Author Topic: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless  (Read 25116 times)

Re: A handful of Bruins fans are making Boston look racist and classless
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
No but I'd rather it be pushed under the rug then editorialized and beaten to death for 3 days while I have to listen Skip Bayless and friends jaw about it.

Wanting to push things under the rug was David Stern's method for dealing with Donald Sterling.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Does anyone know exactly how many of these tweets or what not actually happened? Like what percentage? And how many were tweeted by I guess the Tampa Bay fans (that's who the Canadiens beat last week, right?)

I read that there were 17,000 tweets referencing Subban and a slur, but that wasn't broken down by racist posts vs. people re-tweeting and condemning the racist posts.  (I wonder, if you retweet the n-word several times to condemn its use, is that counterproductive?)

It won't be broken down because what the result would completely defeat the narrative.

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

Our governor is black, Boston isn't a particularly racist city.

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?

I lived in Boston for a time. I wasn't born there. 

Have you lived in enough cities to identify Boston as one that "isn't particularly racist"?

I currently live in Boston. Dorchester, Mass specifically for most of my childhood and part of my adult life. I've also lived in Texas, New Jersey, and New Hampshire for short periods of time.

And yes, I would say that Boston is just about the same as those places. Probably have seen more racism in Texas and New Hampshire than I have in Boston.

I think the point of him posting that animated gif has been lost.  Boston can be the most unracist city ever but using the black governor to get your point across was silly and in bad taste.  There must not be a lot of racism in america then, because Obama's our president.

Greg

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Does anyone know exactly how many of these tweets or what not actually happened? Like what percentage? And how many were tweeted by I guess the Tampa Bay fans (that's who the Canadiens beat last week, right?)

I read that there were 17,000 tweets referencing Subban and a slur, but that wasn't broken down by racist posts vs. people re-tweeting and condemning the racist posts.  (I wonder, if you retweet the n-word several times to condemn its use, is that counterproductive?)

It won't be broken down because what the result would completely defeat the narrative.

There are some people interested in defeating the narrative.  They can do their own data analysis and prove that the narrative is wrong.  Or they can do the data analysis and sit on the results if it proves the narrative is right.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wish the team didn't release a statement. This wouldnt of been a 'thing' if they didnt. If PK scored in overtime against any other team in the NHL you'd get the same handful of comments on twitter.

Our governor is black, Boston isn't a particularly racist city.

Are you from Boston or do you live in Boston?

I lived in Boston for a time. I wasn't born there. 

Have you lived in enough cities to identify Boston as one that "isn't particularly racist"?

I currently live in Boston. Dorchester, Mass specifically for most of my childhood and part of my adult life. I've also lived in Texas, New Jersey, and New Hampshire for short periods of time.

And yes, I would say that Boston is just about the same as those places. Probably have seen more racism in Texas and New Hampshire than I have in Boston.

I think the point of him posting that animated gif has been lost.  Boston can be the most unracist city ever but using the black governor to get your point across was silly and in bad taste.  There must not be a lot of racism in america then, because Obama's our president.

TP for getting it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.