Author Topic: Eurobasket 2009  (Read 29901 times)

Re: Eurobasket 2009
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Sorry Edgar can`t help.

Greece Croatia 24-15 at the begining of the second q.
Funny game ... Greece has only one real SF and Croatia has no real PF :D

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i hope nbatv picks it up as it is a great tourney to watch and helps give hoop fans a "fix" during the offseason. 

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
France qualifies for the second round!

[dang], once again they played ugly in the first half (I mean... 3 points in the second quarter, 16 overall at halftime... yeah... ::)) but woke up in the end, once again thanks (partly) to Tony Parker.

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Very good game by Slovenia today. Serbia didn`t stand a chance. I am looking forward to the game against Spain tomorrow...

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Again i didn`t watch Slovenia ....  :(
But i watched big part of Spain`s game. Once again they were very bad. They were lucky to win UK (!!!!) partly cause they had great % from downtown and partly cause of the refs` "respect". I can`t understand why Scarriolo insists on Gasol P. The guy has just come off a surgery and clearly can`t play well. It`s not like they don`t have other players

Greece had an easy game against Croatia. The upset of the day was Skopje winning Israel at the 3rd position final.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Again i didn`t watch Slovenia ....  :(
But i watched big part of Spain`s game. Once again they were very bad. They were lucky to win UK (!!!!) partly cause they had great % from downtown and partly cause of the refs` "respect". I can`t understand why Scarriolo insists on Gasol P. The guy has just come off a surgery and clearly can`t play well. It`s not like they don`t have other players

Greece had an easy game against Croatia. The upset of the day was Skopje winning Israel at the 3rd position final.
More minutes for Pau! Maybe he can be this year's Ginobili in the NBA!

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:44 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Spain won  :D but they are really playing badly. I hope they beat Slovenia today and leave a better impression for the next round.

Happy to see Poland win again too :)

Congrats to France and Greece fans! ;)

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 03:35:22 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
Well, it is a long tournament. I think it is better to start out slow and gain form during the championships, that is why Spain is still the big favourite, IMO.

I haven`t seen Poland yet but they seem to have a great starting 5. Of course, playing at home helps them immensely, but I don`t see them making the semi finals that would really be a huge upset. They have a good starting 5 but lack depth...

What bothers me is that there is a huge quality difference between groups. A and B are really poor whereas C and D are much more competitive...

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 04:19:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Well, it is a long tournament. I think it is better to start out slow and gain form during the championships, that is why Spain is still the big favourite, IMO.

It`s true but Spain hasn`t start just slow.... They seem completely off. I mean they couldn`t win UK ... U K !!!!!

United Kingdom Basketball Team !!! It looks more like a joke and still gave Spain a very very hard time.

Their roster is the best in the competition but so far they suck! Good players don`t make a good team.

Compared to the Ol. Games team (even the first games) they are 10 times worst

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:44 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
Spain lacks fire after playing together so successfully for the last few years. And they think just showing up for games will be enough to win.

It will be interesting to see how they play against Slovenia. I expect them to be motivated today...

Of course, I am hoping Slovenia wins tonight, I really liked the way we played against Serbia yesterday. After injury to Udrih we lack depth in the back court but it seems we have great chemistry and that is crucial in team sports...

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 06:35:41 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Although we all aknowledge that Spain is the best team (-USA) tha last 4-5 years we must also have in mind that they haven`t won anything! They are not THAT succesfull so imho it`s inexcusable to lack fire and drive to win 

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 06:41:37 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Although we all aknowledge that Spain is the best team (-USA) tha last 4-5 years we must also have in mind that they haven`t won anything! They are not THAT succesfull so imho it`s inexcusable to lack fire and drive to win 

Excuse me?:

-Silver medal at the 2003 FIBA European Championship
-Gold medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship
-Silver medal at the 2007 FIBA European Championship
-Silver medal at the 2008 Olympics

Are you sure that they've won nothing??

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 07:01:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I subconsciously i`ve erased the World Ch. final from  my memory.  ;D ;D

I meant 1st place  but still my "haven`t won anything coment" comment doesn`t look good ....

but regardless i still find
inexcusable to lack fire and drive to win 

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
I subconsciously i`ve erased the World Ch. final from  my memory.  ;D ;D

I meant 1st place  but still my "haven`t won anything coment" comment doesn`t look good ....

but regardless i still find
inexcusable to lack fire and drive to win 

But an achievement such as getting an Olympic Silver Medal shouldn't be seen as "not winning anything"...just my opinion. So all the athletes who get a silver or a bronze in Olympics don't win anything?... I don't understand your point

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:17 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Also I don't think they are arrogant or without like of fire...they are just not playing well, not executing the system, having problems integrating an injured Gasol. There is no chemistry and they need time to get it back. Problem is that in the process they can lose again and get out of the tournament pretty easily, but that's the nature of the championship...we'll see if they manage to find the rhythm or if the rhythm to fly back to Spain finds them first.