Author Topic: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!  (Read 9240 times)

Re: Offer Malcolm Brogdon the max contract!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 10:32:07 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I like Brogdon, but I have no interest in him at the max.  You don't sink 25-30% of the cap in a role player.  That's the type of deal that weighs a team down for years.

I think that's the only way we sway him to go. Not offering him the max and Milwaukee matches any offer.

I understand he will be overpaid with the max, but he'd still be a very good player for us. And it will weaken our competition.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
what would a max offer look like for Brogdon?  I am interested in this as well.

Brogdon-Brown-Smart is a nice 3 headed guard monster.  Size, decent shooting, ability to attack the rim, great def.

It probably starts at around $25 million - $27 million.

Cap gurus who know more than me would have more info.
25% of the project cap of 109M is 27.25M for next season.  Throw in 8% raises and your looking at 4yr/122.8M. 

Don't know why anyone thinks giving Brogdon a contract anywhere close to that is a good idea.  Giving lesser players that kind of money is how you screw up your future. 

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 10:36:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Brogdon-Brown-Smart is a nice 3 headed guard monster.  Size, decent shooting, ability to attack the rim, great def.

25% of the project cap of 109M is 27.25M for next season.  Throw in 8% raises and your looking at 4yr/122.8M. 

Don't know why anyone thinks giving Brogdon a contract anywhere close to that is a good idea.  Giving lesser players that kind of money is how you screw up your future.

Thought we can only give 5% raises?

I understand he's going to be overpaid, but he'd still be a very good player for us. Could be the guard version of Al Horford, quietly put up numbers and defend like crazy. It also weakens Milwaukee, either by them having to pay the tax or lose him.

I'm not arguing he's worth that, he's not, but even if he's overpaid, we improve and we defang our competition.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I guess I expected a Borgdon type player to cost us between 15-20mil.  If it takes us 27.25 mil wow...I am not sure he is worth that.  But what do i know?

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 10:39:03 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
And what about a front court? Have to have some money for that. A Baynes, Theis, Williams front court would be the worst in the NBA.

In due time. We still have draft picks we can dangle for trades, and Gordon Hayward's contract.

Not sure 3 mid round picks in a very flat draft and an albatross of a contract from Hayward will fetch all that much. I think Hayward has very little interest or value.

Hayward's contract is an expiring next year. Easily tradeable.

His 4th year is a player option. Hard to see him opting out of that payday unless he has a Paul George like resurgence.

That's what I meant. He takes that PO, he's an expiring for that year.

Which is the year after next. Not next year.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 10:40:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
And what about a front court? Have to have some money for that. A Baynes, Theis, Williams front court would be the worst in the NBA.

In due time. We still have draft picks we can dangle for trades, and Gordon Hayward's contract.

Not sure 3 mid round picks in a very flat draft and an albatross of a contract from Hayward will fetch all that much. I think Hayward has very little interest or value.

Hayward's contract is an expiring next year. Easily tradeable.

His 4th year is a player option. Hard to see him opting out of that payday unless he has a Paul George like resurgence.

That's what I meant. He takes that PO, he's an expiring for that year.

Which is the year after next. Not next year.

Yes. So we keep Hayward this year, wait until he's an expiring, and then try and trade his expiring for front court help.

We don't have to build the entire team in one off season.

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I guess I expected a Borgdon type player to cost us between 15-20mil.  If it takes us 27.25 mil wow...I am not sure he is worth that.  But what do i know?

Oh I admit he's going to be overpaid with my idea, I just think it's worth it either way because even as an overpaid player, he'd still be very good for us, and it puts Milwaukee in a position to either lose him or pay the luxury tax.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brogdon is eligible to an extension starting at 120% of the estimated average player salary. Hence his contract is gonna look like Josh Richardson's contract with the Heat, Norman Powell's contract with the Raps and Spencer Dinwiddie's contract with the Nets. No way the Bucks refuse to much such an offer sheet.

