Author Topic: Is Marbury the real target?  (Read 5426 times)

Re: Is Marbury the real target?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:39:53 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I also think Danny is targeting both Smith and Marbury. Moore would be an insurance signing. I'm totally cool with cutting any of the scrubs on this team if both became available.

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:45:28 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I think Marbury is a target.  However, I think Danny could have easily had two "real targets"; there's nothing that would have necessarily precluded him from signing both Smith and Marbury (except, of course, if one or the other isn't bought out, or signed elsewhere).

right, but i'm just speculating that maybe he didn't want both spots to be dependent on rolls of the dice...

meaning, let's nail down a guy in the front court and then really hone in on Mar...

certainly, it's possible to go after both guys, but if Danny thinks that Mar is the real impact guy, maybe he just wanted to be able to focus in on him by getting a lesser need checked off the list...

i'm not agreeing with the strategy, i'm just trying to understand the rush to go out and grab Mikki....(if that is in fact what is happening).

personally, i think you get more bang for your buck by signing Smith because i think there is a greater need at that spot....
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure Danny is capable of focusing on both Smith and Marbury at the same time. I highly doubt, rather, I know that Danny did not sign Moore just so he could "check a need off his list". The Moore signing has nothing to do with Marbury.

I'm telling you, Danny has done and will do everything he can to sign Joe Smith. Do you really think, knowing that Danny is (nevermind a paid professional) a patient guy, just said, "Aw the hell with it! I'm sick of waiting for Smith. I'm going to sign Moore just to get this thing over with"?

i hear what you're saying, but this is a bit of a special circumstance in that there is a very small window here and only about three or four players in the mix.

filling out our bench - which clearly he knows is not as strong as it should be - is gonna be like threading a needle at this point.

we know that Moore is getting bought out. Smith and Mar have to be looked at as question marks at this point, and maybe Danny didn't want to bank our bench additions on TWO question marks and decided to try and fill one and then go all out on Mar....

just speculating here.
Alright, I also understand where you're coming from. You could say that Danny signed Moore simply because he's a sure thing, and you might be right to say that. However, my point is that that doesn't relate to the Marbury situation at all.

And I could be wrong, by the way. I don't want to make it sound like I'm dismissing your point about it relating to Marbury as without a doubt wrong. I don't make a habit of padding my posts with "IMHO's" and the like, so sometimes people might be rubbed the wrong way by them. Please don't be.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think Marbury is a target.  However, I think Danny could have easily had two "real targets"; there's nothing that would have necessarily precluded him from signing both Smith and Marbury (except, of course, if one or the other isn't bought out, or signed elsewhere).

right, but i'm just speculating that maybe he didn't want both spots to be dependent on rolls of the dice...

meaning, let's nail down a guy in the front court and then really hone in on Mar...

certainly, it's possible to go after both guys, but if Danny thinks that Mar is the real impact guy, maybe he just wanted to be able to focus in on him by getting a lesser need checked off the list...

i'm not agreeing with the strategy, i'm just trying to understand the rush to go out and grab Mikki....(if that is in fact what is happening).

personally, i think you get more bang for your buck by signing Smith because i think there is a greater need at that spot....
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure Danny is capable of focusing on both Smith and Marbury at the same time. I highly doubt, rather, I know that Danny did not sign Moore just so he could "check a need off his list". The Moore signing has nothing to do with Marbury.

I'm telling you, Danny has done and will do everything he can to sign Joe Smith. Do you really think, knowing that Danny is (nevermind a paid professional) a patient guy, just said, "Aw the hell with it! I'm sick of waiting for Smith. I'm going to sign Moore just to get this thing over with"?

i hear what you're saying, but this is a bit of a special circumstance in that there is a very small window here and only about three or four players in the mix.

filling out our bench - which clearly he knows is not as strong as it should be - is gonna be like threading a needle at this point.

we know that Moore is getting bought out. Smith and Mar have to be looked at as question marks at this point, and maybe Danny didn't want to bank our bench additions on TWO question marks and decided to try and fill one and then go all out on Mar....

just speculating here.
Alright, I also understand where you're coming from. You could say that Danny signed Moore simply because he's a sure thing, and you might be right to say that. However, my point is that that doesn't relate to the Marbury situation at all.

And I could be wrong, by the way. I don't want to make it sound like I'm dismissing your point about it relating to Marbury as without a doubt wrong. I don't make a habit of padding my posts with "IMHO's" and the like, so sometimes people might be rubbed the wrong way by them. Please don't be.

not rubbed the wrong at all....it's just a big guessing game at this point with Danny.

the good thing is that this really can't drag on much longer and we should be getting our answers in short order.

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »

Offline Bozo

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I don't quite classify Moore as one of the "available".  I think Ainge, intentionally went out and made him "available". By trading Cassell, and the Toronto PG to Sac.  He still may be a backup plan B to Smith, but I don't think his buyout was random. Nor is his signing a quick decision, to : lets get this out of the way.   Rather both Mar & Smith are a crap shoot.  So now we can         play craps.  

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Depends on who is doing the shooting.

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 12:50:52 AM »

Offline HYPE.

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • There can only be one.
In this article, an implication is made that Starbury will possibly be released, but he has to have his grievance hearing with D'Antoni, though. Let's hope this solidifies the deal and Steph gets to wear that green jersey by next week.