Author Topic: Torn Mensiscus (sp?) Pierce unsure about Game 2?  (Read 10350 times)

Re: Torn Mensiscus (sp?) Pierce unsure about Game 2?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 04:40:04 AM »

Offline rmcc4444

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
It's funny, I had almost the exact same injury about 3 weeks ago playing in my weekly pickup basketball game. I planted funny and turned and I heard my knee pop. Scared the crap out of me. It hurt, but not so bad that I stopped playing. So, yeah, I think I have a pretty good idea how it feels to play after popping the knee like that - it hurts a little, but doesn't really limit your effectiveness.

However, after cooling down and sleeping on it, my knee got significantly worse the next day. In my case it was the MCL which left my knee a little unstable. If not for the instability, I'll bet I could have toughed it out if I had to play a game 3 days later. That said, it's taken almost 3 weeks for my knee to get better.

I realize my injury isn't his injury, but my experience makes me think he'll definitely play on Sunday. He'll have a full staff of professional trainers working on him - I had a bag of frozen peas. He'll have the best athletic knee brace/support money can buy - I had nothing. I'm as nervous as everyone else, but my experience gives me hope. But he's going to have to gut it out for the rest of the series - he won't be pain free.

Pierce is the freaking MAN!

good post. if he has what you had, at least he'll have access to medicine that i'm assuming you didn't.  i don't think a doc would shoot you up with anything so you could play in a game, rather, he probably wanted you to rest. 

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 05:00:33 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
... with treatment, he should be fine.
1 down... 3 to go...BEAT LA

you're sig rules!!!

thanks, bud

I agree.  I read the article about that years ago (just after Fight Club the movie came out I think), and I've been hooked on the idea ever since.  It cracks me up.  I wonder if Palahniuk has ever commented on it.

Anyway, I wonder if we're looking at a Keith Foulke in '04 type situation.  If he continues to play, is it going to affect (geez, I really hope that's the right one) the rest of his career?

Phil Jackson definitely wasn't impressed, though.

“You know, you don’t know what happens,” said Jackson. “Guys can break a shoelace and go out. The pants break down. Drawstring falls apart. You don't know what happens to guys. Pierce was back on the floor in three minutes, so he wasn’t that long out of the game."
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 07:07:13 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Jackson sure acts like a smug jerk. It's too bad I think Pierce is really hurt and it's a huge break for the Lakers.

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:58 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I heard sprain, it'll be sore as can be for him the series but he can play.  If its a tear depends on how bad, I played 3/4 of a season with a tear..hurt and everyone now and then a flap got stuck and REALLY hurt.
It is great to see some athletes play through injuries unlike some baseball players minor things.
Here's my pep talk to Pierce (if he needs one)
you can rest up the knee after #17!!

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 07:39:31 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
A sprain technically is a slight tear.

Hope our board guys stay on top of this. I fear this still has the potential to be a problem for Pierce down the road.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I partially tore my ACL then fully tore it a few days later.  When I partially tore it there was NO way I could have played on it.  I repeat NO WAY!!!

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
When my meniscus tore I heard a pop. I played ball for about a month, hearing pops here and there, until I could not go anymore. Usually with ice and rest, I'd be ok in about 7 days. If Paul's is tore, he'll have enough world class medical treatment to get through this series.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Hell..if Paul Pierce can limp...favor one foot....hop on one foot..he will play...never doubt the heart of a true champion..he will play..no matter what...take that to the Celtics Bank....

That's true. He would've probably sat in the regular season, but I'm pretty positive he will play in Game 2 and that this injury won't affect his performance. He was able to come back and hit big shots. Mr. Pig Shot, for instance, couldn't come back after his injury, and missed two games.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 08:32:48 AM by P2 »

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »

Offline Shamrock

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I have been looking around other sites, Laker fans are accusing Pierce of faking it.

Apparently, that's what callers in LA are saying as well.

I don't know what is funnier, this or blaming the refs.

I am very worried about Paul Pierce because he is the last guy to fake anything.  He is a warrior.  He takes a beating every night and never whines or complains.  He plays through injuries that many could not handle.  The only time I remember him missing a game for an injury is last season when the season was over and it worked to our benefit to the team to protect him from any further injury and to improve our draft lottery. 

Hate to say it, but even a strain of the menisci can be a lengthy healing process, as there is very little blood circulation to that tissue, and it is prone to re-injury. (More info in my post below). From the symptoms he exhibited tonight, I'd guess it was only a strain, or even more likely, (and more hopeful), just a contusion of the knee.

I have a question Bahku - would you hear a pop if it is just a contusion of the knee?  I hope so.  I'm praying for it to be a contusion.

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:53 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I have a question Bahku - would you hear a pop if it is just a contusion of the knee?  I hope so.  I'm praying for it to be a contusion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a 'pop' could just be air compression caused by the joint absorbing an impact.

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Paul will play. It will limit his range of motion in his knee and his jumping ability but once you get it loosened up and warmed up a bit, this injury really isn't that bad.  I had the same injury this past season, of course I don't really know to what extent he hurt it and I am not 6'7 250 but I was able to play and play effectively while injured.  It took about 2 months for me to get to %100 with little treatment.  But he has all summer after the series is over, I expect Paul will play every game of this series hurt.

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
One good thing about playing the Lakers is that we can hide Paul on defense by letting him guard Rakmonvich or another Jump Shooter.  It is my thought this injury will effect his defense more than his offense and the Lakers have a number of players that our not penatrators. 

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I have been looking around other sites, Laker fans are accusing Pierce of faking it.

Apparently, that's what callers in LA are saying as well.

I don't know what is funnier, this or blaming the refs.

I am very worried about Paul Pierce because he is the last guy to fake anything.  He is a warrior.  He takes a beating every night and never whines or complains.  He plays through injuries that many could not handle.  The only time I remember him missing a game for an injury is last season when the season was over and it worked to our benefit to the team to protect him from any further injury and to improve our draft lottery. 

Hate to say it, but even a strain of the menisci can be a lengthy healing process, as there is very little blood circulation to that tissue, and it is prone to re-injury. (More info in my post below). From the symptoms he exhibited tonight, I'd guess it was only a strain, or even more likely, (and more hopeful), just a contusion of the knee.

The "pop" he heard is most likely the separation of the two bones, (femur and tibia, the fibula is attached by cartilege on the side of the knee), and the soft tissues attached, (articular cartilege and the two menisci), as this creates an "air pocket" and a poping sound.

It could also be the rebound of the lateral ligaments pulling the bones back together after the separation, or the patella being moved, (knee cap). There's often a popping sound as well when any of the many soft connective tissues in the knee joint let go and snap, such as the ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL, and articular cartilege.

This sound could also be produced by the fibula twisting away from the knee joint, or the snapping of the lateral collateral ligament, which attaches the fibula to the side of the knee-joint and femur.

Hope this helps.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *