Author Topic: Steven Adams?  (Read 11662 times)

Re: Steven Adams?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 06:02:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Steven Adams would be great for this team. Exactly the type of defensive rebounder and rebounder this team's offensive players (Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen) need next to them.

Agreed. I'd strongly prefer him to Vuvecic. I hope we can swing this somehow, he'd be a perfect fit.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Unless a third team somehow got involved, I don’t see how we get it done financially. Unless we just intend to use all the cap space on him.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Unless a third team somehow got involved, I don’t see how we get it done financially.

We could theoretically absorb him into the cap space we'd open up by renouncing our FAs.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 06:09:15 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
Unless a third team somehow got involved, I don’t see how we get it done financially.

We could theoretically absorb him into the cap space we'd open up by renouncing our FAs.

I can’t help but think that’s a waste of cap space.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think it's by far a better prospect than signing DLo or Vucevic. Plus, his contract will expire the same time has Gordon's. Might as well use that cap to bring in an impact guy before Jaylen gets a big new deal next offseason.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 06:16:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Adams would make it a lot easier to play Hayward at PF. Give Boston that dominant rebounder and defensive paint presence to help compensate for the lack of contribution they'd be getting from PF in those areas.

Furthermore, starting Hayward at PF would make it much easier to start Smart (PG), Jaylen (SG) and Tatum (SF) on the perimeter because Hayward would give the offense that secondary ball-handler and playmaker that it so badly needs.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like Adams  but the guy simply has no post moves.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It’s not my first choice of cap space, but depending on the return received in future draft compensation, there are definitely many worse ways to use it.  We’re not going to have enough space next season for a significant free agent with or without Adams on the roster, so might as well spend it now.  If you can get a starter at a position of need for two seasons and a future 1st to go with it, you really could do a lot worse.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I like Adams  but the guy simply has no post moves.

But he's a pretty good pick & roll guy.

If post moves are the only qualifiers, we should just bring back Greg Monroe.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

It’s not my first choice of cap space, but depending on the return received in future draft compensation, there are definitely many worse ways to use it.  We’re not going to have enough space next season for a significant free agent with or without Adams on the roster, so might as well spend it now.  If you can get a starter at a position of need for two seasons and a future 1st to go with it, you really could do a lot worse.

I forgot about the prospect of getting compensation for taking on Adams. I certainly prefer trading for Adams to signing a guy like Vucevic, but I’d be highly concerned with the PG spot if we don’t address it.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I forgot about the prospect of getting compensation for taking on Adams. I certainly prefer trading for Adams to signing a guy like Vucevic, but I’d be highly concerned with the PG spot if we don’t address it.

Why would OKC send draft compensation if they were to move Adams? He's a legit starting center in this league.

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell

Why would OKC send draft compensation if they were to move Adams? He's a legit starting center in this league.

Money reasons. They’re looking for a team to take on the money so they can save against the luxury tax. Asking another team to add $20 million or so costs assets.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 06:36:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Yeah, I see us giving up picks to get Adams. Probably 2 of our 3 firsts. Our 2 later firsts. Keeping the #14.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Just start Marcus and get a solid backup PG.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Because Adams is owed $53 million over the next two seasons and trading Adams would reduce their luxury tax bill from over $50 million this year and some other lesser, but still 8-figure amount next year to zero.  So trading Adams saves them $100 million over two seasons, easily.  Starting centers are not worth $50 millions year, especially as the league moves more and more to a perimeter game.

He’s useful, but he’s overpriced even for his own salary, which means he will be difficult to trade.  Add in the significant luxury tax savings (OKC paid $60 million to the tax last season) and they have quite the incentive to get rid of him, and should be expect to move at least a first-round pick with him.