Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments  (Read 24507 times)

Re: Mock Trade Deadline Discussion and Comments
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2018, 02:17:28 PM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Nadel will never see many minutes with this Celtics team..Yasbule may never be more than a end of bench player..Celtics 1st will be around 28th or 29th..how many picks that late ever do any good..if u hold onto PROSPECTS and late picks to see if they develop or not, u won't go far

And Noel either plays well for two months in Boston and gets a bigger contract elsewhere, or doesn’t play well and is affordable but not good.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but Noel also falls into that weird situation where if he actually waived his NTC to come here he'd lose his bird rights. So he'd be putting himself into a position where the team he's going to cannot exceed the cap to sign him this summer. That means he's losing out on probably his biggest earning opportunity of staying with Dallas or working some sort of S&T out. Does he think he'd start here in this scenario? We wouldn't have the cap flexibility to sign him to his desired contract. He'd be banking on us showcasing him right?

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Nadel will never see many minutes with this Celtics team..Yasbule may never be more than a end of bench player..Celtics 1st will be around 28th or 29th..how many picks that late ever do any good..if u hold onto PROSPECTS and late picks to see if they develop or not, u won't go far

And Noel either plays well for two months in Boston and gets a bigger contract elsewhere, or doesn’t play well and is affordable but not good.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but Noel also falls into that weird situation where if he actually waived his NTC to come here he'd lose his bird rights. So he'd be putting himself into a position where the team he's going to cannot exceed the cap to sign him this summer. That means he's losing out on probably his biggest earning opportunity of staying with Dallas or working some sort of S&T out. Does he think he'd start here in this scenario? We wouldn't have the cap flexibility to sign him to his desired contract. He'd be banking on us showcasing him right?

So either Noel is bad and not worth the assets or Noel is good and walks for nothing thus wasting the assets.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wow, Milwaukee are suddenly my favourites to make it out of the East. What a deal.

Hate that trade for SAS, no idea why they’d move Leonard for that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2018, 08:34:54 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Wow, Milwaukee are suddenly my favourites to make it out of the East. What a deal.

Are they?  I see two superstars, two starting-caliber players, an incredibly weak center position, and very little depth.  Reminds me of the overall roster caliber of OKC Thunder, roughly as good as theirs before the Roberson injury.  The East isn't that strong though, so maybe they are.

If they can solidify the center position and bench, I'll like them a lot more.  I'd imagine there are cheap serviceable centers and bench players to be had on the market too.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Are they?  I see two superstars, two starting-caliber players, an incredibly weak center position, and very little depth.  Reminds me of the overall roster caliber of OKC Thunder, roughly as good as theirs before the Roberson injury.  The East isn't that strong though, so maybe they are.

If they can solidify the center position and bench, I'll like them a lot more.  I'd imagine there are cheap serviceable centers and bench players to be had on the market too.

OKC has one superstar, one all-star, and one former all-star.

Milwaukee has two MVP-caliber players and a bunch of role players. They still may need another piece, but they are on their way.

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Not this season, as their year has been too disrupted with the coach firing. But alongside Boston this team would be a nightmare I think, considering the East is weaker

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »

• Paul Silas
I don't think either team won the recent Suns-Clippers trade. I think they both could have done better.

I'm not a big Chriss fan -- he reminds me exactly of the type of clipper that they used to get - Richardson, Miles, etc. They do get the Milwaukee 1st, which is likely to be mid 20s, but that's not much for Beverly and Jordan.

On the other hand, the Suns gave up a young asset and a first rounder for a possible year rental of Jordan. Beverly fits well next to Booker (if healthy), but he only has one more year on his deal. Both players are older and don't fit the rest of the core's timeline, but both will demand huge salaries.

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
I don't think either team won the recent Suns-Clippers trade. I think they both could have done better.

I'm not a big Chriss fan -- he reminds me exactly of the type of clipper that they used to get - Richardson, Miles, etc. They do get the Milwaukee 1st, which is likely to be mid 20s, but that's not much for Beverly and Jordan.

On the other hand, the Suns gave up a young asset and a first rounder for a possible year rental of Jordan. Beverly fits well next to Booker (if healthy), but he only has one more year on his deal. Both players are older and don't fit the rest of the core's timeline, but both will demand huge salaries.

Could be signing Jabari Parker to a disastrous deal this summer too.
I'd be super nervous if I were Phoenix, but if Deandre likes the environment enough to stay and Parker stays healthy then its a super intriguing team next year and I think it would supremely benefit Booker, having outlets that can hit three's in guys like Beverly, a late shot clock dump that can get points in Parker, and a gravitational big in Deandre. Its super risky and intriguing to me.

I'm not sure what the overall deadline goal for Phoenix was, but upping the risk profile works for me. Should look to flip Warren next if it were me.

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 10:38:46 AM »

• Paul Silas

Could be signing Jabari Parker to a disastrous deal this summer too.
I'd be super nervous if I were Phoenix, but if Deandre likes the environment enough to stay and Parker stays healthy then its a super intriguing team next year and I think it would supremely benefit Booker, having outlets that can hit three's in guys like Beverly, a late shot clock dump that can get points in Parker, and a gravitational big in Deandre. Its super risky and intriguing to me.

I'm not sure what the overall deadline goal for Phoenix was, but upping the risk profile works for me. Should look to flip Warren next if it were me.

The other problem is that Warren and Parker are largely redundant. Parker hasn't been consistent from 3. That means they will have two non-shooters on the court (Jordan and Warren) next to Beverly and Parker (not great shooters) and a great shooter (Booker).

They'll have 100 million tied up in Chandler-Knight-Parker-Jordan-Warren. Thinking toward the future, next year I estimate their cap to be north of 120 million, unless they can get rid of Chandler and Knight. In 19-20, they'll need to resign Booker to a deal close to 30 million, which means they will need to move Knight and/or Warren to keep their core together. Just my assessment.

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
This deadline has been insane. Anyone still on the same team they started the deadline on?  ;D

ok fine

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »

• Paul Silas
The Lakers just spent two first round draft picks to unload Luol Deng.

They are screwed if James goes somewhere else or George stays in OKC.

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 06:28:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I’d rather give up two protected picks in 2020-22 and 2022-24 or whatever it is, than one of my young guys like Ingram, Kuzma or Ball.

Other than that, the 2019 free agency class isn’t too bad, *cough* Klay Thompson, DeAndre Jordan, *cough*

I don’t think LA is screwed, really.

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Meanwhile the Pelicans have turned an injured, expiring DeMarcus Cousins into Larry Nance Jr., Ersan Ilyasova, Jordan Clarkson, Josh Hart, and a 2nd round pick.

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Although i havent been very successfull pulling off trades[been active] i have delevoped a liking for the nuggets bc of this game/mock trade deadline. Prly my 2nd fav team now

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

• Paul Silas

I’d rather give up two protected picks in 2020-22 and 2022-24 or whatever it is, than one of my young guys like Ingram, Kuzma or Ball.

Other than that, the 2019 free agency class isn’t too bad, *cough* Klay Thompson, DeAndre Jordan, *cough*

I don’t think LA is screwed, really.

Tampering!! Tampering!!! Strip him of draft picks! Oh wait, he doesn't have any! :)