Author Topic: Cassell and Celtics Rotations  (Read 4481 times)

Re: Cassell and Celtics Rotations
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics need to find the guy being guarded by the smaller PG and take advantage of that.
OTOH, when Kobe is guarding Cassell, he's not guarding Ray Allen or Pierce. That's called 'taking advantage' in my book.

But they didn't go to that guy. 

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I can't stand Sam Cassell. I have posted that many times nefore on this blog, but saying that, I thought he was useful in the 1st half last night. He hit some shots, but his defense kills us on the other end. Seriously, can anyone else not see that?  I didn't think he was useful AT ALL in the second half and I would have preferred to have seen Eddie House. The offense sags when he is in there and stalls out. He shoots to much. I would prefer to see Eddie in there. Although he cannot dribble as well, he knows his place. He shoots well, and moves the ball quickly and gets players into the offense. He is an emotional barometer of the team and hustles well. It's time to have Eddie in there.

On KGs minutes, He missed nine shots in a row in the second half before his tomahawk putback. I would have said he needed a little more rest or something because he was short on most of his jumpshots.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
The shot isn't "forced" - have you watched Cassell at all his whole career???
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Cassell is in there because he is the one with final's experience.

The problem was, once Cassell established himself as a low post threat agaist the Laker's PGs, they put Kobe on him.

Celtics need to find the guy being guarded by the smaller PG and take advantage of that.

If they don't, they might as well play House.

Your first sentence basically summed it up.  Experience matter a lot.  Now, I'm not fond of Sam's style of holding on to the ball with the primary intent of setting himself up for a shot.  However, keep in mind that he knows Fisher very well, having played with him for many years.  So, he probably knew that he could shoot over Fisher.  I won't second-guess him on that.  However, he did force a couple of ill-advised shots.  on the other hand, it was only the first half and whatever happens would not be conclusive.  That's a veteran for you.  And PJ was just great.

I can see why Doc played Cassell instead of House in that situation.  I can also see why PJ got his minutes.  Heck, even Powe acquitted himself well while he was in.  There was one play where I thought Powe, during a rotation, should have stuck to Gasol better.  But then again, Posey and Sam had their defensive lapses too.  Doc's substitution was good last night.