Author Topic: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)  (Read 5823 times)

Re: 2 coaches who may get fired (my opinion)
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:22 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Adams is what really kills them. If they could split that money into 3 good role players that fit well, you could see them doing something in the future. I don't think he is moveable with that contract though.

From a salary standpoint, for sure, but I think you’ll find that when the Thunder actually involve Adams (not throw Russ the ball so he can jack up garbage) they have much higher win percentage.
With Adams I think it’s purely fit, he may be worth his $25mil pay check to another team elsewhere in the league.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2019, 06:44:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think Adams is what really kills them. If they could split that money into 3 good role players that fit well, you could see them doing something in the future. I don't think he is moveable with that contract though.

From a salary standpoint, for sure, but I think you’ll find that when the Thunder actually involve Adams (not throw Russ the ball so he can jack up garbage) they have much higher win percentage.
With Adams I think it’s purely fit, he may be worth his $25mil paycheck to another team elsewhere in the league.
I think moving Russ is the only way to get them past round 1.
He is like an anchor, not a defensive anchor, but the one that drags you down into the deep.
There could be a GM who is blind enough to want him.
Adams would be hard or not lucrative enough to move him now IMO. The center position has many alternatives in this market.

EDIT:
They aren't ready to do that as the organization.
Its like Bulls trading Jimmy, will take years to reach PO, especially in the west. Plus they probably had some type of agreement with PG to remain competitive.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:25:31 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:13 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Agree with everyone in thread that Donovan’s next

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, he should be a goner. Would be next to impossible to coach a guy like Westbrick, but he still isn't a very good NBA coach.

His strategy of keeping Grant on Kanter seemed incredibly foolish to me. Kanter was injured, yet he still managed to get 6 offensive rebounds and 13 points because he had the 6'7" Grant on him. Not to mention that Adams is simply not cut out to play defence on the perimeter guys for Portland.

Didn't get it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I predicted on a pod, that Donovan will get booted before this season started.

Here was my simple process.

Thunder will hit below their season expectations. (Always set too high since KD left)
They can't do much roster-wise, as they are contractually tied and are without maneuverability.
The only guy that can go, and it is easier to change one guy than 7, is Donovan.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:42:24 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 08:19:09 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Thunder get ousted in 5 games for the third straight year. Not a good look for Donovan. Westbrook is probably most to blame but, as others have pointed out, he's the face of the franchise and not going anywhere. Donovan could be on the hot seat.

Brown is probably safe. He was there through the whole "process" and was leaned on pretty heavy after the Colangello fiasco. They made it out of the 2nd round. He's got at least another year, I'd guess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:24 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yeah, he should be a goner. Would be next to impossible to coach a guy like Westbrick, but he still isn't a very good NBA coach.

His strategy of keeping Grant on Kanter seemed incredibly foolish to me. Kanter was injured, yet he still managed to get 6 offensive rebounds and 13 points because he had the 6'7" Grant on him. Not to mention that Adams is simply not cut out to play defence on the perimeter guys for Portland.

Didn't get it

I think he'll get a reprieve because Paul George was playing injured. Not just a sore shoulder but a legitimate injury that's going to require surgery (hearing torn labrum which is seriously painful. Props yo him for playing through it). And you can legit trace their collapse to that injury. They were the #3 seed for a good chunk of the season, and a beast of a team defensively (and that's without Roberson making it back).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:47:18 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Didn't get it

I think he'll get a reprieve because Paul George was playing injured. Not just a sore shoulder but a legitimate injury that's going to require surgery (hearing torn labrum which is seriously painful. Props yo him for playing through it). And you can legit trace their collapse to that injury. They were the #3 seed for a good chunk of the season, and a beast of a team defensively (and that's without Roberson making it back).
The main issue with firing Donovan is there aren't any good coaches available to replace him.  I doubt they'll be any better but they ought to let Dononan finish out the last year of his contract. 

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
So ....Durrant was not the problem,  the coach is not the problem,  PG has been a great team mate and played well embraced the city.

The issue is Westbrooke himself is not a smart or  very good basketball team player and won't change it seems. 

OKC won't get better killing another coach .

Trade Westbrooke .

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So ....Durrant was not the problem,  the coach is not the problem,  PG has been a great team mate and played well embraced the city.

The issue is Westbrooke himself is not a smart or  very good basketball team player and won't change it seems. 

Trade Westbrooke .

If they could, they probably would.

Good luck finding a taker with that contract. Just like Wall.

These supermax contracts have gone absolutely bonkers and are handcuffing teams from getting out of them.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2019, 04:28:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Trade Westbrooke .

These supermax contracts have gone absolutely bonkers and are handcuffing teams from getting out of them.

I've heard others, many smarter than me, express this same sentiment that it would be hard to find a taker for Westbrook.

But the guy is a lightning rod and, despite all his many flaws, does things that are incredible to behold. I gotta think there are a handful of teams who, if only for business reasons, would take him on with the thought that fans are going to flock to watch him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2019, 08:58:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Trade Westbrooke .

I've heard others, many smarter than me, express this same sentiment that it would be hard to find a taker for Westbrook.

But the guy is a lightning rod and, despite all his many flaws, does things that are incredible to behold. I gotta think there are a handful of teams who, if only for business reasons, would take him on with the thought that fans are going to flock to watch him.
There would be a pretty good market for Westbrook, but they aren't trading him.  I do really want to see OKC get an even above average coach though.  They really need somebody good.  Maybe even a harder line coach like Joerger. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip