Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43699 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
"Not having room" for Baynes sounds like a great way end up with Horford playing 100% of his minutes at center or forcing Yabu/Williams into the rotation. Theis is coming back from a knee injury after all.

Even if Baynes ends up going somewhere else they'll sign some big to make sure that doesn't happen.

Unless and until they trade one of Morris or Yabusele, or they let Smart go in free agency, they don’t have room.  Both in terms of minutes and in space under the tax line.

I like Baynes, and I’d happily move Morris to make room for him.  I just don’t think we can assume that a trade to the Celtics liking will avail itself.
The tax concerns are very real and I could see that leading to Smart or Baynes being let go.

Morris being on the roster effecting whether or not we carry a center who has proven he can play in a NBA game is a really weird opinion to be so confident about.

It’s primarily a dollars thing with Morris.  After signing Smart I expect us to be within a million of the tax line.  Morris makes $5.375 million, which is right about the taxpayer MLE that will be the market for the top vet centers (reserve-level minutes variety) this summer.  In addition, Morris plays a lot of minutes at the 4, which you don’t need if you’re getting a center to give Horford more time at that spot on the floor.  So he’s the most natural out.

Yabusele is the next most natural because he’ll get you more than minimum salary room and is someone the Celtics should have some earnable minutes for at the 4-5 if he’s sticking around.

« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So yeah

« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Its pick 27. 

Wildly best case: He becomes a cornerstone defensive big in the mold of De'Andre, Cappella.

Worst Case:  Third big off the bench good for a couple dunks, a block and six fouls.

Most likely scenario: Decent bench rotation player, good for a solid 15 minutes a night.

If you expect anything different out of a 27 pick, I don't know what else to tell you.  He adds to the length of the team, and if can use that length and athleticism effectively for 15 to 20 minutes a night, this is a home run.  And if he never gets it, he doesn't cost much and he'll be trade filler or not re-signed at the end of his rookie deal.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:32:40 AM by bknova »

« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Morris is gone in a few months contingent on Ainge finding a cost controlled young player, or another under the radar draft pick like the Grizzlies from a contending team needing a SF/PF combo forward. Just no minutes on the floor for him.
I'd set my expectations lower than what we got for Green for him. Team's are far more reluctant to move picks currently in the NBA. Plus Green was much more highly regarded than Morris.

« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm ok with the pick. At 27, I think he represented what it sounds like BPA and also solved a need for the team (basically a project big man/Monroe replacement).

He certainly has some physical tools to work with and he probably will benefit from getting drafted by a strong organization like the C's. Hope he takes that to heart and learns from Horford.

Offensively, not expecting much from him this year outside of Smart lobs for alley oops. He's gonna need to figure out the FT shooting to at least become passable. I don't understand how a basketball player

I think Capella has a similar FT percentage, and is about to get offered a $15 to $20mm per year contract. If Williams was an 80% FT shooter, would not have dropped to 27, get real.
Sorry I'm not full on green cool aid like most in here today.

I never said I disliked the pick. Just tempering expectations. He's a project and will need time. 43% FT is abysmal at any level. Not saying he can't turn it around, just pointing out the obvious that he will need to make an effort to improve that to be at least passable.

People in here make it sound like Cs just drafted a HOFer. This guy will likely be in Maine for large chunks of the year if they bring back Baynes.

Who's saying we drafted a "HOFer"? He's an athletic freak with crazy wingspan with very high college block and DRB % who fills a role on our team we desperately need.

What's not to be excited about? I mean if you're the type of guy that just loves drafting obscure guards for bench fodder just so you can tell yourself you're some type of amazing talent evaluator that doesn't buy into the "hype" I guess you might hate the pick.Other than that he's a steal at 27..
Where did I say I hate the pick? Just said he's a project and will not be an immediate contributor. That is all. Geesh.

« Reply #185 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #186 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

« Reply #187 on: June 22, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Apparently the C's have already lost track of Williams and are delaying a conference call press event with him.

Is this for real? 

EDIT:  Just saw the tweet.  Yeesh.
Yup. It is very real.

Apparently the Celtics wanted to do the conference call last night originally so this is the second delay.

I didn't see where that was posted. My understanding is that Stevens had originally planned to talk to him this morning, after releasing that in his post draft interview.

But if that is the case, this is not boding well for his 'attitude,' concerns. But I will let it slide, since he's 20, and just got drafted to his dream job... We have had players who have done things like this, the real answer is how they provide the explanation or make up for this mishap/misunderstanding.
https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1010176439386337281

Miscommunication

« Reply #188 on: June 22, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I have had many miscommunications with my employer after a long night of celebrating, or eating too much spicy food  ;D

« Reply #189 on: June 22, 2018, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
I've had miscommunications with ex girlfriends but never with my wife.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #190 on: June 22, 2018, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Lol, what?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
TP

for the record i'm not worried about the day after the draft though
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
TP

for the record i'm not worried about the day after the draft though
except in 1986

« Reply #193 on: June 22, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Convince me he is not the new Jared Sullinger
Banner 18 please 😍