Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 88654 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2020, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Oladipo and Brandon Roy were two players I was curious about in this format. This Historical League.

Brandon Roy dominated Portland's offense. Everything revolved around him. He was the centerpiece. My question: What does he look when he is not the centerpiece? How well does he do with less time on the ball to work with?

Oladipo was a player I was already curious about this season in real life (IRL) this season. The Pacers had played well without him. One of their guards and one of their bigs were having breakout years. He was coming back from injury to a team that had much more talent on it than the one he had his breakout year on (where Oladipo could whatever he wanted whenever he wanted however much he wanted because there was so little shot-creation on the team).

So I was curious how well does Oladipo adjust his game when he comes back to fit in around these IRL new (breakout) pieces Indiana has? (edit: which he did not get to do because the season ended so quickly after returning from a bad injury)

Because before all this - the breakout year where he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted on offense - he was more peripheral. He played well in Orlando and OKC but was not a star. Orlando was a mess and Oladipo was young. OKC he had Westbrook to share with.

-----------------------------------

Issue for lots of guys in this league. I just mentioned these two players because (1) they are being talked about in the last couple of posts (2) they both have had brief peaks (Oladipo only 1 1/2 seasons, Roy 3 years) due to injuries and Oladipo being a current day player. Because of that and lack of top end talent around them, they did not get the opportunities to show how they would meld next to other top players. So it is interesting to think about.

Edit: And because they were two guys who spent a lot of time on the ball creating rather than off the ball.

---------------------------

Personally, I am thinking that Oladipo looks closer to OKC Oladipo than Indiana Oladipo. And that Roy more resembles rookie season Roy before they built the team around him.

I hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. Every player is going to see a drop off offensively when sharing the ball with so many other talented players. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was only 5-10 guys who average 20ppg in this Historical League for this reason.

Durant. Shaq. LeBron. Kobe. Curry. Kawhi.

Maybe T-Mac. Then Harden vs Wade situation.

Edit: I am just trying to imagine what players will look like in smaller roles (offensively). Some are easy to see. Some are more difficult.

Thanks for commentary, Who.

The main reason I picked Oladipo was that he could score AND defend - defend at a high level and for stretches of a game.

For my team I'm not looking for him to be a top option on offense - even though with our team's unselfish character this WOULD, I believe - give him the opportunity to go off in the event he got hot.

But defensively? Yeah Victor could (and would) bring it the entire game and gum stuff up for opposing guards.

Victor would - I strongly believe - with the current team around him - take a step back offensively if needed and STILL be a 1st team defensive threat and not mope about it.

Also - while I respect your commentary I have a hard time believing that Dirk Nowitzki would NOT average AT LEAST 20 PPG.

Dirk Nowitzki was a true Unicorn offensively. Even when I did a head to head comparison of him vs KG he still averaged over 20 PPG - and KG - IMO - is the best defender in this draft.
We agree on something! :laugh:

Anyways Dirk will likely score a ton on GF's team, I don't see him ceding primacy to Embiid (he really shouldn't tbh lol) and the perimeter players GF has will all likely defer to him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
My question is who should I start as SF? What starting line-up looks better to you?

(A) Paul/Roy/Butler/Love/Howard or (B) Paul/Roy/Kirilenko/Love/Howard?

You might also want to consider (C) Paul - Butler - Kirilienko - Love - Howard with Roy as the super 6th man scorer.

This is where I would go. And I have no evidence of this, but Brandon Roy seems to be type of player that would be willing to take a step back if needed to as far as personality. Not sure if that would work if it's Jimmy Butler
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2020, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would move both Roy and AK47 to the bench, and find a viable starting SF.  Kirilenko is better as a PF, and Butler is better at SG.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Oladipo and Brandon Roy were two players I was curious about in this format. This Historical League.

Brandon Roy dominated Portland's offense. Everything revolved around him. He was the centerpiece. My question: What does he look when he is not the centerpiece? How well does he do with less time on the ball to work with?

Oladipo was a player I was already curious about this season in real life (IRL) this season. The Pacers had played well without him. One of their guards and one of their bigs were having breakout years. He was coming back from injury to a team that had much more talent on it than the one he had his breakout year on (where Oladipo could whatever he wanted whenever he wanted however much he wanted because there was so little shot-creation on the team).

So I was curious how well does Oladipo adjust his game when he comes back to fit in around these IRL new (breakout) pieces Indiana has? (edit: which he did not get to do because the season ended so quickly after returning from a bad injury)

Because before all this - the breakout year where he could do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted on offense - he was more peripheral. He played well in Orlando and OKC but was not a star. Orlando was a mess and Oladipo was young. OKC he had Westbrook to share with.

