Author Topic: Phoenix Suns at Boston Celtics Scrimmage #2 7/26/20  (Read 11241 times)

Re: Phoenix Suns at Boston Celtics Scrimmage #2 7/26/20
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Whatever sparked JTs confidence after the all-star game is still in there - just needs to blossom again. Every time I start to think maybe JB is overtaking JT, Tatum brings it to another level. This time we know for that the next level is there.
Don't think Jaylen has improved all that much except for showing better touch and finishing around the rim, it's Tatum who has regressed.

So in other words (while he could still improve his passing), Jaylen is now essentially one of the most dynamic scorers in the NBA? Honestly, it looked like he was just toying with guys out there. I know it was a meaningless game, but his ability to go 1 on 3 in the open court or to create space out of the high post was on another level; it looked effortless for him.

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Whatever sparked JTs confidence after the all-star game is still in there - just needs to blossom again. Every time I start to think maybe JB is overtaking JT, Tatum brings it to another level. This time we know for that the next level is there.
Don't think Jaylen has improved all that much except for showing better touch and finishing around the rim, it's Tatum who has regressed.

So in other words (while he could still improve his passing), Jaylen is now essentially one of the most dynamic scorers in the NBA? Honestly, it looked like he was just toying with guys out there. I know it was a meaningless game, but his ability to go 1 on 3 in the open court or to create space out of the high post was on another level; it looked effortless for him.
I wouldn't go that far. Imo he still doesn't have high-level on-ball skills, and that includes stuff like dribbling, pullup jump shots, etc. His improved finishing ability has certainly opened up things for him in both transition and the half court, but he still doesn't have the ability to consistently create high-efficiency shots one on one to be called one of the most dynamic scorers in the league. Not too sure about his high-post game, I think a larger sample size is needed before we can say he can generate a decent chunk of quality on-ball offence with it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I wouldn't go that far. Imo he still doesn't have high-level on-ball skills, and that includes stuff like dribbling, pullup jump shots, etc. His improved finishing ability has certainly opened up things for him in both transition and the half court, but he still doesn't have the ability to consistently create high-efficiency shots one on one to be called one of the most dynamic scorers in the league. Not too sure about his high-post game, I think a larger sample size is needed before we can say he can generate a decent chunk of quality on-ball offence with it.

I mean I think his dribbling and pull up jump shooting are now legitimately very good. I feel like this scouting report was a lot more applicable a year ago. The only scoring move he doesn't yet have is pull up three point shooting, but even that he at least flashes (30.4% on 79 attempts).

If you look at his % of FG assisted on he went from 57.1 last year to 46.9 this year indicating a large leap in self created offense while also going from 54.7 to 58.9 true  shooting. Its hard to both create more offense and be more efficient, thats a SUBSTANTIAL improvement. 

No does that mean he's a superstar? Not yet. But there are ways he could get there. Improvement in off the dribble three point shooting, getting to the line more, improved passing to name 3.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:48:22 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i did not watch the game. romeo scored 9 points in limited minutes. how did he look?

thanks and a tp for answers.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
i did not watch the game. romeo scored 9 points in limited minutes. how did he look?

He looked very decisive. He made some nice kick out passes, and he took it to the rim a few times. His 3 point shot was a bit off at first, but he did connect later in the game.

Overall deserves more PT, especially since we will need him if we go deep enough that Hayward will be out for childbirth responsibilities.

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2020, 11:07:52 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I mean I think his dribbling and pull up jump shooting are now legitimately very good. I feel like this scouting report was a lot more applicable a year ago. The only scoring move he doesn't yet have is pull up three point shooting, but even that he at least flashes (30.4% on 79 attempts).

If you look at his % of FG assisted on he went from 57.1 last year to 46.9 this year indicating a large leap in self created offense while also going from 54.7 to 58.9 true  shooting. Its hard to both create more offense and be more efficient, thats a SUBSTANTIAL improvement. 

No does that mean he's a superstar? Not yet. But there are ways he could get there. Improvement in off the dribble three point shooting, getting to the line more, improved passing to name 3.
I mean I agree with all of those and that still doesn't make him "one of the most dynamic scorers in the NBA" lol. I think Jaylen's an All-Star calibre wing right now with a opportunity to jump to All-NBA level if he continues adding to his game since the start of the season, I'm very high on him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2020, 11:08:36 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

He looked very decisive. He made some nice kick out passes, and he took it to the rim a few times. His 3 point shot was a bit off at first, but he did connect later in the game.

Overall deserves more PT, especially since we will need him if we go deep enough that Hayward will be out for childbirth responsibilities.
How was his defence and interior passing? Did he miss the latter in favour of kickouts? I missed the second half so I didn't watch Langford play :(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I mean I agree with all of those and that still doesn't make him "one of the most dynamic scorers in the NBA" lol. I think Jaylen's an All-Star calibre wing right now with a opportunity to jump to All-NBA level if he continues adding to his game since the start of the season, I'm very high on him.

Ya i agree with that, I was more commenting on the fact that you were questioning his "on-ball skills" when thats bee his largest area of improvement this year. But I dont think we really disagree that much.

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2020, 12:25:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Ya i agree with that, I was more commenting on the fact that you were questioning his "on-ball skills" when thats bee his largest area of improvement this year. But I dont think we really disagree that much.
To be fair I did say high-level lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA