Author Topic: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?  (Read 38836 times)

Re: Should Perk fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The jury is still out on the trade.  On paper it appears as though The team has more talent but Championships are won on the court not on paper.  If the team can't recapture the chemistry that they had before the trade and win a championship this season, the trade will always be a failure on Danny's part in my mind.  Not because he traded Perk, but because of when he did it.  Changing 5 players just over 20 games before the playoffs is very risky and if the Celtics don't win it this season, I'll always view it as a mistake by Danny.  But there isn't much to talk about it now even though the struggles the team is going through are more than likely tied to the trades he made.  

With all that said, Perk will always be my favorite player and I'll always miss him. I'll be rooting for him on the Thunder. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:32:42 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Perkins trade re-visited
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

Obsession? Talking about a player who was a Celtic until a little over two weeks ago is not obsession...especially if that trade has the potential to impact our championship chances in a negative way. Bring back Antoine or Bring back Gerald Green is obsession...not "Perkins trade revisited".

Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

I just don't get this... :-\

I think you're actually [intentionally being disagreeable] by trying to take a subtle shot at the OP just because he happens to be a mod...when was the last time you saw a Antonie or Gerald Green or Sheed thread where the OP or anybody else advocating for their comeback was called "immature" or something similar.

The insulting part is the insinuation that only the "lowly" posters are critical of the trade. whereas the more high-brow posters think the trade was just fine...how dare Roy sink down to the level of us "peons" who think Perk was an important part of our team and shouldn't have been traded...you should be ashamed of yourself, Roy ;D

Well, maybe you don't want to acknowledge it, but there is an unspoken pecking order here at this site.  There is a "culture" that sets in nearly everywhere that people hang out at.  There's one here too...doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but it's a reality that I'm not afraid to admit.  People like Roy H. get the benefit of the doubt because there are those who want to get their posts acknowledged by kissing a Mod's hind-end.

From the moment this trade was made I supported it.  If Danny felt it was good, then so did I.  I understand that the NBA is a business, and I have no ties to any of these players, including Kendrick Perkins. 

Plus, I've mentioned in other threads about my personal spiritual-religious beliefs and have taken conservative stands.  You don't think I got blackballed by some for that?  Trust me, I saw a change in tone toward me when I stood up for certain principles I have.  I'm not making this up...it was obvious that my posts were being singled out by some who now didn't like me.  I'm NOT saying Roy did this (not for a single second).  But there's a culture here where some do...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I think the hierarchy of threads runs something like:

1. Should Anotine fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

2. Should Gerald Green fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

3. Should Posey fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

4. Should Powe fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

5. Should Rasheed fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

6. Should Shelden fans "let it go", or is there still stuff to talk about?

...did any of those threads come up?? No..then why is more than half the blog allergic to Perkins all of a sudden?

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Re: Perkins trade re-visited
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I know I'll get called out for this, but I just don't understand Roy H.'s obsession with this.  Maybe my expectations are slightly higher for a moderator, but I just don't see the point.  Are we going to make this comparison all season long?

Obsession? Talking about a player who was a Celtic until a little over two weeks ago is not obsession...especially if that trade has the potential to impact our championship chances in a negative way. Bring back Antoine or Bring back Gerald Green is obsession...not "Perkins trade revisited".

Sorry, my intentions are not to be a jerk, but if this were a typical peon who doesn't have name recognition at this site my guess is he'd get called out for being immature and unable to let it go...

I just don't get this... :-\

I think you're actually [intentionally being disagreeable] by trying to take a subtle shot at the OP just because he happens to be a mod...when was the last time you saw a Antonie or Gerald Green or Sheed thread where the OP or anybody else advocating for their comeback was called "immature" or something similar.

The insulting part is the insinuation that only the "lowly" posters are critical of the trade. whereas the more high-brow posters think the trade was just fine...how dare Roy sink down to the level of us "peons" who think Perk was an important part of our team and shouldn't have been traded...you should be ashamed of yourself, Roy ;D

Well, maybe you don't want to acknowledge it, but there is an unspoken pecking order here at this site.  There is a "culture" that sets in nearly everywhere that people hang out at.  There's one here too...doesn't mean it's a bad thing, but it's a reality that I'm not afraid to admit.  People like Roy H. get the benefit of the doubt because there are those who want to get their posts acknowledged by kissing a Mod's hind-end.

From the moment this trade was made I supported it.  If Danny felt it was good, then so did I.  I understand that the NBA is a business, and I have no ties to any of these players, including Kendrick Perkins. 

