Author Topic: Reports of our demise have been GREATLY exaggerated  (Read 2352 times)

Reports of our demise have been GREATLY exaggerated
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I understand that KG missed the last part of last season due to injury, and the team was mysterious about the extent of the injury so there are now trust issues in the fan base.

I understand that since summer 2007 we've been told that our window was short because we built around 30-somethings.

I understand that we just got done watching our arch rivals hoist the championship trophy in our absence.

I understand these things.

But I ALSO understand that Kevin Garnett is arguably the best player of his generation.  That Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are certified Hall of Famers.  And that each are still in their EARLY 30s, younger now than some other historical championship squads (most notably the late-90s Bulls).

I also understand that Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, and Glen Davis are all extremely young championship-tested players that made huge leaps last season. 

I also understand that Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels are pretty huge talent boosts to just add to the team off the bench, and that teamed with House and Davis give us the best bench we've had perhaps since 1986.

This team is **** LOADED.  I am excited about this season in a way I've only ever been twice before...in 2003 when the Wolves added (old) Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell to at least give KG a hint of support, and in 2007 when it finally sunk in that KG, Pierce, and Allen were all on the same team.

I know people are concerned about KG's knee, and I am too, but until I know something for sure the other way I'm expecting Garnett to have his best season in a Celtics' jersey this year.  He's been playing with knee issues (at the very least tendonitis) for several years, and we have confirmed reports that he has been playing with bone spurs for at least a year.  Now, the spurs have been removed.  If the tendon issues really were due to rubbing from the spurs (which, all hyperbole aside, is probably the most likely explanation), and they really have been taken care of surgically...by the end of the year we could be looking at a fully healthy Kevin Garnett for the first time in years. 

A fully healthy KG that, oh by the way, is TICKED that he had to miss out on a legit chance of winning a ring last year.

A fully healthy KG that is ticked and is also, by the way, confident enough to guarantee TWO titles in the next two seasons to his owner.  Which is frankly unprecedented in his history, as far as I know.

Scary.  For everyone that isn't a Celtic. 

Paul Pierce is ticked.  Ray Allen is confident, and playing to show he's worthy of an extension. 

If I lived in Vegas, I would have been putting bits of money on the Celtics to win the title all summer.  Everything is a gamble, but in my mind they are clearly the best team in the league and have the biggest chance to win.  And camp starts tomorrow...I can't WAIT for this season to start.  Let's enjoy this, people.  Coming in and reading another "this team is old, so let's scale back our expectations" or "KG is done, (never mind that he was playing at all-world level just last year)" post every morning around here is getting old quickly.  Even older than our best players.   ;)

Re: Reports of our demise have been GREATLY exaggerated
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't think anything needs to be said, other than... let's get it on.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Sums up how I feel completely. TP.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I like your post! And, to a large extent I agree. Someone in another post said add KG, Daniels, and Rasheed to the team that took Orlando to 7 and what do you have? That is another way of assessing the talent on this team. We have the finesse to play the Lakers, Cavs and even Orlando and also have the players who do the dirty work well in Perk, KG, Rasheed and BBD. This team is stacked, hungry, talented and out to prove a lot. That is a very dangerous combination for the rest of the league.

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
"Let me hear iiiiiiiiiiiit!"

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who's been reporting our demise?  The consensus I've heard from the media at least is that we're a top-tier contender that greatly improved its bench, but how effective KG is coming back will be a huge factor.  Sounds about right to me.

A great first post though, I'm getting really excited for the season to come, this team is gonna be out for blood.  Less than a month to go...

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:57 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
Who's been reporting our demise?  The consensus I've heard from the media at least is that we're a top-tier contender that greatly improved its bench, but how effective KG is coming back will be a huge factor.  Sounds about right to me.

It seems like everywhere I turn, I'm reading/hearing about how old/injured the Cs are. 

Just last night, I read a post on here called "Opinion: KG will miss most of the next season"

Earlier this weekend I saw one called "Our health". 

This morning I read a fan post called "waning-years"

I go over to RealGM, and on the first page of the Celtics board I see "For Cs and Spurs, health and age are still major concerns", and "Let's assume the worst, KG doesn't play this year."

I follow the Daily links from here, and most days there are multiple articles about how the Cs are risky picks due to age and injury.

And again, I understand where the concern might come from.  But to my way of thinking, this team has "we're talking about them 20 years from now" potential.  This is a team that has history potential.  As such, I'm just not feeling so many "the sky is falling" messages when I really think there should be a lot more "holy crap, we're great" messages out there.

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It seems like everywhere I turn, I'm reading/hearing about how old/injured the Cs are. 

Just last night, I read a post on here called "Opinion: KG will miss most of the next season"

Earlier this weekend I saw one called "Our health". 

This morning I read a fan post called "waning-years"

I go over to RealGM, and on the first page of the Celtics board I see "For Cs and Spurs, health and age are still major concerns", and "Let's assume the worst, KG doesn't play this year."

I follow the Daily links from here, and most days there are multiple articles about how the Cs are risky picks due to age and injury.

And again, I understand where the concern might come from.  But to my way of thinking, this team has "we're talking about them 20 years from now" potential.  This is a team that has history potential.  As such, I'm just not feeling so many "the sky is falling" messages when I really think there should be a lot more "holy crap, we're great" messages out there.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  I hope this team can be historically great, but I'd settle for just a run-of-the-mill championship squad :)  I actually think a championship this year will do a lot to secure the '08 team's place in history (seriously, look at how insane of a season that was), but that's a different conversation. 

As for the online stuff, you can find someone online to argue pretty much any idea, no matter how ludicrous.  You've got to remember that these are just simple posters. These are people of the 'Net. The common clay of the New Media. You know - morons.  (TP to 1st one to get the ref)

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think anyone expects us to be doomed.  We'll have a solid team this year.  We were able to take the Magic to 7 games with Glen Davis playing PF... and total garbage backing him up.  That's pretty impressive.

I'm a little worried that Rasheed will be a letdown just like Cassell and Marbury were letdowns.  He might be entirely washed up.  But I gotta figure at the least he'll be PJ Brown type contributor at this point.  And we also have Shelden Williams... so at least we have a few big men to put out there.

The main concern will remain KG.  With him we're a title contender.  Without him we're still probably not getting too far in the playoffs... even with what's left of Sheed.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I think Sheed will be better then expected. He is a backup here and will not have nearly as much expected of him. Knocking down the three and low post D are both things he does well and if we get that from him 20-25 minutes a game that will be huge.

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
That was me who said if we added KG, Sheed and Daniels to this squad...how good would we be. Might it have made a difference against Orlando? Rhetorical...obviously.

Pierce said it best, if healthy, we WILL win #18 and most likely #19. And I don't see these guys as injury prone. None of the older guys have been throughout their careers so I see no reason to think the sky is falling, health wise.

KG's injury, according to him was brewing for "some time", which probably meant a few years. It's fixed now, he's a great athlete. He'll most likely be just fine.

We have the Lakers beat at every position but off guard and our bench is far better.

Perkins > Bynum
KG > Gasol
Pierce > Artest
Ray < Kobe ( But Ray can make this close alot of nights with the right D on Kobe)
Rondo > Fisher

Rasheed > whoever they have at center
Baby > Odom ( I'll take Baby on most nights )
Scal / Walker > Walton
Daniels > Sasha
Eddie = Farmar or edge to Eddie cause he can tend to really go off farily regualarly

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
KG will be walking up to all foes with "I must break you" ala Rocky IV.