Author Topic: Brown for Garland - who says no?  (Read 2123 times)

Brown for Garland - who says no?
« on: June 13, 2023, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Mitchell becomes primary ballhandeler, phones Brown and tells him I would really like to play together…

Brown gives approval for extension as Donovan is his mate. We get a younger, slightly cheaper PG who will be a star when its said and done. Cleveland get finally their wingplayer.

Levert probably needs to be in the deal for salary purposes and we might to throw in a pick to sweeten the deal.

Im a big Garland fan and believe he has another level to go to. Just a better fit it seems like.

Who says no?

Re: Brown for Garland - who says no?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 01:28:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lavert is an expiring contract, so he can't be included.  And, I don't think there's a need for salary filler after July 1.

My concern is roster balance.  One of Brown's strengths is that he can play both SG and SF very well.  We don't really have anybody decent to fill that SF role when Tatum plays PF under this scenario.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 01:44:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I like Garland.  I see him as an underrated player.  But I need more for Brown.  Maybe something like:

Brown + Pritchard

for

Garland + Okoro

This would add salary in the first season but save quite a bit down the road over the Brown supermax.  Addresses the loss of wing minutes.  We actually get younger.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 01:50:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I like Garland.  I see him as an underrated player.  But I need more for Brown.  Maybe something like:

Brown + Pritchard

for

Garland + Okoro

This would add salary in the first season but save quite a bit down the road over the Brown supermax.  Addresses the loss of wing minutes.  We actually get younger.

I agree with this trade since it cover's some of Garland's flaws with Isaac Okoro. Reports out of Cleveland state that the team no longer views him as a core player but Cleveland had a strange roster construction and maybe he would do well with a change of scenery.

He was the 5th pick in the 2020 draft, known as a hard worker and good teammate, and we would need a rim runner if we were to lose Jaylen. Okoro has always been a defense first role player and if we were to bring in Garland we'd have to move one of Smart, Brogdon, or White. Okoro could do a lot of the things that Smart is capable of if we were to move him.

All that being said I still think I'd rather JKJB than go for Garland.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 02:15:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I heard Simmons and Russillo talk about this. I like Garland a lot and think he's a good player, but this made no sense to me.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 02:16:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Brown + Pritchard

for

Garland + Okoro

I agree with this trade since it cover's some of Garland's flaws with Isaac Okoro. Reports out of Cleveland state that the team no longer views him as a core player but Cleveland had a strange roster construction and maybe he would do well with a change of scenery.

He was the 5th pick in the 2020 draft, known as a hard worker and good teammate, and we would need a rim runner if we were to lose Jaylen. Okoro has always been a defense first role player and if we were to bring in Garland we'd have to move one of Smart, Brogdon, or White. Okoro could do a lot of the things that Smart is capable of if we were to move him.

All that being said I still think I'd rather JKJB than go for Garland.

I agree with you in that if we trade Brown and bring in someone who is more of a PG only (to go with all the Combo Guards, Smart, White, and Brogdon), then we have to do a subsequent trade of one of Smart, White, Brogdon, probably for a PF or C.  That is OK, it just complicates things, and means more changes to a team that is already pretty good.  Otherwise, there just aren't enough Guard minutes for Garland, Smart, White, and Brogdon.

Maybe the subsequent trade could be Brogdon and Muscala for Ayton.  Brogdon would be a good fit to replace Chris Paul.  Muscala might have some use for them.  This would add even more salary for us the first year (making it harder to sign/match Grant) but we come out ahead long term still if you consider the Brown extension at Supermax level.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:07:46 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
I think Garland is a great player. For most of the reasons listed in the above posts, I wouldn't move Brown for him.

If it is true he isn't viewed as a core member in Cleveland, I would move basically anything they wanted outside of our stars to snag him. He is the kind of deadeye, passing lead guard that fits great with bigger stars. I just don't think Cleveland would move him for anything but a star.
#JKJB

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 03:14:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I get the concept, but I think this makes Cleveland incredible and I'm not sure I want to do that. If you can get Donovan, I do that, but then it makes a lot less sense for Cleveland with Brown expiring and not having his buddy there.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 03:18:14 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Boston says no. JB just made 2nd team All NBA and he plays the wing. Not a good return for them at all. Also, don't the Celtics have enough 6'3"/6'4" guards?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
I would be much more afraid to play against Garland in a playoff series than Jaylen Brown…for that reason I would do it.

It’s strange because Jaylen has played in like 80 playoff games already and still just doesn’t seem to get it.

Simply put: Garland has another level to go to, Jaylen does not.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
CLE says yes.
BOS says maybe. Probably no.

I would say yes though. I like Garland and believe he could be a better complement to Tatum than Jaylen is. That would lead to further roster changes. A move away from the three combo guards as we now have a prototypical PG to run the team. So we can trade 2 of those guys for a wing and a big to round out our rotation differently. Play bigger. More size. Smaller at PG but more size elsewhere.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 03:50:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Brown + Pritchard

for

Garland + Okoro

I am not that keen on Okoro. He was a liability for CLE. He couldn't provide enough offense to stay on the court. It is not just the below average shooting but he is even worse at ball-handling and passing. His defense is very strong but his offense was so bad that he became a liability for CLE in the playoffs.

I'd rather just take Garland straight up and leave Okoro in CLE.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 04:04:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Can we get Wade and Garland for Brown and Pritchard plus a future protected first from the Cavs? Our starting 5 would be TIMELORD, Wade, Tatum, White, Garland.

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Can we get Wade and Garland for Brown and Pritchard plus a future protected first from the Cavs? Our starting 5 would be TIMELORD, Wade, Tatum, White, Garland.

Why didn't Dean Wade play in the playoffs?

I was surprised to see him drop out of the rotation. Was he injured? They seemed to rate him highly especially when they let K Love leave. Wade had some two way game. He has size. NY were beating CLE up in the paint. Why didn't he play?

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2023, 04:13:48 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's not a horrible idea, but generally you should be wary of helping a team you're likely facing in the playoffs for years to come. Also, 6'1''?? I mean come on, 6'3'' I can deal with. PAYTON PRITCHARD is also officially 6'1'' if that provides any context. If Bam set a screen on him, Garland would probably totally disappear like an eclipse or something and you'd momentarily wonder why we only have 4 players on the court.

I also think that Cleveland as a smaller market team is trying to shed established guys for cheaper players right now. Jarrett Allen is the guy they're trying to get off of now in anticipation of Mobley getting a big extension in 2 years and the CBA restrictions coming up. Does that mean Garland is an eventual casualty as well? Maybe, but they drafted him and I think they want to go forward for now and worry about it when Mobley's new deal hits. If they dealt Garland, I think they'd rather do it for defensive role player types that wouldn't cost as much, and maybe one young player with some potential.