Poll

Given what each would cost, and their respective ages/contracts, who would you want?

Andre Drummond
8 (8.3%)
Myles Turner
20 (20.8%)
Clint Capela
4 (4.2%)
Marc Gasol
4 (4.2%)
Hassan Whiteside
1 (1%)
Jusuf Nurkic
6 (6.3%)
Cody Zeller
4 (4.2%)
Derrick Favors
6 (6.3%)
Steven Adams
11 (11.5%)
A Young Guy
0 (0%)
Dwayne Dedmon
5 (5.2%)
Ehhh, none  are worth what it would cost
27 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Big Man Options  (Read 71458 times)

Re: Big Man Options
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think we've all gone up and down the teams in the NBA, wondering about the right fit for this team.

As currently constructed, I don't think a single name mentioned makes sense for this team. We don't have similar contracts invested in similar talent level to make the trades fair. We are either giving up way too much, or the players we want have too high of salary.

If a player was bought out, it might make sense to pick them up (Gasol, Whiteside, etc.), but I don't see another fit for a trade whatsoever, except ...

One player that is not on the list and I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread.

The only player that makes sense to me is Karl Anthony-Towns. I think a package of Smart-Tatum-Theis-Memphis 1st gets the value in the ballpark of what Minny would be looking for (although they may want more). At this point, there is no evidence whatsoever that Towns is trying to get out, and there's no reason the Wolves would trade him unless things blow up.

Given that he is the most likely possibility I see, it seems pretty clear that the Cs will focus on internal development. Williams, Williams, Tatum, and Brown will need to be able to hold their own, or they won't. I don't see Danny making a trade he loses just to sure up an area of weakness right now, especially if the player is only marginally better than our young bigs that are sill developing (ie Dedmon, etc.).

I think Towns is likely a target for Ainge -- a few years down the road.  I don't think it's likely that the Wolves will look to trade him anytime soon.

I agree though that Towns is the most obvious next big name that the Celts might try to get in on.  I suspect that once it  became clear the Celts weren't getting AD, Danny started thinking about the next superstar talent that could eventually be available, and Towns is the most obvious answer (unless you think Giannis will leave Milwaukee in 2021).

Question is whether they will have the assets to go after Towns if and when he does become available, or if they'll have to try to chase him in free agency.

Towns has five years left on his deal (including this year). I know player movement is big, but who was the last superstar traded with more than two years left? The reason he's not on the thread is because I was focused on guys I thought might actually be moved.

I agree with the second point, the real answer might be internal development. Maybe Robert Williams can be a starter by years end.

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 06:47:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This is becoming a real Achilles heel for Danny Ainge.

I mean, what is this, the 6th or 7th straight year with a limited frontcourt?? Horford and Baynes were great for us over the last few years, but behind them we got nothing for depth (besides guys like Theis who are more PFs though). Even Horford honestly isn't your "traditional" center, although that's another discussion. So if one guy got hurt, our front court was pretty much screwed.

We also toiled through the years of post KG + Perkins with Sully/Zeller/Amir/Olynyk (ugh).

Even this season, while I like Kanter and hope Timelord does well, this front court was limited in depth going into the season and we all knew it. Now just 1 game in and Kanter's apparently hurt too.

Will Danny do anything about it, or will it just be, "screw rebounding, we love smallball and defense!"

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:53:29 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
We might be best served throwing Timelord into the fire and just seeing if he can improve.

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
How about...Deandre Jordan? Idk the news about that guy but he comes off the bench for the Nets now
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
How about...Deandre Jordan? Idk the news about that guy but he comes off the bench for the Nets now

He wanted to play with Durant and Kyrie

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Still cant understand why Ainge drafted 3 guards and a undersized PF instead getting at least 2 legit big men..there was some available..but Ainge loves those guards
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

What you guys think Tristan Thompson in Green?
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I still think the Celts need an upgrade at the PF or C position.

With Jaylen getting an extension, the Celts can no longer afford guys like Kevin Love and Blake Griffin.

One big man I think can help the Celts and the Celts can afford is Tristan Thompson.

Thompson would really help the Celts in the paint.

Guys like Wanamaker, Poirier, Kanter, and Theis can be traded December or January.
Celts can even include Langford now that the Celts locked up Brown long term.

Making a trade for Thompson also gives the Celts cap relief as Thompson has an expiring contract.

I think Thompson would be an upgrade.

What you guys think?

Re: What you guys think Tristan Thompson in Green?
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 08:01:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Big contract. Can you match his salary without losing any of our top players?

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not a fan of Tristan Kardasian, but if Ainge can get him without giving up too much, then I'm fine b/c he brings what they need now.  However, I definitely would hold on to Langford who hasn't played one NBA game yet.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Yeah that is the problem.  I mean if you included Theis, Kanter, and Langford you would get somewhat close, but I'm not sure what the point in that would be as you would optimally add Thompson to the front court, not deplete the front court even more to acquire him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Yeah that is the problem.  I mean if you included Theis, Kanter, and Langford you would get somewhat close, but I'm not sure what the point in that would be as you would optimally add Thompson to the front court, not deplete the front court even more to acquire him.

Even though Fierce1 said trade, he's an expiring, so maybe he'll be a buyout candidate and C's can pick him up that way.

Then the question becomes does Boston became the preferred destination? They have the minutes to offer, while most contenders seem pretty set at center now (of course a lot of time for injuries to happen that would open up playing time on other teams).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I haven’t watched Tristan play much the last couple of seasons.

How well has he been defending of late, Moranis?

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I think it's worth it if the Celts end up keeping Rob Williams.

Thompson, RWill, and GWill will be enough heading into the playoffs.

Celts can then add another veteran big man for the minimum once buyout season starts.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bron liked him ,  so there is that

most likey be a faker

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hate it, dude is a punk.