Author Topic: Cover-Up?  (Read 2731 times)

Cover-Up?
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:10 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
A little sensational, I know, but wasn't it obvious that Scalabrini was almost knocked out last night?  I know I was feeling a little sick to my stomach watching, and my first thought was that he could be out for the season.

Then, I hear a strained neck?  Maybe the whack to the back of the head caused his  head to snap forward hurt his neck.  And now he's being sent home for percautionary reason for a strained neck?

Is there some sort of rule that 3 concussions in a year and your are done?  Becasue it is obvious that the concussion is the reason he is sent home.  Anyone with some sort of insight into this?

Re: Cover-Up?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
No insight.  Just the feeling that it is terrible that he has another concussion.  I would not be surprised if Scal doesn't play again this season.  The Mikki Moore signing is coming at a really good time, and if Scal is out, it means the Cs priority for that final roster spot will probably switch from PG to "another big".
Edit-- where "another big" could be some sort of "power 3" type player.  But not sure which FA fits that bill... Ruben Patterson?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I thought he's probably done for the year too. Concussions are the worst. I got one about a year or so ago, and I honestly didn't feel quite right for months afterwards. I can't imagine getting 3 in the span of a few months. I just hope he takes the time and gets himself better. That should be priority number one. You don't want to mess around with multiple concussions.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't know about a cover up or anything BUT, I saw the play and definitely had the feeling that he was knocked out on his feet.  He walked around but he looked out of it.  Just like a boxer looks when you know 1 more punch and they're on their back.  He looked disoriented to say the least.

Is that a concussion?  Dunno.  Was he just stunned?  dunno.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know about a cover up or anything BUT, I saw the play and definitely had the feeling that he was knocked out on his feet.  He walked around but he looked out of it.  Just like a boxer looks when you know 1 more punch and they're on their back.  He looked disoriented to say the least.

Is that a concussion?  Dunno.  Was he just stunned?  dunno.

Yeah, he took the hit, was still on his feet, then suddenly toppled over like dead weight.  Seemed like he blacked or whited out for a second.  I don't think it was a full concussion or he'd've been a lot more dazed than he appeared to be, but it's obvious something happened.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
His eyes were in the back of his head when he was laying there and even when he was getting up.  Probably didn't know where the heck he was, either. 

Sure looked like a concussion to me. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I feel really bad for Scal. His time in Boston before this season probably hadn't been what he had wanted it to be, with the DNPs and the mock Scalabrine chants and all, and this year it looked like he was on his way to actually making some important contributions to a possible championship team in the playoffs. All of a sudden, he's got 3 concussions within a short time span to deal with, and who knows how long he's going to be out. Poor Scal.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
He sure looked knocked out as he fell and then got up.  But the one bright spot is that he swished his two free throws with no problem.  I would think a something more serious would hinder that.

He also said after the game that it felt different than his previous concussions.  Given that he suffered two concussions recently, I'd assume that he is a resident expert and knows what it feels like.

Still a scary moment, though...

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It definitely did appear to be a concussion. I cannot believe the bad luck he has been having recently.

It really has been a bizarre season for Scali. I never in a million years thought he would emerge as a solid player on our team but his hard work on and off the court has changed my mind. The mock chants have been replaced with real one's and he has earned them this year.

I hope he recovers and they do not take any chances with his long term health. Get well soon Scali.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I must admit I was a little surprised they left him in as long as they did after that. You could hear Doc asking him if he was alright, but you would think one of his teammates would have said something to the coach. Anyone could tell by looking at him that he was not alright. His eyes were rolling around and he looked totally stunned. While he is far from my favorite player, I am concerded about his health and am glad they have sent him back for tests, and no, I do not believe it's for a strained neck.