Author Topic: Hated Tonight, and Now Woj + Shams Both Hint at Vuce Interest  (Read 7207 times)

Re: Hated Tonight, and Now Woj + Shams Both Hint at Vuce Interest
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 09:30:44 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I’m sure the interest is there in Vuc, but who knows whether he will want to leave Orlando (great weather and no taxes) or go elsewhere besides Boston.

That said, if they bring him in, I’d be ok with keeping Rozier. He’s a pretty good spot-up shooter, is careful with the ball, and will have Hayward to take a lot of the playmaking responsibilities.

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

That’s a pretty good starting five. How he fills out the bench will be interesting.

If they can bring someone decent in with the RE (I guess that’s around 2yr/$10M), resign Theis, and hope Langford is ready, we could have a shot.

Bench of Smart, Theis, Langford, Semi(?), and the Room Exception wouldn’t be the worst, I guess. Maybe dump Yabu and future first for a high risk/high reward third-year player.

If Tatum and/or Brown take the leap (which is much more possible without Kyrie), we could be a dangerous team. I hope they are hungry and really dig in this offseason. Neither met expectations last season and the Celtics clearly have faith in them.

There’s really no other choice. We can’t really tank. It’ll be a terrible environment for the Jay’s and Hayward would want out.

No need to tank, just retool.  I assume that's the reason DA is opening up cap space.

Wyc has said in the past he doesn't mind paying the tax for a contending team.  Last year's team turned out not to be a contender so it is unsurprising the Cs are retooling and encouraging the high-priced FAs to leave.

I understand why Grant Williams was drafted but I wonder if he has a weight problem.  I understand he reduced his BMI prior to the combine and I get the intangibles argument but we have had hefty, undersized 4s like him in the recent past who have eaten their way out of the league.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I’m sure the interest is there in Vuc, but who knows whether he will want to leave Orlando (great weather and no taxes) or go elsewhere besides Boston.

That said, if they bring him in, I’d be ok with keeping Rozier. He’s a pretty good spot-up shooter, is careful with the ball, and will have Hayward to take a lot of the playmaking responsibilities.

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

That’s a pretty good starting five. How he fills out the bench will be interesting.

If they can bring someone decent in with the RE (I guess that’s around 2yr/$10M), resign Theis, and hope Langford is ready, we could have a shot.

Bench of Smart, Theis, Langford, Semi(?), and the Room Exception wouldn’t be the worst, I guess. Maybe dump Yabu and future first for a high risk/high reward third-year player.

If Tatum and/or Brown take the leap (which is much more possible without Kyrie), we could be a dangerous team. I hope they are hungry and really dig in this offseason. Neither met expectations last season and the Celtics clearly have faith in them.

There’s really no other choice. We can’t really tank. It’ll be a terrible environment for the Jay’s and Hayward would want out.

You couldn't be more right about this.  The Celtics future title window is dependent upon the development of the two J's.  Most importantly, they need to develop within a winning culture.  Next year is about establishing a new foundation for them to build upon.  It sucks to see our title hopes slip away, but we need to reset our expectations.  There's real value in the two J's, plus Hayward, leading the team to a competitive Semi-Final or Conference Final.   

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

I think that's basically right. I'd suggest a few revisions on our bench bigs. Grant Williams is going to get reserve minutes this year unless he's much worse than I think, and I'm hoping Rob Williams is ready for some minutes as well. Theis is probably gone but I'm prepared to be wrong. Ojeleye should be ready to play a 3 and D role, and I can't see any way we're letting him go given his contract and demonstrated ability to play NBA defense.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

Makes sense. A losing environment would be the worst thing for us for sure if we are looking for them to stay in Boston and become stars.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 09:39:20 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
So, if we do somehow get Vuce at max contract and Brown and Tatum get their max going forward. Where does this leave us cap wise in 2021? Will we have room for another max that year or will the Vuce contract prohibit us and this will be are starting lineup going forward?

I am not in love with signing a borderline star(good player, dont get me wrong) as a stop gap that stops us from being able to rope another big star here in two years. Stop gaps that plug the hole with cement for four years does not sound like the way to the promised land unless we firmly believe in two years time, one of Brown and Tatum will already be that amazing closer to take us there night in and night out. I guess it is possible but they will still only be 23 and 24 in two years time so not too sure about this. Maybe it is not a 2 year window I should be looking at I guess....maybe we are looking not at 21 but rather 23 when our young players are entering their prime and Vuce will be coming off a 4 year deal he might sign with us now. Hard to know...the idea of just being in the middle of the pack the next few years is not that appealing to me although I will of course enjoy watching our young players evolve and grow.

I guess there is also hope Hayward comes back close to full strength next year. That is the wildcard in this. With Vuce, and fully recovered Hayward, there is a chance we hover around 50 wins again with maybe a 2nd round appearance. If Hayward truly shines, we could shock our way to the conference finals as well.

