Other Discussions > Off Topic

RIP Sports Illustrated?

(1/5) > >>

Donoghus:
I cancelled my subscription years ago because the quality seemed to be going downhill plus I was getting more and more of my news and reading from the internet but still sad to see possibly the end of an era.

When I was a kid, I remember running to the mailbox to get the newest issue (my dad had a subscription).  It was must reading and some of the best sports photography out there.

Birdman:
I remember running to the mailbox hoping my Sporting News was there, only way I got info on sports

rocknrollforyoursoul:
I never subscribed, but throughout my junior high/high school/college years, spanning the late ’80s through the late ’90s, I loved seeing the awesome photography in SI, and the articles were usually quite good.

Unfortunately, for all the good things about the internet age, it has caused the demise of print publications, and to me that's really sad. I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper, and have done lots of print newspaper reading in my adult years. I studied journalism in college, and my first 10 years in the full-time workforce were spent as a copy editor for daily newspaper in Maine and SoCal. I love the printed word. I do some reading of Kindle books, but for me, nothing can match the experience of holding a hard copy, an actual physical book, or an actual physical newspaper or magazine. Not all progress is progress.

Roy H.:
SI fell a long, long way.  I'm sad to see them go, though.  I remember the first year my parents bought me an SI subscription as a kid.  I even got a "football phone", even though we didn't have a second landline.  Then came the first swimsuit issue.  Good times!

And, the value was there.  It was $50 or less for a year's worth of weekly issues, with some really top notch articles.

Fast forward a few decades, and they've got AI "writing" their articles under the bylines of non-existent authors.  Sad.

SparzWizard:
Unfortunately, all news can be found on the Internet and social media nowadays. They're moving on with the times.

SI was a great time to live through tho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version