Author Topic: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?  (Read 29575 times)

Re: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 12:50:53 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Ok this is more realistic scenario since I expect Kyrie to leave and knicks to outbid is for Davis ...
Trade Hayward to Cleveland plus a late first for knight and Tristan .
Resign Rozier at 12 mil a year for 4 years
Resign Morris at 10 mil a year for 3 years
Resign Horford for 25 mil a year for 3 years
Use full MLE on a power forward - green from clippers
PG - Rozier / Knight / 14 pick
SG - brown / smart / 18 pick
SF - Tatum / Morris / Semi
PF - Horford / Green / Yabu
C - Tristan / Baynes / time lord
This is basically the same team as the 2018 playoff team with more rebounding.
At the deadline add a disgruntled star like Beal or George using knights expiring + one young player + a pick
Or trade for Conley with Roziers contract plus a pick.
This is as much savage control as we can do at this point.
This would make me vomit. Rozier at that money is literally insane. 35-40 win team
The assumption is that his contract becomes an asset (moderate value) come trade deadline.
I also think the team i put together (with the right amount of motivation from the coach) wins 80% of home games and 50% away games for a 52-30 record. 3rd seed or depending on injuries and how top heavy the east is possibly 2nd seed.

That team wouldn't even win 48 games on NBA 2K19. Let's be real..

That team came one game short  from the finals.. why wouldn’t they achieve 63% winning pct playing against rebuilding teams and unmotivated contenders in an 82game season?

I've said making the ECF was an anomaly. Probably could've been the worst thing that happened to us, because now we assume our team is great enough to just make it based on reputation alone... That isn't true.

The majority of the East improved, Bucks seem like a serious threat in our backside for years to come. That team would get beat by the Bucks in 5 or 6. We're assuming the Jays take a huge step forward, because

In your opinion

do you think the 2018 Cavs team loses to either 2019 Raptors or Bucks?

for me, I can't say for certain

as well you give no leeway for the Celts young guys to get better

this past season doesn't count. Their growth were actually stunted

In our run to the ECF last year it took us 7 games to get past the Bucks, by the skin of our teeth, with home court advantage.

If you don't think this year's Bucks team is better than last year's, I'd love to hear your explanation. The team is much better constructed, they play a much better scheme, and Giannis continues to improve (and get star treatment). The record bears it out: they won *16* more regular-season games this year!

How are we getting by them by revisiting last year's team (and IMO, Thompson is a clear step down from Baynes).

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
IMO the Celtic are in a tough position.

What makes you think Kyrie Irving will play any differently next year than he did last year? Why will he not be the ISO leader of the 2020 Boston Celtics? Is it because we could maybe have Anthony Davis? Is there anything in his past that indicates he can score when he needs to, and distribute the ball thus keeping the players on the floor engaged?

Kyrie wasn't the problem last year, at least on the court. 

The Celtics were fifth in the NBA last year in terms of assists per possession, only 0.2 assists per 100 possessions from third place in the NBA.  The ball moved just fine.

Kyrie never passing the ball is one of the greatest myths of the 18/19 season. He posted equal or greater assist numbers than guys like Damian Lillard and Kemba Walker (players he's usually compared negatively to) while shooting less.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2019, 01:02:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

What makes you think Kyrie Irving will play any differently next year than he did last year? Why will he not be the ISO leader of the 2020 Boston Celtics? Is it because we could maybe have Anthony Davis? Is there anything in his past that indicates he can score when he needs to, and distribute the ball thus keeping the players on the floor engaged?

The Celtics were fifth in the NBA last year in terms of assists per possession, only 0.2 assists per 100 possessions from third place in the NBA.  The ball moved just fine.

Kyrie never passing the ball is one of the greatest myths of the 18/19 season. He posted equal or greater assist numbers than guys like Damian Lillard and Kemba Walker (players he's usually compared negatively to) while shooting less.

I agree on the assist numbers. At the same time, the weird thing I saw with the eye test is that the team often fell into long funks where guys were standing around - no off-ball action and quick jump shots.  Not sure how to square that.

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Where were you? You are late with your Irving excuses

You know who else passed ... Rondo (cbs era)

But its not the kind of passing that energizes the team.

If you dont get this...rewatch tape

Watch how the Bucks play. They dont have one guy dominating/pounding the ball and instead pass to the open man. Ride the hot hand. Then this feeds into team energy on defense. Good or bad, they dont get off this system

Thats how you win

When things were tight or Celts were behind... you needed a special tool to pry the ball of Irving...

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ideal and realistic clash too much for me because NYK with Irving and the Davis bidding war but I'd like

Horford opts in but is dealt with Tatum, and picks14+20 for Davis and fillers (probably Moore).

Irving, Morris and Theis all resign. Baynes stays on current deal.

C's draft Bassey at 22 and CJ Massinburg 2nd round. Sign Chris Clemons as undrafted FA.

