so with what Tatum has become, I value him way higher.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
RJ Barrett = more dynamic a player. Better ball-handling and playmaking ability. Makes Barrett a more well rounded and dangerous offensive threat. Similar defensive & rebounding talent as Tatum. Better at getting to the basket and finishing off the dribble. Otherwise, a similar scoring talent as Tatum.

Overall, a clearly superior talent. Largely due to ball-handling and playmaking ability which makes him ideal for today's PnR heavy league (unlike Tatum's iso-game).

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Barrett is not going to be good enough to be the #1 scorer or facilitator on a good team and he's not a good enough shooter to be deadly off the ball. He'll be a good player, but basically average for the first half of his career, maybe topping out just below all star level in his prime.

I still see Tatum as a perennial all star eventually.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Barrett has a higher BBIQ, better ball handling and passing, and better defense.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I worry about Barrett's shot. It's just not consistent enough and the form isn't great.  How will his scoring ability translate to the next level? He also can't go right at all and as much as I've heard about his defense, I just didn't see it.

Idk. He gives me strong Andrew Wiggins vibes. I'd go with Tatum.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Barrett has a higher BBIQ, better ball handling and passing, and better defense.

I really like Barrett, but I have to disagree with pretty much all of those points.

BBIQ, Barret made some really boneheaded plays this past season.
Ballhandling and passing were areas that caused him to drop in the draft, it a big issue with him.
Defense, no, about the same.

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:56:53 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Tatum.

Barrett is a better ball handler and passer but shot under 33% on 3's and under 30% on 2's (!).  He's not a good defender, or has shown nothing at least.  He's not any taller than Lonzo Ball, is a worse passer and ball handler, and probably even a worse shooter.

Tatum is a very good shooter, he can rebound, he has prototypical size and length at the wing, the most important position in the NBA.  I wouldn't call him a good defender but he has shown more and has more potential than Barrett, and can get steals and blocks. 

Tatum's passing isn't great but if he worked on it, he would have very little holding him back on offense and potential to play good D.  In the playoffs as a rookie he played as well as rookie Larry Bird at the age of 19-20.  He doesn't have the real flaws that RJB has, and has proven himself.  Tatum wins.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw many Duke games this past season. Barrett is a very good open court player. However, he seemed to struggle in a half-court game. He can only go to his left. Is a disaster at the end of close games, where he becomes a turnover machine. Has no outside shot and is not a reliable free throw shooter. At times, he seems to lack coordination. I feel like scouts are more enamored with his athleticism than any basketball ability. Dare I say, I feel like he is closer to Fultz than Tatum. He has a deer in the headlights look during close games, that he seems to want no part of but feels obligated to try because of the lofty expectations on his shoulders.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take Tatum over Barrett. The comparison probably seems closer than it should be because Tatum suffered through a sophomore slump, and was part of a team with chemistry issues.