Here's an article regarding Spencer Dinwiddie's contract situation last season (same as Brogdon's situation this season).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/08/30/spencer-dinwiddie-extension-brooklyn-nets/

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I understand he's going to be overpaid, but he'd still be a very good player for us. Could be the guard version of Al Horford, quietly put up numbers and defend like crazy. It also weakens Milwaukee, either by them having to pay the tax or lose him.

I'm not arguing he's worth that, he's not, but even if he's overpaid, we improve and we defang our competition.
You're correct 5% raises.  So 4 yr/117.5M.  The Bucks aren't our only competition and losing Brogdon isn't going to defang them.  You don't make deals of that make deals of that magnitude to hurt your competition.  You don't make deals of that magnitude on lesser role players.  We're going to have to pay Brown after next season and Tatum in 2 more years.  We've got 3 draft picks to get a Brogdon level player. 

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brogdon is eligible to an extension starting at 120% of the estimated average player salary. Hence his contract is gonna look like Josh Richardson's contract with the Heat, Norman Powell's contract with the Raps and Spencer Dinwiddie's contract with the Nets. No way the Bucks refuse to much such an offer sheet.

Here's an article regarding Spencer Dinwiddie's contract situation last season (same as Brogdon's situation this season).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/08/30/spencer-dinwiddie-extension-brooklyn-nets/
Brogdon is a free agent.  The article you reference is about extending a player under contract.  That might have applied to Brogdon and the Bucks last offseason. 

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:05:06 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

You're correct 5% raises.  So 4 yr/117.5M.  The Bucks aren't our only competition and losing Brogdon isn't going to defang them.  You don't make deals of that make deals of that magnitude to hurt your competition.  You don't make deals of that magnitude on lesser role players.  We're going to have to pay Brown after next season and Tatum in 2 more years.  We've got 3 draft picks to get a Brogdon level player.

Outside of Malcom Brogdon, is anybody out there in their bench that you can call a reliable bench player? Tony Snell? Maybe they resign George Hill, but even then. Brogdon is their key bench guy, and losing him weakens them.

I doubt we find a guy like Brogdon with our draft picks. Dude is all around good. Offense and defense. Versatility. Shooting efficiency.

And I really don't know if Brogdon is a "lesser role player" kind of a guy. Last March, he averaged 17 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists on 28 minutes per game shooting 48-50-89 for the month. That is what he's capable of. You give him an extended role, with more minutes, and a couple more shots, and he could easily be a 20-5-5 guy with solid shooting efficiency, versatility and good defense. That is borderline Jrue Holiday territory, who's making around $26 million per. He could easily be the starting PG of this team moving forward.

I admit, it's an overpay, but with what he brings, and what he will do to the Bucks, I think it's worth gambling.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:37 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Vastly overpaying players who aren't worth it is how a team gets itself trapped in a cycle of mediocrity. Terrible idea. Robs flexibility if a star becomes available.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why?

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would not want Brogdon on a max deal. Not no way, not no how.

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 11:16:53 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
I like Brogdon, but I have no interest in him at the max.  You don't sink 25-30% of the cap in a role player.  That's the type of deal that weighs a team down for years.

I think that's the only way we sway him to go. Not offering him the max and Milwaukee matches any offer.

I understand he will be overpaid with the max, but he'd still be a very good player for us. And it will weaken our competition.

Not worthwhile.  If it would take the max to get him, then we should just accept that we aren't getting him. 

No offense, but willingly overpaying a player is almost always foolish.  There are some edge cases where it makes sense for a team making that last move to get over the top, but that doesn't match our current profile. 

Consider Otto Porter.  Good player who the Wizards overpaid (they should have just let him become the Nets' mistake at that price).  They then traded him to the Bulls, getting next to nothing in return because of his contract.  Otto Porter the player is valuable; Otto Porter the asset, taking into account his cap hit, is not. 

I see Brogdon as a similar case.