Irving/Smart/Clemons
Brown/Moore/Massinburg
Hayward/Morris/Semi
AD/Theis/Bassey
Baynes/Williams

Edit Sorry hard to not write in Tatum in lineups I'd miss the player lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:43:18 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Ideal and realistic clash too much for me because NYK with Irving and the Davis bidding war but I'd like

Horford opts in but is dealt with Tatum, and picks14+20 for Davis and fillers (probably Moore).

C's draft Bassey at 22 and CJ Massinburg 2nd round. Sign Chris Clemons as undrafted FA.

Irving/Smart/Clemons
Brown/Moore/Massinburg
Hayward/Morris/Semi
Tatum/Theis/Bassey
Davis/Baynes/Williams

I would love 2 Tatums too, one to trade and 1 to keep! DA a true wizard!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
It's weird to me that so many people seem to think that Kyrie coming back and the Celts trading for Davis is a "more likely than not" scenario at this point after all that's happened in the last month.  Heck, it's odd to me that anybody would think it's an especially 'likely" scenario at this point.

Straw man. The title says realistic, not likely. Kyrie resigning for more money and trading for AD is at least realistic even if you think that it isn’t the most likely outcome. Unrealistic are those NBA2K 5 team trade threads where the team looks completely different. All this takes is Kyrie taking the extra cash and the Pelicans liking our offer the best. Not unrealistic at all.

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Kyrie in the last 4 games against the Bucks was the most selfish NBA player I have ever seen.
His shooting was awful.
His shot selection was horrible.
His passing was terrible.
And he was the worst defensive player on the floor, at all times.

Stories about a silent locker room to avoid upsetting him.

Why in the world would we want him back?

Certainly not for leadership.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2019, 01:23:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kyrie in the last 4 games against the Bucks was the most selfish NBA player I have ever seen.
His shooting was awful.

Seriously... it was horses&#&&$ basketball

The kind I hate the most

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
His shooting was awful.

Kyrie is not a great leader. To his credit, he tried. He also advocated for the team to add veterans to the locker room. That can be addressed.

Why would we want him back? Because he is one of the best players in the world, and he has already been the co-star on a championship team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Straw man. The title says realistic, not likely.

I guess "realistic" has a different connotation for you than it does for me.

The Celts trading for AD on draft night and then re-signing Kyrie to a long term deal is certainly possible. 

At least insofar as both of those things are allowed under the CBA and the Celts have expressed interest in attempting to both of those things.

If I had to put a likelihood on both of those things occurring, I'd place it at 10-20%.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Irving/Smart/Clemons
Brown/Moore/Massinburg
Hayward/Morris/Semi
Tatum/Theis/Bassey
Davis/Baynes/Williams

I would love 2 Tatums too, one to trade and 1 to keep! DA a true wizard!!
Its a habit putting in Tatum all the time lol. I edited it.

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Where were you? You are late with your Irving excuses

You know who else passed ... Rondo (cbs era)

But its not the kind of passing that energizes the team.

If you dont get this...rewatch tape

Watch how the Bucks play. They dont have one guy dominating/pounding the ball and instead pass to the open man. Ride the hot hand. Then this feeds into team energy on defense. Good or bad, they dont get off this system

Thats how you win

When things were tight or Celts were behind... you needed a special tool to pry the ball of Irving...

Dude. The Bucks offense is basically give the ball to Giannis and let him attack the paint while surrounding him with shooters. They work in some off ball action and cutting, and mix in some midrange stuff for Middleton, but their offense works because Giannis is the center of what they do and guys buy into their roles around him.

And btw, Boston averaged about 10 more passes per game than Milwaukee did for the season.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:05:42 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I agree on the assist numbers. At the same time, the weird thing I saw with the eye test is that the team often fell into long funks where guys were standing around - no off-ball action and quick jump shots.  Not sure how to square that.

Adding someone like Davis - meaning, someone on Kyrie's level offensively - probably solves that. Davis wouldn't be standing around, he'd definitely be more involved and it clarifies the roles of the other 3 guys on the floor with them.

Kyrie's on-court production this last year was fantastic. A very efficient 24-7-5 with solid defense. I'd love to see that again. It's the off court/locker room stuff that was a concern.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Adding someone like Davis - meaning, someone on Kyrie's level offensively - probably solves that. Davis wouldn't be standing around, he'd definitely be more involved and it clarifies the roles of the other 3 guys on the floor with them.

Kyrie's on-court production this last year was fantastic. A very efficient 24-7-5 with solid defense. I'd love to see that again. It's the off court/locker room stuff that was a concern.

Or - and this is one of my biggest criticisms of Brad Stevens this season - we run less of the "read & react" offense and run something with more structure. Maybe institute some Princeton offense which is pretty heavy in off ball movement, picks, and back door cuts.
2021 Houston Rockets