Author Topic: Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA  (Read 2393 times)

Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA
« on: April 17, 2024, 01:21:23 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
Raptors' Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA for violating league's gaming rules.

Yes, that Jontay Porter... you know the famous one that everyone knows and cares about.

Re: Jontay Porter has received a lifetime ban from the NBA
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 01:42:16 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The house always wins. You can fool every human but the cold, dispassionate algorithm will catch you every time.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
did it confirm it is a lifetime ban?

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
kind of ridiculous this kind of thing gets a lifetime ban when other legal troubles do not

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 03:13:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3180
kind of ridiculous this kind of thing gets a lifetime ban when other legal troubles do not

If the NBA is going all in on gambling then they need to have a lifetime ban for any infraction. This won't be the last time this happens. Their is too much money to be made!

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 03:39:29 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah. good thing their billions are safe. i was really worried there for a second.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 03:44:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
yeah. good thing their billions are safe. i was really worried there for a second.

To me it's more about the integrity of the game.  If a player is going to take himself out of games to help gamblers win prop bets, then he's potentially affecting the outcome.  Sure, a two-way player usually won't see much run so the affect is probably small, but you need a rule to discourage anybody from crossing this line.  Fake injuries, point shaving, intentionally missing shots, throwing games...  they're all in the same realm.

I'm curious how the NBA will handle the inevitable case of NBA players betting on their own team (or worse, against their own team).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 03:49:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

To me it's more about the integrity of the game.  If a player is going to take himself out of games to help gamblers win prop bets, then he's potentially affecting the outcome.  Sure, a two-way player usually won't see much run so the affect is probably small, but you need a rule to discourage anybody from crossing this line.  Fake injuries, point shaving, intentionally missing shots, throwing games...  they're all in the same realm.

I'm curious how the NBA will handle the inevitable case of NBA players betting on their own team (or worse, against their own team).

Well betting against your team is easy, but on your own team is grayer.... if it's straight win, no point spread I got no problem, but once you introduce point spreads things become murkier and lends itself to manipulation.

But I'm no expert on gambling.

There's also the angle of you betting then angling for outside help.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 05:53:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3180

Well betting against your team is easy, but on your own team is grayer.... if it's straight win, no point spread I got no problem, but once you introduce point spreads things become murkier and lends itself to manipulation.

But I'm no expert on gambling.

There's also the angle of you betting then angling for outside help.

If a player or anyone else in the NBA including refs, staff, etc bets on NBA games they should be banned for life. How many championships are tainted by Tim Donaghy and friends? Scott Foster gave the Lakers a boost last night! 29-15 in free throws...

“We're one of the teams that dominates the paint night in and night out, we have a physical force in Zion... It just seems like we're not getting those calls.”

- Willie Green on the Lakers taking 14 more free throws than NOLA

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/scott-foster-lakers-pelicans-nba-play-in/631730

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 06:00:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

It should be noted that Porter also bet against the Raptors, albeit on games while he was in the G-League.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 06:59:26 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
So when will they investigate refs betting on games? I'm pretty sure Tim Donaghy isn't the only one involve with those  ::)

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 11:13:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380

This was my thought too. The NBA will accept wife beaters, drink drivers and other players of social ill repute but it won't abide anything that calls the integrity of the games into question, like what Porter did here:

It alleged that he "disclosed confidential information" about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor" before a March 20 game.

Porter claimed to suffer from an illness during the game and played only three minutes, the league said.

An $80,000 online bet that he would underperform was placed ahead of the March 20 game, which would have paid out $1.1 million. The conspicuously large amount led to the wager's being "frozen" and "not paid out," the NBA said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jontay-porter-banned-nba-gambling-games-giving-info-bettors-limiting-p-rcna148227

Once people get the idea that gambling syndicates can get to players and get them to influence games, throw games, that's the end of the league's credibility as a competitive sport. And yes that counts for refs as well.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 12:18:23 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

This was my thought too. The NBA will accept wife beaters, drink drivers and other players of social ill repute but it won't abide anything that calls the integrity of the games into question, like what Porter did here:

It alleged that he "disclosed confidential information" about his own health status to an individual he knew to be an NBA bettor" before a March 20 game.

Porter claimed to suffer from an illness during the game and played only three minutes, the league said.

An $80,000 online bet that he would underperform was placed ahead of the March 20 game, which would have paid out $1.1 million. The conspicuously large amount led to the wager's being "frozen" and "not paid out," the NBA said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jontay-porter-banned-nba-gambling-games-giving-info-bettors-limiting-p-rcna148227

Once people get the idea that gambling syndicates can get to players and get them to influence games, throw games, that's the end of the league's credibility as a competitive sport. And yes that counts for refs as well.

People are gonna think I’m crazy but the guy that places the bet should be able to sue and win. Draft kings and fan duel set lines based off injury information all the time before the average person has access to it. If you follow this stuff you can be like “oh man they only think Embid will score 27 tonight instead of 30 let’s bet that!.” Then an hour later it comes out he is on a minutes restriction or has a stomach bug. They gladly take all that money. This guy has the same advantage and they don’t pay him. Don’t get how that is legal.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2024, 01:44:46 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
This reeks of sacrificial lamb to send a message. Total hunch

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2024, 07:57:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This reeks of sacrificial lamb to send a message. Total hunch

I don't know about sacrificial lamb, since lambs are innocent, right?  But, I do think the league is happy that the first time this happened it was a two-way player.  They get to set a precedent that nobody will object to.  Now, if it happens with a rotation player, or even a star, they can point to that precedent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes