Author Topic: Who Can We Realistically Get For Tatum AND Brown?  (Read 1711 times)

Who Can We Realistically Get For Tatum AND Brown?
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Which superstar could we possibly obtain in exchange for Tatum and Brown? I personally do not want to see us bogged down by a max for Brown next offseason, let alone compounding it with a max for Tatum unless he becomes an all-star this year, so I would prefer to build around an existing superstar in his mid-20s who’s locked in for 3-4 years. Build around him, Smart and hope we hit it big in the draft in 2020 and score Giannis and Rudy in 2021.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:06:48 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

Re: Who Can We Realistically Get For Tatum AND Brown?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:09:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nobody, realistically. Because nobody who would be worth trading both will be available.  Not unless theyve already expressed unhappiness in their current situation and have only one year left.

In which case the team won't take the chance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
What kind of “assets” can’t be traded for anything of equal value? We’re totally screwed if Tatum and Brown do not equal the value of even one superstar.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:18:39 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Banner 18, 19, and 20

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
This isn’t a video game. Assets don’t have a fixed value that can simply be added up. In truth there is no package that could equal the value of a superstar in his prime. Those guys only get traded when they make it clear that they won’t re-sign. At that point the teams takes the best deal they can get. I think Danny could have gotten AD, but since he made it clear he would not stay it was crazy to give up good assets for him. Same with Kawhi, San Antonio didn’t want to trade him and the package they got was not equal value, but he forced their hand.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:55:36 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
You’re underestimating those two. A good argument could be made, I think - I would make it - that the two J’s are a second and a third banana.

1) You need to have a second and a third banana;

2) The best way to get a top banana is in free agency, not in trade;

3) If you trade away a second or third banana, you have to replace him anyway.

Ergo it’s unlikely that trading them is going to happen.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:25:20 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t know why people assume they won’t be stars yet are convinced we will have to pay them max money.

If they are max guys, they are probably worth it. If they aren’t, they will probably get Bradley-like contracts.

There is a market, not every decent player gets maxed, believe it or not.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:51 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Superstar? I don't think any except Russ Westbrook probably if you count him as one and maybe James Harden.

All star? Paul George probably. Maybe Damian Lillard. Maybe Bradley Beal. Definitely Kevin Love or DeMar DeRozan although I think Tatum might already be as good or better than them.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
For now, just keep them.

They would've been moved for AD, but at the moment, the Celts should just focus on free agency.

Reassess in the summer of 2020 depending on what type of season they've had and the overall state of the team.

The only wrinkle is Jaylen Brown is going to be a restricted free agent in 2020. So, do you commit decent sized dollars to keep him or do you deal him, possibly by the February trade deadline, depending on his value and who's available?

Anyway, I think until at least February, both guys stay in Boston.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Dunno what you're concerned about, because I don't know if anyone will offer JB a max barring a huge leap this upcoming season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 12:11:20 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Dunno what you're concerned about, because I don't know if anyone will offer JB a max barring a huge leap this upcoming season

But I'm also thinking about the summer of 2021 when guys like Giannis, Beal and Lillard are free agents.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 12:24:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

But I'm also thinking about the summer of 2021 when guys like Giannis, Beal and Lillard are free agents.
That's fair, but we'd inevitably be trading the two youngsters for someone we'd need to pay big money too wouldn't we? I guess if it's a two for one it makes sense, but it would have to be a mightily good player otherwise we should just keep the youth
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:12 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Is brown worth the max and will brown be paid the max are two very different questions. I think the answers are no and yes, respectively. This isn’t Bradley or Smart we’re talking about whose ceilings you can more clearly see.
- LilRip