Author Topic: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?  (Read 38791 times)

Re: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 136
If we actually had our full team playing, including Shaq and JO. I dont think people would remember who Perkins was.

I don't think that's true at all, but to each their own.

I didnt phrase that properly.

I should have said people wouldnt be making as big as deal about the trade in terms of making or breaking our team, because they would see how good we were without Perkins and our health wouldnt be in question.

Fans have forgotten what this team was like with Shaq starting beacuse we havent see him play in so long. We forgot that when JO did play he was very good defensively and was a good shot blocker.

We didnt get the #1 seed over Chicago, Miami and Orlando because we were lucky. We got the #1 seed beacause with Shaq starting, JO, Delonte and Perkins on the bench, we were still the best team in the east.

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If we actually had our full team playing, including Shaq and JO. I dont think people would remember who Perkins was.

I should have said people wouldnt be making as big as deal about the trade in terms of making or breaking our team, because they would see how good we were without Perkins and our health wouldnt be in question.

Fans have forgotten what this team was like with Shaq starting beacuse we havent see him play in so long. We forgot that when JO did play he was very good defensively and was a good shot blocker.

We didnt get the #1 seed over Chicago, Miami and Orlando because we were lucky. We got the #1 seed beacause with Shaq starting, JO, Delonte and Perkins on the bench, we were still the best team in the east.

I agree.  I think a ton of the handwringing is because the Oneals are not only out, but have been out for a long time, and have been consistently pushed back from returning.  Particularly after the KG episode a couple years ago, I think everyone is (understandably) cautious to count on anyone coming back when it is a somewhat mysterious injury.

I think once they get on the floor, the collective blood pressure will drop considerably among Celtics fans.

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I won't forget Kendrick Perkins.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I agree.  I think a ton of the handwringing is because the Oneals are not only out, but have been out for a long time, and have been consistently pushed back from returning.  Particularly after the KG episode a couple years ago, I think everyone is (understandably) cautious to count on anyone coming back when it is a somewhat mysterious injury.

I think once they get on the floor, the collective blood pressure will drop considerably among Celtics fans.

I don't know if that's giving enough credit to people who aren't fans of the trade.  They're not ignorant rubes with short memories.  Rather, they just have different opinions over the value of what Perk brings than you guys and others do. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is what I don't understand.

It's still an open book.

We're not going to have an answer for months and, even then, we may not have an answer.  This could very well be debated for years.  

You can draw a line in the sand with this trade but I think that's vague if you consider peoples' perspectives.  And you certainly can't shut up the other side yet or even attempt to.

On March 16th, IMO, it's a futile attempt.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney

It's still an open book.

We're not going to have an answer for months and, even then, we may not have an answer.  This could very well be debated for years.  

You can draw a line in the sand with this trade but I think that's vague if you consider peoples' perspectives.  And you certainly can't shut up the other side yet or even attempt to.

This trade will only be able to be judged if we play LA in the Finals.

If we stay the #2 seed, we wont face Orlando. It was clear we didnt need Perk to beat Chicago or Miami, they dont have dominant big men, in fact, out of Miami and Chicago, the only big man with a semblence of an offensive game are Boozer and Bosh, and KG would be guarding them. Perkins would not be much of a factor in the east unless we faced Orlando.

Will Shaq, KG, and JO, be able to battle, and hold up against Gasol, Bynum, Odom.

Thats where this trade will be judged.

If they are, trades a win, beacuse we gained a ton of offense, If Shaq, JO, and KG cant handle the bigs of the Lakers, then we can look the trade for the reason we lost.

Thats all there is to it. All this talk about it just makes me uneasy, why cant we just wait and see.

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
All this talk about it just makes me uneasy, why cant we just wait and see.

You were the first to set the ball rolling on this subject. :P

Stick a fork in this team, they are done.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 06:04:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's still an open book.

If we stay the #2 seed, we wont face Orlando. It was clear we didnt need Perk to beat Chicago or Miami, they dont have dominant big men, in fact, out of Miami and Chicago, the only big man with a semblence of an offensive game are Boozer and Bosh, and KG would be guarding them. Perkins would not be much of a factor in the east unless we faced Orlando.

Will Shaq, KG, and JO, be able to battle, and hold up against Gasol, Bynum, Odom.

If they are, trades a win, beacuse we gained a ton of offense, If Shaq, JO, and KG cant handle the bigs of the Lakers, then we can look the trade for the reason we lost.

Thats all there is to it. All this talk about it just makes me uneasy, why cant we just wait and see.

I disagree with this.  I think you'll be able to judge it from several perspectives that don't invovle a Lakers-Celtics Finals.