Issue for lots of guys in this league. I just mentioned these two players because (1) they are being talked about in the last couple of posts (2) they both have had brief peaks (Oladipo only 1 1/2 seasons, Roy 3 years) due to injuries and Oladipo being a current day player. Because of that and lack of top end talent around them, they did not get the opportunities to show how they would meld next to other top players. So it is interesting to think about.

Edit: And because they were two guys who spent a lot of time on the ball creating rather than off the ball.

Personally, I am thinking that Oladipo looks closer to OKC Oladipo than Indiana Oladipo. And that Roy more resembles rookie season Roy before they built the team around him.

I hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. Every player is going to see a drop off offensively when sharing the ball with so many other talented players. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was only 5-10 guys who average 20ppg in this Historical League for this reason.

Edit: I am just trying to imagine what players will look like in smaller roles (offensively). Some are easy to see. Some are more difficult.

The main reason I picked Oladipo was that he could score AND defend - defend at a high level and for stretches of a game.

For my team I'm not looking for him to be a top option on offense - even though with our team's unselfish character this WOULD, I believe - give him the opportunity to go off in the event he got hot.

But defensively? Yeah Victor could (and would) bring it the entire game and gum stuff up for opposing guards.

Victor would - I strongly believe - with the current team around him - take a step back offensively if needed and STILL be a 1st team defensive threat and not mope about it.

Also - while I respect your commentary I have a hard time believing that Dirk Nowitzki would NOT average AT LEAST 20 PPG.

Dirk Nowitzki was a true Unicorn offensively. Even when I did a head to head comparison of him vs KG he still averaged over 20 PPG - and KG - IMO - is the best defender in this draft.
We agree on something! :laugh:

Anyways Dirk will likely score a ton on GF's team, I don't see him ceding primacy to Embiid (he really shouldn't tbh lol) and the perimeter players GF has will all likely defer to him.

Oh, I agree - Joel would get in line...no question. He'd realize that by letting Dirk be 1, he'd likely be 1A and get a lot more opportunities.

And as for KG? Yeah...there are several All-Time great defenders here that players were fortunate enough to get but KG takes the cake..

The unique thing with KG is that I think he got BETTER defensively as he aged...he got SMARTER...

Prime example is THIS play, while he's in BKN and what? 37 years old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9j9KfDuigs

KG did "NOT" get the block but he was KEY in funneling Lowry towards the waiting arms of Paul Pierce, along with Deron.

KG was and still is one of a kind...gifted defensively, elite in several other areas AND a All-time great trash talker.

« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2020, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, I expect Dirk to be there or thereabouts.

I see him more as a maybe than a certainty.

Dirk definitely has the talent to be there (Dirk is a better scorer than some of the guys I listed above) but he was a very unselfish guy for such a gifted scorer. And I am not so sure about Embiid deferring to him (I believe Embiid will want to prove he is the best most talented center in the league and play in such a manner) & Tony Parker will shoot a lot too. So I see Dirk as more of a maybe than a certainty.

So yeah, Dirk is in my maybe pile.

Either way, a point here or there makes little difference. Dirk has huge value in team offense in terms of creating space for guys like Tony Parker, Oladipo and Hayward. He will make all those guys better without even taking a shot. Such is the respect every opponent has for Dirk's shot-making ability.

The guy is an offensive powerhouse.

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2020, 04:37:53 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yeah, I expect Dirk to be there or thereabouts.

I see him more as a maybe than a certainty.

Dirk definitely has the talent to be there (Dirk is a better scorer than some of the guys I listed above) but he was a very unselfish guy for such a gifted scorer. And I am not so sure about Embiid deferring to him (I believe Embiid will want to prove he is the best most talented center in the league and play in such a manner) & Tony Parker will shoot a lot too. So I see Dirk as more of a maybe than a certainty.

So yeah, Dirk is in my maybe pile.

Either way, a point here or there makes little difference. Dirk has huge value in team offense in terms of creating space for guys like Tony Parker, Oladipo and Hayward. He will make all those guys better without even taking a shot. Such is the respect every opponent has for Dirk's shot-making ability.

The guy is an offensive powerhouse.
From an offensive perspective, I can't think of a better PF than Dirk to pair with Embiid.  Dirk and the others will allow Embiid to stay in the post more.  Teams will not be able to double Embiid, or Dirk for that matter, without paying for it.  Embiid's usage will drop but his offensive efficiency should rise.  The effort he saves on the offensive end will make his defense even better.  Embiid showed a willingness to adjust this season with the Sixers.  His frustration came from the lack of results.  I don't see why he wouldn't adjust to play with Dirk.   

« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I was thinking Jrue Holiday for your 5th pick but he was gone.  Oladipo was a nice fallback in my mind but he can't guard bigger wings like Holiday can.  Then you addressed that concern with selecting Iggy in the 6th.  Really like you're team construction.  Not just getting multi-skilled players but very complimentary players.  The players can be themselves to a large degree. 

« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
TP's everybody for the input.

Seems like most people think I'll need to make some hard decisions on who'll start and who won't.
Little surprised about the concerns around Paul's ball dominance. Apart from his superior defense, I took him instead of Harden (I considered going with pick 13 (Davis) and pick 16 (Harden)) because I wanted a balanced offense where multiple players are able and allowed to make plays. In my mind Paul can set the table by being the instigator of the offense, but that he can play off-ball as a 3-point-threat as well. I don't want Roy and Love to be just catch-and-shoot guys.

« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2020, 05:09:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I was thinking about that Houston Rockets team:

SG - Wade, Harden, E.Jones, Joe Johnson
PF/C - Amare, Bosh

Unusual mix of perimeter talent. All were predominantly shooting guards during their careers. They could start any mix of the 3 really so I was trying to figure out what my favourite configuration would be.

I'd like to have Joe Johnson in there. I believe he is their best defensive option at SF. You could go with JJ - Harden - Wade but then you got 3 guys who are all used to having a lot of the ball (although JJ played with Nash in a smaller role earlier in his career).

So that got me wondering, would consider bringing Wade or Harden to come off the bench? I'd chose Harden myself. He did well as a Sixth Man early in his career.

G - Wade
G - Eddie Jones
F - Joe Johnson

Wade and Eddie Jones would create one of the best (if not the best) defensive backcourt in this Historical League. Joe Johnson gives a secondary ball-handler & playmaker to play next to Wade.

I also trust Wade to involve his teammates more than I do Harden. Harden has big assist numbers but he dribbles the ball so dang much! Everything is on his terms. Hardly ever his teammates. Wade can be guilty of that too at times but he has better balance than Harden.

-------------------------------

C/PF - Amare
C/PF - Bosh

I am struggling some with Bosh and Amare. They are quite duplicative of one another. I think they will do well against teams with defense-only big men (Gobert, Mutombo) and slow footed low scoring centers (like Marc Gasol & Jokic). However, I believe they'd struggle to matchup against the more physically powerful and capable scoring centers in this league (Shaq, Zo, Embiid, Duncan).

Actually, now that I write it out - it is better than I thought it was.

Ben Wallace is another defense-only big. Dwight Howard has more offensive game but not a lot. He has struggled to defend Bosh in the past. There will be some give-and-take there (Dwight will put up buckets too) but that could work alright for them.

That is 5 centers were things are good for them. 1 with Dwight which is edgy but okay.

Then there is Yao Ming. Yao will score for sure but he can't cover Bosh or Amare away from the basket, in transition or in the PnR. Yao will be run off the court. So that is a 6th good matchup for Houston.

Lastly David Robinson. I swayed back and forth on this one but yeah I think D-Rob even at this older stage of his career causes issues for them. So 5 bad matchups (Shaq, Zo, Embiid, Duncan, D-Rob).

Edit: I am forgetting someone. That is only 12 teams plus Houston. Ah, Joakim Noah. Another defense-only big. Bosh has feasted on Noah in the past. I was always surprised at how easily Bosh has scored on Noah because Noah is a mobile defensive big but Bosh clearly had his number.

I thought it would be worse for Bosh & Amare. 5 out of 13 teams where I would be worried for them. 8 teams where they can navigate those issues and actually have the advantage if those teams stay big/slow or defense-only.

« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2020, 05:34:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks all for input.

I'll leave this little nugget here for Dirk..

https://stats.nba.com/alltime-leaders/

Dirk is currently 4TH in all-time scoring on this list, and in his prime for the purposes of this draft.

Karl Malone is WAY up there but is on the decline. Don't get me wrong - for the purposes of THIS game The Mailman is BONAFIDE - especially for a SEASON. Not only potent offensively BUT a solid defender as well.

The other players in front of Dirk are in their primes and he probably won't catch them (LeBron, Kobe).

Tim Duncan is the ONLY other close scoring leader near Dirk and he is over 5K behind him.

I know it's "just" numbers but I find a hard time believing that in "THIS" format Dirk wouldn't score at LEAST 20 PPG.

« Reply #145 on: March 28, 2020, 11:56:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Edit: I am forgetting someone. That is only 12 teams plus Houston. Ah, Joakim Noah. Another defense-only big. Bosh has feasted on Noah in the past. I was always surprised at how easily Bosh has scored on Noah because Noah is a mobile defensive big but Bosh clearly had his number.

I actually don't know that I agree with this assessment. In their 9 last games (in essence, once Noah hit his prime - they were both dealt significant injury concerns pretty shortly afterwards sadly) I think Noah was the winner in these match-ups. I think there is a pretty valid argument that we never got to see them duke it out in their primes, which sucks.

Over those 9 games Bosh averaged 16.3PPG, 5.6RPG, 1.4APG, 0.7SPG, and 1.3BPG on 44% shooting from the field, 33% from 3 and 83% FT shooting. Bosh and the Heat won 4 of these 9.

Noah's averages were 13PPG, 9.8RPG, 3.4APG, 0.9SPG, and 2BPG, shooting 50% from the field, 0% from 3 (no attempts) and 74% FT shooting. Obviously, Noah won 5 of these 4 if Bosh won 4.

Sadly, they didn't meet too often in the playoffs. They met once well before Noah's prime, and again in 2013, where besides that crazy near-20/20 game by Bosh I think it was a pretty close matchup between the two.

Ultimately, I guess my disagreement is mainly with the idea that Bosh feasted on Noah. He definitely got the better of Noah when he was young and raw, but in his prime I don't think there was much separation.

I used the basketball reference head2head tool to get these numbers. I get that basic box score numbers don't tell the whole story, but I think Noah's impact is more muted by basic box lines over Bosh.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:39 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I would move both Roy and AK47 to the bench, and find a viable starting SF.  Kirilenko is better as a PF, and Butler is better at SG.
I agree.  Butler could be SF for certain matchups but generally he'd be better at SG. 

« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't buy that Miller was really dependent on screens the way Peja was: a tracking study showed that his attacks were evenly divided into screen and non-screen scoring attempts (source: https://backpicks.com/2018/01/18/backpicks-goat-29-reggie-miller/ - footnote 1 of the article). His off ball movement was so good that he didn't always need screens to get himself open, and he had some on ball moves (eg. a running floater, a rip through move, a pullup) that allowed him to attack with the ball. He was a nuclear, grade-A level scorer in his prime who ravaged elite defences because his combination of robust off ball movement and arsenal of crafty on ball moves was so hard to guard - he was miles better than Peja as a scorer (if anything Action should trade Peja for a better offensive creator at SF).

Thanks for sharing that article, Somebody; it was a good read.  I agree that Reggie could create for himself.  But if I have Kidd who can create for others and himself to an extent, Shaq who can create for himself and others, and Reggie who can create for himself... do I really need more creators in my starting lineup?  Horford isn't bad at creating for teammates either by using himself as a screener on handoffs which I think both Reggie and Peja would kill off of.  Sure you can always have more creators, but I think one of the filthiest 3 point shooters of the era is more valuable when my two best players are both great at finding open teammates.

I'm thinking about filling my bench with wings who can bring different dimensions than Reggie/Peja and bigs who are not post-centric like Shaq to give me some different looks when subs come in.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't buy that Miller was really dependent on screens the way Peja was: a tracking study showed that his attacks were evenly divided into screen and non-screen scoring attempts (source: https://backpicks.com/2018/01/18/backpicks-goat-29-reggie-miller/ - footnote 1 of the article). His off ball movement was so good that he didn't always need screens to get himself open, and he had some on ball moves (eg. a running floater, a rip through move, a pullup) that allowed him to attack with the ball. He was a nuclear, grade-A level scorer in his prime who ravaged elite defences because his combination of robust off ball movement and arsenal of crafty on ball moves was so hard to guard - he was miles better than Peja as a scorer (if anything Action should trade Peja for a better offensive creator at SF).

Thanks for sharing that article, Somebody; it was a good read.  I agree that Reggie could create for himself.  But if I have Kidd who can create for others and himself to an extent, Shaq who can create for himself and others, and Reggie who can create for himself... do I really need more creators in my starting lineup?  Horford isn't bad at creating for teammates either by using himself as a screener on handoffs which I think both Reggie and Peja would kill off of.  Sure you can always have more creators, but I think one of the filthiest 3 point shooters of the era is more valuable when my two best players are both great at finding open teammates.

I'm thinking about filling my bench with wings who can bring different dimensions than Reggie/Peja and bigs who are not post-centric like Shaq to give me some different looks when subs come in.
This is the strategy I'm sort of going to be going with too. Just try and shake things up off the bench. I think it's more fun that way, especially because I'm not sure my team has a specific identity.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2020, 12:22:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think you do. I think Kidd's raw creation rates overstate his actual creation ability - he only is that valuable when he's surrounded by skilled offensive teammates (here's a Backpicks article about him: https://backpicks.com/2018/03/12/backpicks-goat-31-40/#Kidd) and Horford is more of a facilitator than a creator due to his inability to really pressure defences with his scoring. Whether you need the extra creation against some matchups is irrelevant, the aim of these games is to build the strongest case as the best team in the draft, and that includes having to field an offence that doesn't lose value against some of the more versatile defensive teams. Adding a two way wing creator who has a portable offensive game (so basically he can shoot and move without the ball besides create on ball) will help add extra value to your offence while boosting your defence when your team lacks high end creation and wing defence.

And that plan sounds good, I'll be looking forward to your selections.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA