Author Topic: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!  (Read 9241 times)

Re: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2019, 02:35:03 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
With Kyrie Irving and Al Horford on the verge of leaving, we will have the cap space to offer the max, or close. Now before you call me crazy, here's why we should do it for Malcolm Brogdon?

Now I get it, he's not really an all-star caliber player, not worthy of the max. True, but he's also a very good player.

- only 26.
- averaged 50-40-90 shooting this year.
- very good defender.
- unselfish.
- can play in any system, as a PG, as a SG, as a guy who handle the ball, or as a guy who can play off it.
- only 4 years in the league, his max wouldn't be crippling to the club.

So, at worst, we overpay a guy who can average 16 - 5 - 5 for us with terrific efficiency, a good defender, and an excellent fit to the squad. At best, maybe he do much better with more playing time (played 28 minutes per game last season).

The kicker to this, it puts the Milwaukee Bucks in a position. Match it and they deal with luxury tax implications moving forward. They don't, they lose an excellent bench player.

This might be very rash and reactionary to the news that just dropped, but really, the more I think about it, the more it's starting to make sense.

All reports indicate his value is 15 to 16 mill per season.

But someone will pry him from the bucks, who already have 70 mill committed at will need to offer middleton the max, resign lopez, sign their pick,  and renounce all they can. And drop hills contract to the 1 mill guarantee and they will be sitting at roughly 112 million.

Hard cap is at roughly 132.

So 20 mill is the space left, but bucks will want to use exemptions amd resign mirotic...so that reduces the number they will match.

21 million, maybe 22 is the number that gets Brogdon. Not the max.

Celtics offer 22 million, when brogdon accepts and bucka do not match, you then offer them smart in a sign and trade saving team enough to chase cousins. Or just sign randle with remaining capspace

I’m not on board with trading them Smart, but by trading Yabusele and renouncing everyone (including Terry) that should be $38 million. 

Sign Brogdon for 4 years starting at $20 million, Randle for 4 years starting at $18 million.  This team could grow together and be very dangerous and hopefully Hayward gets back to his old self.  We would still need a Robin Lopez type to provide some defense and hope Williams 3 is ready.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Way to much.

Anything less and the Bucks would just match. It has to be near the max, or the max. The Bucks may match it at the max too, but at least we put them right at or over the tax line with that.

Yes, it will be an overpay, but just like with Al Horford, it wouldn't matter because he'll be an excellent player for us, an excellent fit and a leader. The overpay will be justified because of all the good things he will bring, and man, on every facet of the game, he brings something good to it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Way to much.

Anything less and the Bucks would just match. It has to be near the max, or the max. The Bucks may match it at the max too, but at least we put them right at or over the tax line with that.

Yes, it will be an overpay, but just like with Al Horford, it wouldn't matter because he'll be an excellent player for us, an excellent fit and a leader. The overpay will be justified because of all the good things he will bring, and man, on every facet of the game, he brings something good to it.

If a player is not worth it,  he is not worth it.

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Way to much.

But Brogdon is worth it.

He did all that he did last year as a fourth option. Give him more PT, an upgraded role compare to what he played in Milwaukee, and more touches, he could potentially be a 20-5-5 guy, along with everything else that he brings. That is borderline Jrue Holiday territory of production.

Al Horford was worth it. Malcolm Brogdon will. I mean, that's how I see him as a player, at least.

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Love Brogdon, but umm...

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Way to much.

But Brogdon is worth it.

He did all that he did last year as a fourth option. Give him more PT, an upgraded role compare to what he played in Milwaukee, and more touches, he could potentially be a 20-5-5 guy, along with everything else that he brings. That is borderline Jrue Holiday territory of production.

Al Horford was worth it. Malcolm Brogdon will. I mean, that's how I see him as a player, at least.

Horford was the best player on a playoff team in Atlanta. 

These two players do not compare in value.

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Way to much.

But Brogdon is worth it.

agreed.  I'd like to have Brogdon but only at the right price.  The max or near max is not the right price.

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Love Brogdon, but umm...

This. Not a max player.

« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2019, 03:29:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
He's more valuable to The Bucks ( Keeping Giannis...) than to The Celtics.

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Way to much.

But Brogdon is worth it.

But his production didn't warrant a max either. Horford was 15 - 7 - 3 in his final year in ATL. Yeah, he was an All-Star, but his numbers didn't warrant a max, and he was turning 30, and we gave it to him anyway.

Why? It's because of the intangibles. Brogdon has the same intangibles.

Also, I think Paul Millsap was the best player there on that year.

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Way to much.

But Brogdon is worth it.

But his production didn't warrant a max either. Horford was 15 - 7 - 3 in his final year in ATL. Yeah, he was an All-Star, but his numbers didn't warrant a max, and he was turning 30, and we gave it to him anyway.

Why? It's because of the intangibles. Brogdon has the same intangibles.

Also, I think Paul Millsap was the best player there on that year.

We watched 4 seasons of Horford so we know better then a sports radio hot take on stats.

He is a good player.   He is not a near max player.