1) If this team ends up going on to win the title or come up short because of depth strengths or issues, we can definitely look at the trade because of what we got in return, gave up, and the couple buyout pickups we made after it which you can claim were, in part, a result of the trade.  This is regardless of Finals opponent.  Depth could be illustrated throught the playoffs.

2)  You can judge this trade based on what will transpire during the offseasaon and how it affects this team on the court in '11-12.  What FA's are picked up, any trades, extensions, etc.  Some of that stuff you can look back on this trade and see what impact it made.

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It's still an open book.

I think if the C's don't win it all they'll be judged on this trade. Though they might get a pass somewhat if they make the Finals and fall short again.

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 06:08:00 PM »

Offline Megatron

• Don Chaney

It's still an open book.

I disagree with this.  I think you'll be able to judge it from several perspectives that don't invovle a Lakers-Celtics Finals.

1) If this team ends up going on to win the title or come up short because of depth strengths or issues, we can definitely look at the trade because of what we got in return, gave up, and the couple buyout pickups we made after it which you can claim were, in part, a result of the trade.  This is regardless of Finals opponent.  Depth could be illustrated throught the playoffs.

2)  You can judge this trade based on what will transpire during the offseasaon and how it affects this team on the court in '11-12.  What FA's are picked up, any trades, extensions, etc.  Some of that stuff you can look back on this trade and see what impact it made.

We have plenty of Depth. We have a better bench now then we did before the trade. Before the trade we had a bunch of injured players, no backup for Pierce and no back up point guard.

We are much better depth wise post-trade.

To think that this team would contend next season would be wishful thinking at best. This team is old, there is only so long they are going to be able to be at the top. I think this is the last year for our core, with next year depending on how much better the Bulls/Heat get in the offseason.

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I agree.  I think a ton of the handwringing is because the Oneals are not only out, but have been out for a long time, and have been consistently pushed back from returning.  Particularly after the KG episode a couple years ago, I think everyone is (understandably) cautious to count on anyone coming back when it is a somewhat mysterious injury.

I don't know if that's giving enough credit to people who aren't fans of the trade.  They're not ignorant rubes with short memories.  Rather, they just have different opinions over the value of what Perk brings than you guys and others do. 

I think we have moved from the land of mystery on the Shaq question to the land of crossed-fingers.

For the purposes of getting a groove going, Shaq needs to be playing by now. Get 10 or so games in and then rest up the last couple weeks of the season.

It seems pretty clear that there have been road bumps in his recovery that were not necessarily predicted when the Perk trade was made...

Shaq has said he would be playing now if it were the playoffs and I believe him on that. but the question is at what level? I tend to think that he would not be playing at the level we would need him to be playing at or not for as long of a stretch as we would need. I think he would be out there competing but not moving like he did at the beginning of the season when the team was showing it could still dominate on D without Perk...

So when people point out that Shaq could be playing right now, I don't think that is an adequate response to those concerned about losing Perk via the trade...

At this point I think we all need to be holding our breath...even those who liked the trade because we are rapidly moving into the "not enough time to get healthy/conditioned" zone as far as Shaq is concerned.

and the fact that we're not hearing anything about him in the past few days isn't helping.

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

It's still an open book.

We have plenty of Depth. We have a better bench now then we did before the trade. Before the trade we had a bunch of injured players, no backup for Pierce and no back up point guard.

We are much better depth wise post-trade.

To think that this team would contend next season would be wishful thinking at best. This team is old, there is only so long they are going to be able to be at the top. I think this is the last year for our core, with next year depending on how much better the Bulls/Heat get in the offseason.

I think you're trying to make this black & white when it's really not.  

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I wish we could 'let it go'. 

Unfortunately, the bottom line on the trade is a championship.  If the C's win, then I don't think there will be anyone arguing against the trade. If the C's do not win (even though we weren't assured a win with Perk), then it will forever be blamed on the trade by some.  I don't believe that the championship really provides anything definitive about the quality of the trade as we can never know what would have happened if the trade didn't happen.

A Perk injury, of course, would make the issue moot.  Sustained injuries to Shaq/JO will also hurt the pro-trade argument.

Most unfortunate will  be (I expect) the daily declarations that will surely come based on Perk's performance and Krstic's performance game by game.  This is most unfair, but is the way it goes here sometimes.   

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

It's still an open book.

I think if the C's don't win it all they'll be judged on this trade. Though they might get a pass somewhat if they make the Finals and fall short again.

I'll definitely be less inclined to criticize this trade if we make the Finals but lose there. making the Finals is a huge accomplishment.

I'll be frustrated but the sting will be less because that's a pretty good run...and winning it all was not guaranteed with Perk. I just think it gave us the best chance.

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
All this talk about it just makes me uneasy, why cant we just wait and see.

You were the first to set the ball rolling on this subject. :P

Stick a fork in this team, they are done.

:D Good find!