Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 960910 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1545 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Serious question,
can we talk about what to do when you are surrounded by a group of 8th graders texting eachother the whole movie, running around and whispering? 

The guy next to me kicked their chair until they moved, I was just going to get the manager.

Certainly hurt my moviegoing experience, at least until the guy next to me kicked their chair.  ;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1546 on: April 17, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Serious question,
can we talk about what to do when you are surrounded by a group of 8th graders texting eachother the whole movie, running around and whispering? 

The guy next to me kicked their chair until they moved, I was just going to get the manager.

Certainly hurt my moviegoing experience, at least until the guy next to me kicked their chair.  ;)

I most theaters I go to they have an usher right there during the movie that sits in back and gives 1 warning, then the boot.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1547 on: April 17, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Serious question,

Certainly hurt my moviegoing experience, at least until the guy next to me kicked their chair.  ;)

I most theaters I go to they have an usher right there during the movie that sits in back and gives 1 warning, then the boot.

Man I wish, I could barely pay attention to hunger games when a boy whispered something to a girl in front of me, she ran out crying and the rest of her friends yelled at the boy and then ran out.

Edit: which when you are paying 12 bucks a ticket plus 6 bucks for a sluh, really makes me mad
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1548 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:03 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Since I contributed to the off-topic discussion, I'll also contribute to getting it back on topic :)

Watched Young Adult over the weekend, my fiancee picked it at random out of Redbox.  She was under the impression it was a chick flick, but when I learned it wasn't I watched it with her and really enjoyed it.

It's well acted and puts an interesting twist on your usual "girl wants the guy she can't have drama."  Instead it's a dark comedy, where Charlize Theron plays an author of young adult novels, and has clearly decided real life works the same way.  Instead of it being a sugary fairytale, it's a sad (yet funny) story of an alcoholic woman living in the past and incapable of moving on with her life.  Thumbs up to Patton Oswalt as her drinking buddy/voice of reason.

« Reply #1549 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Serious question,

Certainly hurt my moviegoing experience, at least until the guy next to me kicked their chair.  ;)

Man I wish, I could barely pay attention to hunger games when a boy whispered something to a girl in front of me, she ran out crying and the rest of her friends yelled at the boy and then ran out.

Edit: which when you are paying 12 bucks a ticket plus 6 bucks for a sluh, really makes me mad

Benefits of living in a small town #3: even if there wasn't an usher, you can just yell at the kids. Chances are they're either the direct progeny of a person you know, or they're related somehow. Screw those kids.

« Reply #1550 on: April 17, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Since I contributed to the off-topic discussion, I'll also contribute to getting it back on topic :)

Watched Young Adult over the weekend, my fiancee picked it at random out of Redbox.  She was under the impression it was a chick flick, but when I learned it wasn't I watched it with her and really enjoyed it.

It's well acted and puts an interesting twist on your usual "girl wants the guy she can't have drama."  Instead it's a dark comedy, where Charlize Theron plays an author of young adult novels, and has clearly decided real life works the same way.  Instead of it being a sugary fairytale, it's a sad (yet funny) story of an alcoholic woman living in the past and incapable of moving on with her life.  Thumbs up to Patton Oswalt as her drinking buddy/voice of reason.

Oh man, I saw that movie start to finish but I almost quit watching during the climactic party scene. Just so brutally awkward.

At the same time, some of it was funny. Not really a 'funny movie', but at the same time, Patton Oswald was just awesome.

It was like a sculpture made of old cigarette butts.

« Reply #1551 on: April 17, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Watched 21 Jump Street. Friend of my girlfriend wanted to see it. I enjoyed it. The Depp cameo was well done. As someone who watched the TV show when Depp was on, I was glad to see them go in such a different direction as a comedy.

« Reply #1552 on: April 17, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Serious question,

Unfortunately, if you want to go see movies like Hunger Games, you're just asking for trouble.

Solution 1, just don’t go to movies that appeal to the junior high kids (which the vast majority of movies don’t). So just stay away from things like Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc., as well as the raunchy R rated comedies that really appeal to the younger crowd like Project X.  I bet there weren't a lot of junior high kids texting during Friends with Kids, Young Adult, the Iron Lady, or Black Swan.

Solution 2, go to movies on Sunday through Thursday.

Solution 3, try a new movie theater.  Some movie theaters are really popular with the junior high kids, so it tends to be the theater where all the kids go.  Usually has very lax standards, anybody can get into R rated movies, and you can easily sneak into other movies, might be near or in a mall, etc. So try another theater, even if it's a 10, 15, 20 minute farther drive, might be worth it.

Solution 4, find a theater with good security.  Where kids can’t sneak into other movies after there's is done, kids can’t get into R rated movies, and ushers will get rid of trouble makers. 

Solution 5, try a unique venue.  Drive-In’s during the summer or depending on where you live you can try a place like Chunky’s Cinema Pub (it’s a restaurant that plays popular movies while you eat).Never been there, but it seems cool:

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1553 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Unfortunately, if you want to go see movies like Hunger Games, you're just asking for trouble.

Solution 1, just don’t go to movies that appeal to the junior high kids (which the vast majority of movies don’t). So just stay away from things like Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc., as well as the raunchy R rated comedies that really appeal to the younger crowd like Project X.  I bet there weren't a lot of junior high kids texting during Friends with Kids, Young Adult, the Iron Lady, or Black Swan.

TP for both of these.  Going to a movie on a weekday afternoon is one of the simple joys in life.  The tix are cheaper, there are no lines, and you have the best seat in the house. 

And like bdm said, you are not going to see 14 year olds at the next Todd Field movie.  look for more mature movies that aren't going to attract the junior high crowd.

« Reply #1554 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
look for more mature movies that aren't going to attract the junior high crowd.

"Annnd also playing at Ricefield Cinema's, some period piece starring Merryl Streep, or Phillip Seymore Hoffman or someone that nobody under 30 will even consider paying money to watch!"

« Reply #1555 on: April 17, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Serious question,

Wife and our friends wanted to go see Hunger Games, so we went to a Sunday matinee, when all the 8th graders were busy annoying people in church.  Worked like a charm - a few were there but their numbers were too small to really start bouncing off one another.

And BTW any theater is a pub theater when you own a hip flask  ;)

« Reply #1556 on: April 17, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Went to Mirror, Mirror because my wife really wanted to see it.

It was ok.  my wife was disappointed it wasn't funnier.  I had low expectations so it exceeded them for me.

used a couple of free passes otherwise I would have felt ripped off.

« Reply #1557 on: April 17, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Iron Man 2 and Thor as part of my ongoing pre-Avengers marathon.

A Nigerian movie called the Power of Love Parts 1 to 4 featuring someone CNN calls the "Julia Roberts of Africa" Apparently the movie industry in Nigeria is the 2nd largest in the world. I had no idea. Their movies are basically 2 to 3 hour mini-series. Not as good as telenovelas but from what I've seen a decent substitute for when I want to watch some entertaining over the top drama.     

Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #1558 on: April 24, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Great movie 5/5 in my book. To summarize the film a Doctor discovers, what seems to be a cure for cancer, and the FDA does everything within their power to bury him. My favorite quote of the movie "Under the Capitalist sun, nothing is sacred". I highly suggest this documentary.

« Reply #1559 on: April 24, 2012, 07:13:20 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Battleship and Flipped.
I moved the cheese.