Author Topic: Danny and Doc in a brawl?  (Read 4966 times)

Re: Danny and Doc in a brawl?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Rivers got leveled by that pick.

When people complain about rules concerning leaving the bench during an altercation, they should watch that video.

Agreed. However if a player steps onto the court a pace or 2 and then comes to his senses, and turns around; I believe he should not be penalyzed.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That was a great video, TP.  It's kind of a shame that if this happened now, there's be a weeklong media orgy over what kind of indictment this is on sportsmanship/the NBA/society, whereas just 15 years ago everyone just dusted themselves off and had probably gotten over it within a week or so. 

Rivers got leveled by that pick.

When people complain about rules concerning leaving the bench during an altercation, they should watch that video.

Agreed. However if a player steps onto the court a pace or 2 and then comes to his senses, and turns around; I believe he should not be penalyzed.

Yeah, a general "don't leave the bench and escalate things" rule is good, but zero tolerance rules are less about enforcement and more about protecting the league's backside from charges of unequal treatment. 

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 06:00:58 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
The don't leave the bench thing is stupid.  If things ought to be escalated, let them escalate.

As long as fans aren't in physical danger, who cares?

Games were more exciting when players were allowed to be physical.  As I said before a bit of self-regulation might not be a bad thing.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
TP for finding that.

Danny and Doc may have been on opposite sides of the brawl, but Danny's quote the day after was that he'd like to play with Doc:

"It was between K. J. and Doc," Suns guard Danny Ainge said. "You see that type of thing in tense games. Anthony is when it got out of hand. I don't consider the Knicks thugs. The way John Starks and Anthony Mason and Doc Rivers play, I'd love to have them on my team. We have nothing personal. The only thing some have personal -- I know our whole team is not fond of Greg Anthony.

"The other stuff happens. But a guy coming off the bench in street clothes and throwing a cheap shot on the star of our team? I'm told as Anthony was walking off, he said, 'I got him good.' K. J. was so angry with Greg Anthony. He wanted to talk to the official and ask why he'd been ejected for being punched by Greg Anthony and he wanted to go after Greg Anthony. Like I said, I love the way Starks, Mason and Rivers play. But Greg Anthony goes overboard. He's not that good a player, either."

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/25/sports/pro-basketball-suns-biggest-beef-is-over-anthony-s-sucker-punch.html

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I loved watching Danny and Doc play. Two guys who made the most of their physical talent, and had so much fire.

Eddie House has a little bit of them in him.

Yes he does.

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Were they thrown out of the game and suspended for 3 weeks?
Remember the fight between Danny and Tree Rollins, Doc's teammate in Atlanta?