Author Topic: Posting unfounded NBA records.  (Read 32773 times)

Re: Posting unfounded NBA records.
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Well I found the play by play of the 2002 WCF Game 6 Kings vs Lakers.  I only found 3 consecutive foul calls at most made against the Kings in the 4th, which was supposed to be the worst officiated game ever.

So what exactly is the explanation for 10 consecutive non-intentional fouls in 5:38?

If someone could give me a valid explanation I would appreciate it.
I would think though, if you did give a valid explanation, that it would be backed up by another example of a worse string of calls in basketball history.

If there is no explanation and no example, I will have an explanation that I guess I will have to keep to myself.

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
With all due respect, I think some posters need to get that stick out of the bum-bum.  Who cares if these are true or not?  Since when do we have to come up with statistical sources to prove a claim?  I understand rumors, because those can be avalanched, but if we all have to provide sources when posting numbers then we'd be in trouble.  Maybe we should start adding footnotes in the end of the posts, or perhaps add a bibliography in the end.  I am sorry, I just got frustrated by reading 4 pages of whining from both sides of the argument, and nothing from the actual purpose of the thread.

I don't think it's too much to ask to require people not to completely make stuff up, and call them facts.  Part of the purpose of this blog is to help educate Celtics fans, and that purpose is frustrated by people posting outright lies.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
I'm trying to find out here if 10 in 5:38 is a record or not, that is the purpose of the thread for me.  If it isn't a valid purpose I apologize, but it isn't something I am trying to do on purpose.  If no one can tell me who got a worse string of calls than that I have to accept the fact that this is the worse string in history.  I still may be incorrect, but for me I have to accept the fact it is, because I haven't heard or seen anything to the contrary.

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 11:31:24 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Cool so if education is the purpose:

Is 10 in 5:38 a record or not?

I think it is, but it is only my opinion. I do think that posting the fact that 10 were called in 5:38 serves as an educational purpose, becuase if I didn't post it, I bet nobody would have realized that this occured.

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
If I open up the Guiness Book of World Records and it reads:

Most Consecutive Foul Calls(10 or more)against one NBA team shortest period of time:?

What game are they going to be talking about?

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
What team holds the record for most consecutive foul calls(10 or more) in the shortest period of time?

Does anybody know the answer?

It couldn't be 11/13/09 Hawks at Celtics.     Celtics 10 in 5:38, could it be?

If you can tell me this isn't true I thank you for your time and effort.

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
The fact that nobody has responded to give an explanation for this 10 in 5:38 on 11/13/09 gives me the impression that something strange occurred "behind the scenes".

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2009, 11:54:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
nba.com just look at the box score from the Celtics Hawks game Fri night 11/13, and look at the 10 game stretch last year from the Cavaliers 69th through 78th game.

If you don't want the stats posted becuase somebody somewhere doesn't like it I totally understand.

Everything I posted is correct and statistically accurate.

One more time:  don't claim something is an NBA record unless you have proof that it is.  You're not allowed to post lies on here, simply because you think you're making some convoluted point.  Stick to facts that can be verified.
I think everyone is aware that star18 says bizarre stuff all the time by cherry-picking numbers and exaggerating their significance.

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2009, 11:54:20 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672

WHO CARES?!

Look.  That's not a very constructive comment, I know.  Allow me to elaborate with a wall of text.  In the four pages of this thread, I didn't read one thing that mattered.  You asked whether the Celtics' point differential was close to... hold on, let me back up.  You asserted that the Celtics' point differential was a record, or close to it, through the first 10 games.  You then proceeded to backpedal when it was proven that you weren't anywhere close to the truth - now the story is that you were asking people to check whether your information is correct or not.  

Now the onus is on us to prove that, in every game played in the NBA, there was never a 5-minute-38-second period of time where a team was called for more fouls than we were.  Yeah.  Have fun researching that particular claim, because I don't think you'll find anybody willing to help you without getting paid.  I think of myself as a nice guy, but I'm not that nice.  

Also, you're stating that LeBron doesn't foul much.  Tell me something I don't know.  He's a superstar, and gets superstar treatment.  MJ got away with fouls, Kobe gets away with fouls, LeBron gets away with fouls.  He got away with even more than usual during that time period - or maybe he just didn't foul much during that period.  Probably a mix of both.  

So what is your point?  There has to be a point somewhere, otherwise you just posted a bunch of obscure statistics and let everybody else sit and scratch their heads.  Is it that the Celtics got screwed during that 6-minute stretch?  You don't need obscure stats to get people to agree with that.  Is it that LeBron gets superstar treatment?  You don't need obscure stats to get every fan of the league - with the possible exception of Cavs fans - to agree with you there.  Are you trying to suggest that there was some conspiracy to keep the Celtics away from the 'record' of 'best point differential through 10 games'?  Look... every team in the league thinks they get screwed by the refs, and they're all wrong.  Donaghy aside, the refs just happen to suck sometimes and aren't actually crooked.  

So, in the end, you made up obscure 'records' as proof of an anti-Celtic conspiracy by the league and its' refs.  

Who cares?

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2009, 11:57:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2009, 11:58:07 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
If in every game played in the NBA, there was never a 5-minute-38-second period of time where 10 consecutive non-intentional fouls occured against one team what exactly would that tell you?

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2009, 11:59:50 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Why do you say who cares?
If it is a record why wouldn't someone care about it.
So people don't care about records anymore?

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
Why do you say who cares?
If it is a record why wouldn't someone care about it.
So people don't care about records anymore?

Um, not that one...

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Ok well I do, because it shows the worst string of calls in basketbal history.

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2009, 12:05:16 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Ok so I maybe wrong on this one so far I am not sure

11/13/09:Somebody says #23 should be a league wide retirement, not #6.
11/13/09:Worst string of calls in basketball history, against the team who had #6 as their best player ever.

Lighting strkes twice I guess.   I'm going to play two lotto tickets now, because apparently I will win both.