I don't think the team is super concerned with retaining cap space for next season, or even the season after, at least for a major FA signing. They want to retain Brown + Tatum, unless they flip Brown for something, in which case... who knows. ASSUMING we're keeping those two, my feeling is the team wants to make playoff runs with a competitive team now - both to develop chemistry and experience, and because we aren't bad enough to tank anyway. If we roll out Vooch, Tatum, Brown, healthy Hayward, Smart/Rozier, that's a playoff team in the east that has potentially 2-3 all-stars. Over the next few years, you see if Tatum/Brown turn into stars. If they don't, drawing board. If either/both do, then you become an attractive contender-in-waiting for a FA as some contracts come off the books.

Sounds about right to me. TP

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 09:40:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It was a good draft to have several middling first round picks, and I thought Danny did a good job spending his capital.

I'm more intrigued by taking a bad contract where the player is still quite good and serves a team need (Adams) than  over spending for a 2nd tier FA, which will result in a longer term deal on our books (Vucevic).

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

No need to tank, just retool.  I assume that's the reason DA is opening up cap space.

Wyc has said in the past he doesn't mind paying the tax for a contending team.  Last year's team turned out not to be a contender so it is unsurprising the Cs are retooling and encouraging the high-priced FAs to leave.

I understand why Grant Williams was drafted but I wonder if he has a weight problem.  I understand he reduced his BMI prior to the combine and I get the intangibles argument but we have had hefty, undersized 4s like him in the recent past who have eaten their way out of the league.

What's the evidence he has a weight problem? He looks cut in the videos I've seen, and he tested to 5.4% bodyfat at the combine. (I'll grant that the combine numbers are suspiciously low in absolute terms, but even if they're off GW was also on the low end in relative terms so he's not carrying more bodyfat than other players.) He's one of the strongest players P3 has ever tested. I think he's just really, really strong. 

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I also hated tonight (well, last night), but I don't think it was because of Danny-panic (Danic?). Our GM has his faults, but I don't think that panicking under pressure is one of them. In fact, if anything, his problem is being too cerebral.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Completely different angle:  I heard the theory that Danny was drafting for "high character" with the thought that last year's "team culture" was was going in the wrong direction.  However, I don't know any of these draft picks so I can't comment.

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

What's the evidence he has a weight problem? He looks cut in the videos I've seen, and he tested to 5.4% bodyfat at the combine. (I'll grant that the combine numbers are suspiciously low in absolute terms, but even if they're off GW was also on the low end in relative terms so he's not carrying more bodyfat than other players.) He's one of the strongest players P3 has ever tested. I think he's just really, really strong.

One of his greatest attributes is his physical strength, which compensates for his lack of size.

No one seems to have a problem with Zion Williamson's lack of size. Partly because of his incredible strength. Williams is not in the same athletic sphere as Zion (no one is), but he has a very high BBIQ, and very good shooting touch. I think he will get some good minutes with us his rookie year.

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'd take Vuce in second I think he fits well into our system. I agree I absolutely hated the draft! Romeo may become a very good player but unless moves are made to loosen up the logjam of wings on this team he will never see the floor. We already have Brown, Tatum and Hayward who will want all those minutes. Assuming we get a PG Smart plays a lot of wing too. I still think there is a chance we make a move with the Cavs for the PG they drafted for dare I say Brown. Not sure if I like that move but I could understand it if Danny thinks the kid is going to be a legit player. Not interested in bringing back Rozier so we shall see what happens going forward.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd take Vuce in second I think he fits well into our system. I agree I absolutely hated the draft! Romeo may become a very good player but unless moves are made to loosen up the logjam of wings on this team he will never see the floor. We already have Brown, Tatum and Hayward who will want all those minutes. Assuming we get a PG Smart plays a lot of wing too. I still think there is a chance we make a move with the Cavs for the PG they drafted for dare I say Brown. Not sure if I like that move but I could understand it if Danny thinks the kid is going to be a legit player. Not interested in bringing back Rozier so we shall see what happens going forward.
You cannot plan for Hayward to be here beyond this coming season, he has a player option for the 4th year and may decide to head back to FA. Now he might just take the money given his play the past year if he doesn't improve. But if he bounces back and looks good the C's will have to compete in FA for his services going forward.

So drafting another SG/Wing type makes sense. Its not like at 14 you're committed to as a foundational player him if Hayward does stick around.

You need a 4th wing to player to get 10-20 mpg anyways in the modern NBA.

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 10:11:33 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Will Carsen Edwards get a contract from the Celts?

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Dont think we can trade for Capela now with Baynes contract gone..so get either 2..Vucevic, Randle, Adams, Katner, Noel, Dedmon, Jordan
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

Rozier
Brown
Hayward
Tatum
Vucevic

Is indeed a pretty good starting five, but lacks the interior defense to be able to contain a team like the Bucks or 76ers. That's a guaranteed 1st or 2nd round exit.