Author Topic: If Dwest is released by the Cavs, do we go try and sign him?  (Read 19726 times)

Re: If Dwest is released by the Cavs, do we go try and sign him?
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The lovefest over the criminal druggie is comical. ::)

And people thought I was crazy for wanting Marbury back (who hadn't done anything illegal, btw).  Talk about a double standard.  Yeah, right.
He's a young man with a serious mental disorder, not a "druggie". Nor has he ever been a jerk publicly like Marbury has for his 10+ years in the NBA

More importantly to the love, he can still ball. Unlike Marbury.

Ya but the gun related charges seriously worry me.  Seems to me that the Celts are trying to keep their noses clean with trouble makers in the eyes of the law, getting rid of marbury, pruit, telfair. 
The guns to me are more an example of his manic behavior. He definitely needs help, but I don't think he should be called a "druggie" or "criminal".

Mental Illness is a serious problem, and it shouldn't be shoved into those categories or stigmatized.

Yeah, this is my issue with signing someone with West.  He clearly has some real mental issues that could certainly haunt him going forward.  Its not a matter of him being a criminal, or making the team look bad.  I would just be genuinely worried that he will just suddenly not show up, or do something crazy.

While I agree with what you said, I still think a player like that is worth a minimum contract.  Delonte has legit talent, he's a hard worker, and he's been a good teammate.  When all a team is risking is an $800k minimum deal, I don't see it as that big of a gamble.

(Of course, he's not getting released / bought out.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's funny becuase if he wasn't all screwed up you'd want him, but its only becuase he's screwed up that we have a chance to get him.

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Better chances: Brotha Redbush being released or the image of Nostradamus appearing in a panini's grill marks outside of Phoenix?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And people thought I was crazy for wanting Marbury back (who hadn't done anything illegal, btw).  Talk about a double standard.  Yeah, right.
He's a young man with a serious mental disorder, not a "druggie". Nor has he ever been a jerk publicly like Marbury has for his 10+ years in the NBA

Ya but the gun related charges seriously worry me.  Seems to me that the Celts are trying to keep their noses clean with trouble makers in the eyes of the law, getting rid of marbury, pruit, telfair. 
The guns to me are more an example of his manic behavior. He definitely needs help, but I don't think he should be called a "druggie" or "criminal".

Mental Illness is a serious problem, and it shouldn't be shoved into those categories or stigmatized.

Yeah, this is my issue with signing someone with West.  He clearly has some real mental issues that could certainly haunt him going forward.  Its not a matter of him being a criminal, or making the team look bad.  I would just be genuinely worried that he will just suddenly not show up, or do something crazy.

While I agree with what you said, I still think a player like that is worth a minimum contract.  Delonte has legit talent, he's a hard worker, and he's been a good teammate.  When all a team is risking is an $800k minimum deal, I don't see it as that big of a gamble.

I agree on both fronts.  First, he is not going anywhere.  But if he were to be cut, then he would be worth the risk (on a minimum type deal).

I was more just trying to make the point of him being a different type of risk than a guy like Telfair or Tony Allen.  I genuinely worry that those guys are wrapped up in gangs and stuff like that.  With West, my bigger worry is that he is suffering from a legit psychological disorder. 

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I agree on both fronts.  First, he is not going anywhere.  But if he were to be cut, then he would be worth the risk (on a minimum type deal).

I was more just trying to make the point of him being a different type of risk than a guy like Telfair or Tony Allen.  I genuinely worry that those guys are wrapped up in gangs and stuff like that.  With West, my bigger worry is that he is suffering from a legit psychological disorder. 

Me too, but maybe we're just saying that becuase he's better than them. Only bad players are in gangs.

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Also, when talking about character, Marquis Daniels' name has to be brought up.  He had some trouble with the law in Indiana, including being in a bar fight that also involved Jamaal Tinsley.  Also, this is one of the guy's tattoos:

Not exactly the picture that Danny probably wants associated with the Celtics.  However, talent trumps.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

He is bipolar correct?  First of all, although it's a mental disorder, I wouldn't exactly call it a serious mental illness.  It's a mood disorder.  You guys are acting like he's a schizophrenic.  Second of all, some cases are worse than others, and there's plenty of people who can live with it no problem.

It's possible he could become delusional, have hallucinations, turn psychotic, or become suicidal, but if he was really at that level of the spectrum, he probably wouldn't be under contract.  Plus there's a good chance, that if that did happen, he would catch it in time and get the help that he needs.  There's plenty of medications that people find very helpful.

And although it could've been a manic episode that caused him to strap 3 guns on him, it's very possible that it was something completely different.  We should get all the facts before we start jumping to the conclusion that Delonte is crazy, and is too unstable to play on our perfect team.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2009, 04:27:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He is bipolar correct?  First of all, although it's a mental disorder, I wouldn't exactly call it a serious mental illness.  It's a mood disorder.  You guys are acting like he's a schizophrenic.  Second of all, some cases are worse than others, and there's plenty of people who can live with it no problem.
Being bipolar is certainly a serious thing. Can it be managed? Yes, but its very difficult and some cases are more extreme than others.

I have two friends with the condition and I they certainly define it as serious.

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Being bipolar is certainly a serious thing. Can it be managed? Yes, but its very difficult and some cases are more extreme than others.

I have two friends with the condition and I they certainly define it as serious.
I have it as well, and I know it's serious.  I however, don't have much trouble controlling it.  I know several people who have it and are completely normal.
Philly:

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It's possible he could become delusional, have hallucinations, turn psychotic, or become suicidal, but if he was really at that level of the spectrum, he probably wouldn't be under contract.  Plus there's a good chance, that if that did happen, he would catch it in time and get the help that he needs.  There's plenty of medications that people find very helpful.

And although it could've been a manic episode that caused him to strap 3 guns on him, it's very possible that it was something completely different.  We should get all the facts before we start jumping to the conclusion that Delonte is crazy, and is too unstable to play on our perfect team.

Last year he missed a portion of training camp due to this mood disorder.  

Mood disorders or Neurosis like Bipolar can absolutely affect one's life just as significantly as psychosis like schizophrenia.  

I never came close to saying he is "too crazy to play on our team", I just said that his disorder is a huge red flag, which would make it difficult to make too much of a commitment to him.  It is very similar to Vin Baker's alcoholism.  It may not prevent him from being part of the real world, but it certainly has the potential to make him unreliable to a team paying him millions.

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Last year he missed a portion of training camp due to this mood disorder.  

Mood disorders or Neurosis like Bipolar can absolutely affect one's life just as significantly as psychosis like schizophrenia.  

I never came close to saying he is "too crazy to play on our team", I just said that his disorder is a huge red flag, which would make it difficult to make too much of a commitment to him.  It is very similar to Vin Baker's alcoholism.  It may not prevent him from being part of the real world, but it certainly has the potential to make him unreliable to a team paying him millions.
For me, I make the commitment to help the guy out on a personal level first if he gets released. This to me would mena he seriously needs help, even if it is only for a short while to get his life back on track. He was a part of this organization and left on good terms. If he is no longer able to function as a basketball player, then we dont make a big salary commitment. We dont make a business financial commitment in any case until we further evaluate his condition.

I would bet money that Danny and most likely Doc knew a little something about this condition when he as a Celtic. They just dont pop up over nite, although some people do sucessfully hide them from employers for a while.

Again speculation, but I believe he was managing it sucessfully with medication. I have heard that medication for certain types of mental illness can make a person feel 'normal' and in fact they stop taking it, thinking they are cured so to speak. Maybe some one can clarify that for me...?

"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I have it as well, and I know it's serious.  I however, don't have much trouble controlling it.  I know several people who have it and are completely normal.
Then you and your friends are disciplined, and also lucky.

My two friends struggle with it. It is certainly a serious mental illness.

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
So Marbury would be worth the gamble too, right?  He's only crazy, not dangerous, neither is he a criminal.

Let's hear the excuses as to why you would take a chance on West and not Marbury.  Remember, Marbury would be only a one year deal, not several years for millions of dollars.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

For some, absolutely.  My point was if he's well enough to play basketball, it is likely he does not suffer from the disorder as seriously as others do.  As billysan said, these things don't pop up overnight.

I thought this topic was based on the hypothetical situation in which the Cavs release him due to legal problems.  If Delonte was so mentally unstable that the Cavs just didn't want him, I don't know why anyone would pick him up.
Philly:

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2009, 07:35:19 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

For some, absolutely.  My point was if he's well enough to play basketball, it is likely he does not suffer from the disorder as seriously as others do.  As billysan said, these things don't pop up overnight.

I thought this topic was based on the hypothetical situation in which the Cavs release him due to legal problems.  If Delonte was so mentally unstable that the Cavs just didn't want him, I don't know why anyone would pick him up.

I know

1) they can be using it as an excuse( to give parker another player I love time and chance as SG)

2) I love the guy and want him on my team
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!