Author Topic: Max Carlin Draft Tiers Are Awesome  (Read 5991 times)

Max Carlin Draft Tiers Are Awesome
« on: June 15, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
He just posted his 3rd tier of prospects in the draft, linked below, on CelticsBlog. I've read virtually every mock draft, and many draft podcasts, and find his analysis to be the most out of the box, and thoughtful, of the bunch. He reminds me of KOC, who has gone big time on us!

I expect big things from Max!

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/15/18679527/2019-nba-draft-big-board-tier-3-boston-celtics-danny-ainge-pj-washington-cam-reddish-romeo-langford

Re: Max Carlin Draft Tiers Are Awesome
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Just checked tiers 3 and 4 and saw that there was no Goga Bitadze. Unless Matt is putting him in the top 10 of the draft (which I agree is a reach as much as I love Goga), I have a hard time taking his board very seriously, although I appreciate his insights.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I miss Chad Ford's draft tiers. 

I wonder how'd he'd break it down this year.

Maybe Zion alone in Tier 1.  Maybe nobody in Tier 2... or possibly Morant?  And then maybe nobody in Tier 3... and everyone else in Tier 4-6.  From what I've read, this is a pretty terrible draft outside the top 2-3 picks.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
Just checked tiers 3 and 4 and saw that there was no Goga Bitadze. Unless Matt is putting him in the top 10 of the draft (which I agree is a reach as much as I love Goga), I have a hard time taking his board very seriously, although I appreciate his insights.

Read his critiques of players. He really points out the deficiencies of guys like Reddish and Kevin Porter Jr. that I was not aware of.  Buyer beware.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Read his critiques of players. He really points out the deficiencies of guys like Reddish and Kevin Porter Jr. that I was not aware of.  Buyer beware.
I mean I wasn't high on both of them, and I was aware of such issues concerning them (although he gave a really nice analysis). I rate Goga around #10-#14, but it seems like he's either out of the entire first round or is somehow a top 10 binkie of his, with the former being more likely. I'll strongly disagree with that lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 01:32:35 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
He seems very high on Washington, as I am.  If the Celtics end up with Washington, Clarke, and Carsen Edwards I’d be ecstatic as all three could contribute next year and have room to grow!   
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
He seems very high on Washington, as I am.  If the Celtics end up with Washington, Clarke, and Carsen Edwards I’d be ecstatic as all three could contribute next year and have room to grow!
I'm warming up to Carsen Edwards, I think Fred VanVleet's stellar performance shows there is still room on great teams for shorter role players who excel at shooting.  What is his defensive reputation? Wonder how late in the draft he is going to be available.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Maybe Zion alone in Tier 1.  Maybe nobody in Tier 2... or possibly Morant?  And then maybe nobody in Tier 3... and everyone else in Tier 4-6.  From what I've read, this is a pretty terrible draft outside the top 2-3 picks.
RJ Barrett is tier 3 at the worst
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:00:21 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm warming up to Carsen Edwards, I think Fred VanVleet's stellar performance shows there is still room on great teams for shorter role players who excel at shooting.  What is his defensive reputation? Wonder how late in the draft he is going to be available.

I think he will go End of round 1, early round 2. If we got him with our own first round pick I’d be happy, he will come in and score off the bench immediately and seems to improve each season.  Smart/Edwards would complement each other well as the point guards and he could play off the ball if Rozier is retained in a bench role.

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 02:09:08 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

That is wrong.

Itsba good solid deep draft.

Alot of very serviceable role players and more than a few potential breakouts.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That is wrong.

So lots of Tier 5 guys?

Tier 1 (potential superstars) 
Tier 2 (All-star Potential) 
Tier 3 (NBA starters)   
Tier 4 (starters/high level rotation players).   
Tier 5 (rotation players)

There were seasons, like 2013, where scouts/gms didn't have a single player in Tier 1 or Tier 2.  Granted, in 2013, Giannis ended up surpassing all expectations and Oladipo proved to be a star, but the point remains that the time it looked like a bunch of guys who max starter ceilings. 

I wonder how this draft is seen.   Zion obviously Tier 1.  Morant Tier 2?  Maybe Barret in Tier 3?  The rest is just guys with perceived rotation player ceilings, right?

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That is wrong.

You're pretty much alone in that opinion.  Its definitely a weak draft from say 4-12 or so.  I'm not particularly sold on Morant and Barrett.   So I'd say its weak from 2-12 or so. 

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I mean I wasn't high on both of them, and I was aware of such issues concerning them (although he gave a really nice analysis). I rate Goga around #10-#14, but it seems like he's either out of the entire first round or is somehow a top 10 binkie of his, with the former being more likely. I'll strongly disagree with that lol.
I'm guessing he'll have Goga at 8 or 9 which isn't unreasonable in this draft. 

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Tiers don't predict where a player will be drafted necessarily. It's more where the writer thinks they fit in the long term assessment of the draft.
There are tier 2 guys that should be available with 14 or even 20. Equally Doumbouya(?) is tier 4 despite being almost guaranteed a top 10 draft slot

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Tiers don't predict where a player will be drafted necessarily. It's more where the writer thinks they fit in the long term assessment of the draft.
There are tier 2 guys that should be available with 14 or even 20. Equally Doumbouya(?) is tier 4 despite being almost guaranteed a top 10 draft slot
Tier 2 guys are not going to be available at 14 or 20.