Author Topic: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?  (Read 106948 times)

Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »

Offline FrDrake

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
Off topic: Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know? 

Re: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Off topic: Does anyone ever notice on this board that posters usually tend to respond more to high-volume posters who they already know, even when the comments are redundant, rather than notice posts from others who they may not know? 

You should start a new topic, in fact I'll do it for you.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224

Yeah. You get used to it after a while.

As a fellow nobody, I'll respond to you:  I agree the new CBA is probably going to be the determining factor.  We're not going to overpay for Green, I hope, so if he gets a big head I expect to see us let him walk.  Danny has been too careful with contracts and trades to blow it now.  Best case for all involved is to take the one-year, and then see what happens.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

That's kind of bizarre. I've never noticed that.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Where is it?

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110

AGREE
It is why I hardly post in here anymore. If you aren't browbeaten by a Mod who thinks he is God, insulted by a poster who says you don't know the sport, then you are ignored...

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

AGREE
It is why I hardly post in here anymore. If you aren't browbeaten by a Mod who thinks he is God, insulted by a poster who says you don't know the sport, then you are ignored...

AGREE X2

I'm rarely a victim of this... but I have been before and I see it when it happens to other people. Issues still exist that I used to discuss with others about a year ago. It's a waste of time to talk about it though. Just ignore it the same way they ignore you.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570

AGREE

I'm sorry. Did you say something? ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

AGREE

AGREE X2

I'm rarely a victim of this... but I have been before and I see it when it happens to other people. Issues still exist that I used to discuss with others about a year ago. It's a waste of time to talk about it though. Just ignore it the same way they ignore you.

I should also point out that it isn't always prominent posters who ignore people who post less in favor of agreeing with other prominent posters that they're friends with.

I have been ignored by posters that have very few posts on many occassions where they will agree with something somebody like Roy or Faf say even if it's exactly what I said. (Just an example not sure if it's true with those particular posters)

It's not because of friendships or people being rude... although that is still an issue... just a separate topic. It's because people's eyes are drawn to the stars and large pos counts and TP counts. People who have been around longer also tend to have banners and avatars and what not. Newer posters may become victims of being ignored because they're posts simply don't seduce reader's eyes.

That is my psychological observation... people may disagree. I'm sure most mods will disagree because they never agree with me when I point out the gap between mods and ordinary posters... but it does exist.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:12:40 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Where is it?
Technical issues with trying to split the topic atm, seems something got messed up with my permissions or with the forums themselves.

Either way if you want to continue comment on it feel free to start a new thread in the Community section. Future OT posts in this thread will be deleted, and current ones will be split off and merged when we've gotten things fixed.

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Where is it?
Technical issues with trying to split the topic atm, seems something got messed up with my permissions or with the forums themselves.

Either way if you want to continue comment on it feel free to start a new thread in the Community section. Future OT posts in this thread will be deleted, and current ones will be split off and merged when we've gotten things fixed.

If no one objects, I am going to try a cheat. 

You might see your post deleted, but I should reappear later in another topic.

If not, I apologizes for losing you post. 

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
So now, my post that was on-topic in the other thread, is now off-topic for this thread.

Is this awesome?  [y/n]

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

AGREE

AGREE X2

I should also point out that it isn't always prominent posters who ignore people who post less in favor of agreeing with other prominent posters that they're friends with.

I've been on the board for years and I don't think I could really identify which prominent posters are friends with each other and which aren't. I'm not even sure which posters would be considered "friends" of mine.

And, yes, I've considered the (high) probability that the list would be extremely short...

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As for the original question, if what you write garners interest, you will get response.  (see this thread)

As for volume poster (me being the 2nd biggest volume at this point) I have dropped many posts that never get response.  I have dropped many post that garnered one response.   I have dropped posts that have garnered pages.  

But in many ways, I get responded to more often is because I have more out there to respond to.  I am averaging just under 15 posts a day.  There is a better chance I will be responded to.

Also, the order of posts.  If everyone is responding to an earlier post, they might not have gotten to yours yet.  Or, they may just be waiting for someone else to respond to what others are say.

But at the same time, it would not surprise me if posters sometimes find themselves drawn to the familiar posters.  The poster they are used to reading.  The ones you know.  

So, this is not a conspiracy to ignore new or low post count posters.