Author Topic: What will it take to resign Jeff Green?  (Read 16252 times)

Re: What will it take to resign Jeff Green?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Success.

For those looking for the "off topic"

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=45950.0

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still think it is entirely possible that somebody gives Green a contract that we won't match, hopefully giving us decent trade prospects. Unless Green plays for the qualifying offer and then leaves as a FA, the Perk trade really won't have been for nothing.

As for his market value, I think it is shrinking day by day. I am happy to have him here and think he is a great young player, but he is currently a role player and the longer he is a back up, the less gms will think of him - probably part of Danny's plan.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think the CBA will drive his contract after next year but I think we'll get him for one more year on the qualifying offer alone. 

At this point, I don't see him worth more than $7-8 mill a year.  That's a lot for a bench player that doesn't rebound or play great defense (yet).  He's not a consistant scorer (yet) either. 

He's a nice piece going forward after the big 3 but not worth breaking the bank to keep.  He's not a franchise player nor would I consider him a "#2" type of player.  A #3 option (like he was in OKC) certainly, but if we need him to be more than that, we're screwed as a franchise.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
In the short term, I see Green as a potential Sixth Man of the year next season.

2009-2010 salaries for the top guys in voting for the award last season:
Jamal Crawford $10,800,000
Jason Terry $10,650,000
Anderson Varajao $7,281,818
Mano Ginobili $11,854,584
JR Smith $6,757,851
Lamar Odom $8,200,000
Paul Milsap $7,600,000
Carl Landry $3,000,000
Udonis Haslem $3,500,000
Marcus Thornton $762,195

I would say that, considering his youth and upside, Green is probably worth somewhere in the $7-10 million range, but I can definitely see a team being willing to give him Ben Gordon-ish money, especially if Green has a strong playoff performance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Jeff Green is a nice player, but so far I don't see all star potential.

In my book, and under the current rules, That places Green in the $8 million per year range.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he is only a 1/2 year or 1 1/2 year rental. If some other team overpays, he should go.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
In the short term, I see Green as a potential Sixth Man of the year next season.

2009-2010 salaries for the top guys in voting for the award last season:
Jamal Crawford $10,800,000
Jason Terry $10,650,000
Anderson Varajao $7,281,818
Mano Ginobili $11,854,584
JR Smith $6,757,851
Lamar Odom $8,200,000
Paul Milsap $7,600,000
Carl Landry $3,000,000
Udonis Haslem $3,500,000
Marcus Thornton $762,195

I would say that, considering his youth and upside, Green is probably worth somewhere in the $7-10 million range, but I can definitely see a team being willing to give him Ben Gordon-ish money, especially if Green has a strong playoff performance.

Thank you for posting those salaries. I didn't realize Crawford was so overpaid (although I did know Terry broke the bank). I realize that these two guys provide a great service to their teams, but nobody except Ginobili should make over 10 mill on that list. The player that many posters compare Green [to what they hope he will be one day] is Odom and he only makes 8 mill. I think this puts Green more in the 6-7 mill range, especially if he continues as a back up.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Thank you for posting those salaries. I didn't realize Crawford was so overpaid (although I did know Terry broke the bank). I realize that these two guys provide a great service to their teams, but nobody except Ginobili should make over 10 mill on that list. The player that many posters compare Green [to what they hope he will be one day] is Odom and he only makes 8 mill. I think this puts Green more in the 6-7 mill range, especially if he continues as a back up.

I think Odom is regarded as underpaid throughout the league. I know the fans and media in LA thought they got Odom back at a great price tag.

The current CBA can sometimes squeeze the just below all star level players. Odom fell into that because he really wanted to stay in LA and wasn't too interested in his other option(s).

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Odom and Terry are easily worth $10 million, based on their relative contribution to their teams. They all provide starter minutes, and can easily be productive starters on any team in the league.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think Odom is regarded as underpaid throughout the league. I know the fans and media in LA thought they got Odom back at a great price tag.

The current CBA can sometimes squeeze the just below all star level players. Odom fell into that because he really wanted to stay in LA and wasn't too interested in his other option(s).
He basically was in a situation where everyone knew he wanted to stay in LA. Only Portland had much interest, and after they talked to him they decided not to persue him. They knew he just wanted to stay in LA.

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Miami was also bidding for Odom, who made $14 million in the final year of the contract before his current one.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 07:17:49 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
The purpose of getting his contract was to allow us to give the qualifying offer if he wanted too much and then allow us to evaluate the level of interest for top free agents in 2012.  Perkins would have needed a contract now and that would have tied our hands.  This way we get to pay Green something like 6 million for another year and then he has a cap hold of under 8 million which allows us some free agent money and the abilituy to resign him at 10 million if he develops this year.

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, I think we're going to have to pay more than he's worth.  Green will want to be paid like a #2 or #3 option (10 million a year or more).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Yeah, I think we're going to have to pay more than he's worth.  Green will want to be paid like a #2 or #3 option (10 million a year or more).
once the big three are gone, and Rondo is still here--what does that make Green? a #2, #3 or what? 10mil sounds like starter money to me, and depending what happens after this season, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
once the big three are gone, and Rondo is still here--what does that make Green? a #2, #3 or what? 10mil sounds like starter money to me, and depending what happens after this season, that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

I'm hoping that we can secure another big player by then and Green is a #3 but I don't think 10 mil is unreasonable just not until after next season to see how a full year improves his game.

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Maybe I just think everyone is overpaid. I don't know. I will stand firmly by my assumption that Green will not get 10 mill on the open market. Jack of all trade, master of none guys are very useful cogs to teams, but they don't usually get enormous contracts.