Plus, I've mentioned in other threads about my personal spiritual-religious beliefs and have taken conservative stands.  You don't think I got blackballed by some for that?  Trust me, I saw a change in tone toward me when I stood up for certain principles I have.  I'm not making this up...it was obvious that my posts were being singled out by some who now didn't like me.  I'm NOT saying Roy did this (not for a single second).  But there's a culture here where some do...

I honestly don't know what you are referring to here. what does the KP trade have to do with posters treating you differently?

the line of inquiry on the Perk trade is legit on both sides...especially since we won't know the full impact until playoff time. from now till then, this is prime blog material. people staking out their claims until  we ultimately see who's right? That's what sports blogging is and this topic is prime real estate...

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There have been a lot of obsessive thread about this, but I don't think Roy H's thread was obsessive. It seemed tongue in cheek.

I think the point is that he is giving a playful poke to those who exagerate the significance of every good performance by Green or Krstic and who talk as if Perk is garbage.

Ultimately, it will take time to evaluate the move.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There's a certain amount of name recognition, I agree.  That said, why question people's motives?  Ask winsomme (since you're responding to him) -- he and I have been on opposite sides of debates *a lot* on this blog.  I don't think he's ever been accused of kissing my butt.  I think the people who are anti-trade deserve the respect of thinking that they can make up their own mind. 

Not everyone who agrees with a mod is pandering.  On the issue of the trade, it's not like there's a staff consensus, anyway.  There are a couple of vocal opponents (although it's more of a "wait and see" thing, rather than a "we're doomed" argument), and a few vocal proponents. 

Also, if there are posters who like to agree with mods because of whatever "favor" that wins them (which would be, what, Tommy Points?), there are certainly posters who like to argue with those in authority.  They're certainly entitled; the world needs contrarians.  However, it's not just a one-way street where everybody pats us on the back all the time.

You're entitled to your opinion.  I think every person is capable of mistakes, so I would never adopt a position of "If Danny felt it was good, then so did I".  I like to do my own analysis on things, rather than just blindly saying "In Danny I trust".

I haven't noticed this, and we haven't received any reports on it.  I'm sure that there are some people who like others less due to their religion or political stances.  That said, it's certainly not coming from me (especially since we share similar views on a lot of those issues), and I think the overwhelming majority of posters here are willing to put politics aside when discussing the Celtics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
So does everyone really believe that comparing EVERY game that Perk plays against every game that Krstic plays is smart debate?

What will that accomplish?  No offense, but that seems juvenile and immature...  I don't understand what that will achieve.  Sorry, but I just don't get it...maybe I'm  missing something.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

...did any of those threads come up?? No..then why is more than half the blog allergic to Perkins all of a sudden?

There are Shelden fans?

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I think many thought the trade was a slam dunk when it was made and are now seeing our defense without a big in the middle and also know our history of saying players are on their way back (ahem, Shaq) and not certain that will ever happen...

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There are Shelden fans?

There's at least one vocal one who blames Doc for never playing him.  But hey, to each their own.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
So does everyone really believe that comparing EVERY game that Perk plays against every game that Krstic plays is smart debate?

What will that accomplish?  No offense, but that seems juvenile and immature...  I don't understand what that will achieve.  Sorry, but I just don't get it...maybe I'm  missing something.

you're not curious how OKC does against the Heat tonight and won't want to discuss it afterwards? C'mon AJ...

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Re-read this post:

There have been a lot of obsessive thread about this, but I don't think Roy H's thread was obsessive. It seemed tongue in cheek.

I think the point is that he is giving a playful poke to those who exagerate the significance of every good performance by Green or Krstic and who talk as if Perk is garbage.

Ultimately, it will take time to evaluate the move.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Again, I would be at your defense if Roy was serious... because comparing every game would be ridiculous and "obsessive", but Roy made it pretty clear he was kidding around with the ;) and the "Just kidding".

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why?  

Does the trade not effect the Celtics going forward?  

Are trades made in a vacuum?  

I do not like all of the negative posts about Rondo recently, but he is not playing well and it is a topic to discuss.  

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, this is my problem.  I am fine with the debate, but I just find the microanalysis trying, and pretty much useless.  For any stats sited, they are just such small sample sizes, and there are so many variable, given how different the teams and systems are.  

Basically, the arguments we are having now do not have a whole lot more evidence than we had when the trade was made.  And from a macro point of view, none of this matters until we see how things look in the playoffs anyways.