Author Topic: Maybe we need a science thread?  (Read 13955 times)

Re: Maybe we need a science thread?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Science is my religion.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Maybe we need a science thread and then a separate "compare science and religion" thread.  And a third "I understand a major scientific field better than the consensus of those who study it for a living" thread could be useful too.

On a related note, here's a good summary of one of the issues that comes up a lot here and elsewhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyCkADmNdNo

This is a bit simplified but does a good job of summing up the basic evidence that underlies our understanding of the Big Bang.  Well worth a watch.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I do not not not like the direction this thread is going already. I meant it as a "Wow. That is cool and that is an interesting thought thread".  Or "Wow. Technology is amazing".

Not a "I like this aspect of life, but not this one...enter social commentary".

The conflict between science and religion is an imagined one and it's what we make of it.

Sometimes the two even help each other out.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The not not not is of course for emphasis. Not some strange triple negative to have to figure out

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I do not not not like the direction this thread is going already. I meant it as a "Wow. That is cool and that is an interesting thought thread".  Or "Wow. Technology is amazing".

Not a "I like this aspect of life, but not this one...enter social commentary".

The conflict between science and religion is an imagined one and it's what we make of it.

Sometimes the two even help each other out.

I'm with you, believe me. 

Here's one of my favorite videos on the applied side. This is a prototype of a military pack robot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJJQ0zNNOM&

Fascinating how it moves but also creepy as hell.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That was definitely incredibly creepy.

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'll just say one thing about science vs religion. Religion makes truth claims with no evidence whatsoever. That is in fact the near definition of "faith". That is fine, however do not confuse faith with science. Science in no way operates like this. Scientists have to sell their ideas in the marketplace of ideas to other scientists whom are utterly skeptical of their work. To compare this to a religion is ridiculous.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'll just say one thing about science vs religion. Religion makes truth claims with no evidence whatsoever. That is in fact the near definition of "faith". That is fine, however do not confuse faith with science. Science in no way operates like this. Scientists have to sell their ideas in the marketplace of ideas to other scientists whom are utterly skeptical of their work. To compare this to a religion is ridiculous.

Science and religion is the ultimate oranges vs apples scenario. Both of them have their issues. 

Science at its most extreme says "No evidence of God. Therefore do whatever you want. If it feels good do it. Don't be an idiot and believe in unseeable unprovable spaghetti monsters".  That just isn't going to fly. It's not.

The natural extreme of religion says  "A guy spoke to God and/or was resurrected and you didn't see it. Therefore change what you have been doing or believed."  That will also only fly to a certain extent.

They're just two different belief systems with two different sets of implications that bother people, so people strike back against both because ultimately they want to be their own God.

Both religion and science have been abused for whatever people wanted to do.

The problem isn't religion or science. It's us. 

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Before this goes too far, let me put this out there.  Please do not use this thread to discuss Science vs. Religion.  I believe there is a thread (or several) in the Current Events forum that get into that, so you can go there to discuss it if you wish.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am going to honor the title of this thread, and move it to the Comments and remarks forum.  Science in general is way too broad for one thread.  If you would like to discuss particular advances/fields/etc. in science, I recommend starting new threads in the Off Topic Forum.  Some of this stuff is very interesting, but it would get lost in a thread like this, and would be hard to follow multiple discussions at once in one thread.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Science isn't a belief system, its a methodology for learning and experimentation.

The coolest thing I've read about recently is how the Navy is looking at using salt water to replace the huge arrays of antennas on their ships.

Apparently a spout of sea water being shot vertically (like a fountain) can be used as a pretty powerful one. I read about it in the Economist yesterday.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:24 AM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
can this thread exclusively be about science?

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Science isn't a belief system, its a methodology for learning and experimentation.

The coolest thing I've read about recently is how the Navy is looking at using salt water to replace the huge arrays of antennas on their ships.

Apparently a spout of sea water being shot vertically (like a fountain) can be used as a pretty powerful one. I read about it in the Economist yesterday.
Sea water can be used as a radio antenna? 

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I guess this is sciency.

Science isn't a belief system, but the results of scientific discoveries or theories can have implications and beliefs attached to it.  It's not in a vacuum. 

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Sea water can be used as a radio antenna?  

I've been advocating getting away from getting back to the gold standard for years...the secret? Salt. Sodium chloride is a magic substance..it can transmit electricity, it can preserve meat, it makes our muscles work, it makes food taste better..what better model for currency?

Wait...what about water? Oh no...that's just nuts.  

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner