Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 960550 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1215 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Sorry, ACF, this is one time I don't agee with you.  Since we are so careful to keep this site "family friendly", I really don't understand why banning this kind of thing is considered censorship by some people.  You can watch it and post it somewhere else.     Just my opinion.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1216 on: August 01, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In no way way am I endorsing murder, rape, necrophilia or any other perversion, for that matter, but a flick is a flick. Reality can be so much worse than what is depicted on the silver screen. Anyways, there's a reason some movies are rated not suitable for small children.

In my opinion, a line needs to be drawn somewhere; there are some things that have no redeeming value, and are simply gratuitous.  A graphic depiction of the rape of a newborn child seems to cross the line, and is only done to offend and/or to draw attention to the director.  Again, I haven't seen it (and don't care to), but I do think there are some things that never need to be shown.

Real artists can get their idea across without appealing to sadistic child p0rnography; hacks and butchers cannot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1217 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
In no way way am I endorsing murder, rape, necrophilia or any other perversion, for that matter, but a flick is a flick. Reality can be so much worse than what is depicted on the silver screen. Anyways, there's a reason some movies are rated not suitable for small children.

In my opinion, a line needs to be drawn somewhere; there are some things that have no redeeming value, and are simply gratuitous.  A graphic depiction of the rape of a newborn child seems to cross the line, and is only done to offend and/or to draw attention to the director.  Again, I haven't seen it (and don't care to), but I do think there are some things that never need to be shown.

Real artists can get their idea across without appealing to sadistic child p0rnography; hacks and butchers cannot.

Good point.

I can watch just about anything, but this movie seems overkill. If the movie needs these storylines, I'm sure they can be implied and not depicted.

This is one movie I don't plan on ever watching.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1218 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

There's at least two things I don't understand here. 

One is the part about the Catholic Church complaining about a scene involving pedophilia.  I mean uhhhh.....insert punch line here.

The other thing is that isn't this a somewhat common thing in East Europe? Abduction and the sex industry there have been known to be on the extreme side. Not as much lately but in the wake of the collapse of the Soviet Union it was rampant.  If they're trying to just be artsy and make a flick in a Pulp Fictiony way then I'd agree with you.

But if they're trying to make a serious film about the choices people are faced with I don't know why it can't be treated like say Shindler's List. That is a film about real stuff too. It won every single Oscar, people cried, and it was named the 8th best American film ever by the AFI. That had all sorts of disturbing stuff in it.

I guess maybe I need clarification.

« Reply #1219 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:47 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Sorry, ACF, this is one time I don't agee with you.  Since we are so careful to keep this site "family friendly", I really don't understand why banning this kind of thing is considered censorship by some people.  You can watch it and post it somewhere else.     Just my opinion.

I'm not saying I will watch it (I won't) but it's still only a movie. I guess it's not for the squeamish. But Roy posted some stuff about what goes on in the movie and if people feel that they'll be able to stomach such depravity, then let them. It's not going to make the world a worse place than it was in the first place. It's like blaming violent video games for school shootings or heavy metal music for some violent murder spree.

People make choices, you can't blame movies or any other art for those choices.

« Reply #1220 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Before this great thread tails off into something else I'd like to get back into the actual movies.

I love comic book movies but have been disappointed with this summer for the most part.

Thor was alright but didn't have nearly enough action.

Green Lantern was better than I thought but still not great.  I'd definitely like to see the sequel.

I'm waiting for X-Men to come out on Blu Ray.

Captain America was the best so far this year.  Not as good as The Dark Knight, the two Iron Man movies and the Spider Man triliogy.  It left you wanting to see more but in a good way.

« Reply #1221 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Next up is Dances With Wolves. Haven't seen it in like 15 years, recorded it over the weekend.
Good movie.  Too bad Kevin Costner is in it...

I just recently watched the remake of this movie called Avatar  :P
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #1222 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum

I love comic book movies but have been disappointed with this summer for the most part.

Thor was alright but didn't have nearly enough action.

Green Lantern was better than I thought but still not great.  I'd definitely like to see the sequel.

I'm waiting for X-Men to come out on Blu Ray.

Captain America was the best so far this year.  Not as good as The Dark Knight, the two Iron Man movies and the Spider Man triliogy.  It left you wanting to see more but in a good way.

I love comic books and Comic book movies too.

I like Cap as a character used to collect the comic in the 90's but I thought Thor was a better movie than Cap was.

I didn't hate Cap and I am not saying Thor is the best comic movie ever either.  But that is just my personal preference.

I liked the Green Lantern series as a whole.  But once I heard Van Wilder was playing Hal Jordan I was not paying movie prices to go see it.  Reviews were mostly bad but most did say Reynolds was one of the best part of the movie.  But the people I trust who did see it said no need to rush to see it so I haven't yet.

X-Men first class was a mixed bag to me as a stand alone movie it is not bad at all.  But being that X-men is my fav comic series ever I liked some things recognized what they were trying to do but really like it as a whole.  If I knew nothing of X-men going in I could have given it a pass.  But they took far to many turns away from not only the  books but from established X-men movies that I left with a somewhat sour taste in my mouth.  But with all that said if the made a sequel to it I would go.

I plan on seeing Cowboys & Aliens soon.

Red Auerbach

« Reply #1223 on: August 03, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
City of God (2002)

Rio de Janeiro is the City of God, and this movie has more shootings per minute than any movie I ever saw.  (It shares common themes with the Wild Bunch.)  I was put off by the violence at first, but after a while I got kind of numb to it all.
However, it was a fast-paced movie that draws you into life in the lawless slums of an otherwise glamorous city.  The inhabitants are basically reduced to their animal nature in the battle for survival.  But, through it all there are glimpses of nobility of character that gives the movie its redeeming value.   

« Reply #1224 on: August 03, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Captain America, liked it.

« Reply #1225 on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
Just watched "The Other Guys" on HBO with Will Ferrell and Marky Mark.  I was surprised at how funny it was.  I'm a huge Will Ferrell fan but he hasn't had a good movie in a few years.  I also didn't think Marky Mark would be good in a comedy but he was surprisingly funny, he had lots of one liners and had decent delivery.  I highly suggest it, especially if you're a Will Ferrell fan.

« Reply #1226 on: August 08, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
The Mechanic, it was pretty good

« Reply #1227 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
Just watched "The Other Guys" on HBO with Will Ferrell and Marky Mark.  I was surprised at how funny it was.  I'm a huge Will Ferrell fan but he hasn't had a good movie in a few years.  I also didn't think Marky Mark would be good in a comedy but he was surprisingly funny, he had lots of one liners and had decent delivery.  I highly suggest it, especially if you're a Will Ferrell fan.

Really...Will was good in the movie but Marky Mark killed the movie for me.  There were only 2 to 3 scenes in the movie I was able to tolerate him.  I will go on record in saying the movie would have been better had you cast Matt Damon or Ben Affleck for instance in Wahlbergs role.

I got nothing against Wahlberg I like him in lots of stuff but for me it just didn't vibe right.

I just watched The Box.  I fell asleep on it...  Mostly because I was tired not because of the movie.  I will try watching again soon.

Red Auerbach

« Reply #1228 on: August 08, 2011, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would definitely recommend The Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  The apes looked great and it was a cool back story to the Planet of the Apes series. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #1229 on: August 08, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

Really...Will was good in the movie but Marky Mark killed the movie for me.  There were only 2 to 3 scenes in the movie I was able to tolerate him.  I will go on record in saying the movie would have been better had you cast Matt Damon or Ben Affleck for instance in Wahlbergs role.

I got nothing against Wahlberg I like him in lots of stuff but for me it just didn't vibe right.
I generally think he's terrible that's why I was surprised at how good he was.  I agree, it probably would have been funnier with Matt Damon, who is actually decent at comedy.  He was great in 30 Rock and the Sarah Silverman video where she confesses to Jimmy Kimmel that she's "dating" Matt Damon.