Author Topic: Max Carlin Draft Tiers Are Awesome  (Read 5994 times)

Re: Max Carlin Draft Tiers Are Awesome
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 04:10:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I miss Chad Ford's draft tiers. 

I wonder how'd he'd break it down this year.

Maybe Zion alone in Tier 1.  Maybe nobody in Tier 2... or possibly Morant?  And then maybe nobody in Tier 3... and everyone else in Tier 4-6.  From what I've read, this is a pretty terrible draft outside the top 2-3 picks.

That is wrong.

Itsba good solid deep draft.

Alot of very serviceable role players and more than a few potential breakouts.
So lots of Tier 5 guys?

Tier 1 (potential superstars) 
Tier 2 (All-star Potential) 
Tier 3 (NBA starters)   
Tier 4 (starters/high level rotation players).   
Tier 5 (rotation players)

There were seasons, like 2013, where scouts/gms didn't have a single player in Tier 1 or Tier 2.  Granted, in 2013, Giannis ended up surpassing all expectations and Oladipo proved to be a star, but the point remains that the time it looked like a bunch of guys who max starter ceilings. 

I wonder how this draft is seen.   Zion obviously Tier 1.  Morant Tier 2?  Maybe Barret in Tier 3?  The rest is just guys with perceived rotation player ceilings, right?

I think this draft is rated similarly to 2013, i.e. a pretty weak draft as far as top tier guys in it.  It's funny, but with the league rules now favoring shooting wing types, there seems to be a larger pool since there is a greater population of guys in the 6'6" range than in the 6'10" range.

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I miss Chad Ford's draft tiers. 

I wonder how'd he'd break it down this year.

Maybe Zion alone in Tier 1.  Maybe nobody in Tier 2... or possibly Morant?  And then maybe nobody in Tier 3... and everyone else in Tier 4-6.  From what I've read, this is a pretty terrible draft outside the top 2-3 picks.

That is wrong.

Itsba good solid deep draft.

Alot of very serviceable role players and more than a few potential breakouts.
So lots of Tier 5 guys?

Tier 1 (potential superstars) 
Tier 2 (All-star Potential) 
Tier 3 (NBA starters)   
Tier 4 (starters/high level rotation players).   
Tier 5 (rotation players)

There were seasons, like 2013, where scouts/gms didn't have a single player in Tier 1 or Tier 2.  Granted, in 2013, Giannis ended up surpassing all expectations and Oladipo proved to be a star, but the point remains that the time it looked like a bunch of guys who max starter ceilings. 

I wonder how this draft is seen.   Zion obviously Tier 1.  Morant Tier 2?  Maybe Barret in Tier 3?  The rest is just guys with perceived rotation player ceilings, right?

I think this draft is rated similarly to 2013, i.e. a pretty weak draft as far as top tier guys in it.  It's funny, but with the league rules now favoring shooting wing types, there seems to be a larger pool since there is a greater population of guys in the 6'6" range than in the 6'10" range.
Except Zion is the clear #1 prospect with superstar potential.  2013 had no one close to him and no clear #1. 

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
He just posted his 3rd tier of prospects in the draft, linked below, on CelticsBlog. I've read virtually every mock draft, and many draft podcasts, and find his analysis to be the most out of the box, and thoughtful, of the bunch. He reminds me of KOC, who has gone big time on us!

I expect big things from Max!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/15/18679527/2019-nba-draft-big-board-tier-3-boston-celtics-danny-ainge-pj-washington-cam-reddish-romeo-langford

TP. This is very interesting to read and some views I haven't read anywhere else.
Horton-Tucker, Bol and Jontay Porter are intriguing and all have huge question marks (shooting, motor or health), but I'd like to gamble on one of them.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
He just posted his 3rd tier of prospects in the draft, linked below, on CelticsBlog. I've read virtually every mock draft, and many draft podcasts, and find his analysis to be the most out of the box, and thoughtful, of the bunch. He reminds me of KOC, who has gone big time on us!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/15/18679527/2019-nba-draft-big-board-tier-3-boston-celtics-danny-ainge-pj-washington-cam-reddish-romeo-langford

TP. This is very interesting to read and some views I haven't read anywhere else.
Horton-Tucker, Bol and Jontay Porter are intriguing and all have huge question marks (shooting, motor or health), but I'd like to gamble on one of them.

Porter really intrigues me.  Knee injury aside, a really quick thinker, quick release on his jump shot, really like his game.  Reminds me of Horford actually.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Porter really intrigues me.  Knee injury aside, a really quick thinker, quick release on his jump shot, really like his game.  Reminds me of Horford actually.
2 ACL tears at age 19. Maybe the 24th pick if we still own it on draft night.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

2 ACL tears at age 19. Maybe the 24th pick if we still own it on draft night.
Check out his family's injury history, especially his two elder sisters. Let other teams draft him with a first or early second.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I don't know about Max, but George Carlin was pretty funny.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 05:36:01 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I don't know about Max, but George Carlin was pretty funny.

He was  :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Everybody is saying it's a weak draft. But there's always a guy that comes out of nowhere and becomes a star. I have a feeling Zion won't end up as the best player in this class. I'm not sold on him being effective in the nba with his lack of size and shooting. It's not the 90s anymore. He may become an athletic Anthony Bennett
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Everybody is saying it's a weak draft. But there's always a guy that comes out of nowhere and becomes a star. I have a feeling Zion won't end up as the best player in this class. I'm not sold on him being effective in the nba with his lack of size and shooting. It's not the 90s anymore. He may become an athletic Anthony Bennett

I think Zion would do better in today's league than he would have done in the 1990s.

The paint is wide-open today. Perfect for an athlete with his quickness and power. In the 90s, the paint was closed off and had multiple bodies in there. Harder to get to the basket. Guys could wall off the paint and force Zion into taking jump-shots (which he can't currently make enough of). In today's league, they cannot do that. They cannot stop Zion getting the shots he wants to take.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Max Posted his Tier 2 today:

Culver
Morant
Grant Williams (we should study him more, can definitely get him at 20/22)
Brandon Clarke (was against, but think if available at 14 might be the right pick; he can give us minutes right away)
Hayes (if he drops to 14, we should strongly think of taking him as our future 5; doubt he does; Jeff Goodman loves him)
Garland
Barrett
Goga (I find him a bit slow, but at 20 or 22 may not be a bad pick)

He has Zion alone at Tier 1, which is about the only thing most everyone agrees upon in this draft.

Link below:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/17/18681135/2019-nba-draft-big-board-tiers-1-and-2-boston-celtics-14

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I like Brandon Clarke for us. He's going to drop because of his age, shooting and measurables, but he was the 2nd best player in college basketball last year. Nobody dominated like him outside of Zion.

Add him to this young core and he could contribute right away, and play a completely different role from the guys we have.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sign me up for Grant Williams, Brandon Clarke, or Jaxson Hayes.

My dream draft:

14 - Clarke
20 / 22 - Grant Williams & Matiss Thybulle
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
These three I would stay far away from:

Kevin Porter
Bol Bol
GOGA - he seems like another Zizic. Big slow and destined to be in Maine for a long time

I would like to get Herro, Clarke
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:07:21 PM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I like Brandon Clarke for us. He's going to drop because of his age, shooting and measurables, but he was the 2nd best player in college basketball last year. Nobody dominated like him outside of Zion.

Add him to this young core and he could contribute right away, and play a completely different role from the guys we have.

Add me onto the list of people hoping for Clarke.  He seems ready to contribute as a rotation player right away.  It would give us a bit more flexibility in what we do with the rest of the roster.