Author Topic: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...  (Read 75951 times)

Re: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Are people really not able to ignore comments that 'could' be considered offensive but aren't to the majority of America?  Do these same people flip out over movies that use politically incorrect terms or do they just not watch those movies?  I mean isn't CelticsBlog really just a form of entertainment?  If a particular mild term used in a post isn't your cup of tea, just move on to the next one.  As long as there's no offensive intent I don't really see the problem.

I know we don't exactly have free will here but do we really have to check every thing we say to see if it can possibly be construed as hurtful to anybody on the planent?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Now I need to watch the ****' movie... 

« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
As a former record store owner and lifelong Jew I have, on more than one occasion, been confronted by a person suggesting that I not try to "Jew them down" on the price of their items they wished me to purchase.  I took great pleasure in letting them know that I am Jewish, and while I choose to not be offended by that line, some might, so they should perhaps not use it so freely.

My suggestion on political correctness is to hold up a mirror to the alleged offender, point out that some might find it offensive, then move on.  I always liked to "consider the source" in these circumstances.   
Yup

« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2011, 05:04:44 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Are people really not able to ignore comments that 'could' be considered offensive but aren't to the majority of America?  Do these same people flip out over movies that use politically incorrect terms or do they just not watch those movies?  I mean isn't CelticsBlog really just a form of entertainment?  If a particular mild term used in a post isn't your cup of tea, just move on to the next one.  As long as there's no offensive intent I don't really see the problem.

I know we don't exactly have free will here but do we really have to check every thing we say to see if it can possibly be construed as hurtful to anybody on the planent?

I'd love to see the reaction by some to any Mel Brooks movie.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #229 on: May 09, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I'd love to see the reaction by some to any Mel Brooks movie.

OK, we'll let the Irish in...
Yup

« Reply #230 on: May 09, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Let me answer this question with a question of my own:  Out of your approximately 2,500 comments, how many have been edited? 

I'd say that most people are able to express themselves without a whole lot of worry about censorship.  Stay away from personal attacks or stereotypes, and you'll be fine.  We don't go out of our way to find offense, but at the same time, if somebody blatantly and repeatedly stereotypes a gender, race, etc., then yeah, we're going to edit / lock / delete your thread, at a minimum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595

Let me answer this question with a question of my own:  Out of your approximately 2,500 comments, how many have been edited? 

I'd say that most people are able to express themselves without a whole lot of worry about censorship.  Stay away from personal attacks or stereotypes, and you'll be fine.  We don't go out of our way to find offense, but at the same time, if somebody blatantly and repeatedly stereotypes a gender, race, etc., then yeah, we're going to edit / lock / delete your thread, at a minimum.

Lawyer stereotypes are the only exception to these above rules ;D
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Why did you use "stars" to cross out the bad word I wrote? There are stars on the American flag and I think we should respect the flag and the free speech it stands for. Why are you dis-respecting the flag?

Can you please use black dots next time instead. Hang on, I didn't mean to say black, they could also be white dots but I just think white dots would be harder to see on this gray background. And in using "dots" to negate the word, I'm not saying that all dots are negative in their ability. Some dots are positive. For example, "Pink Dot" is a great little delivery service for just about anything when you're hammered in the wee hours of the night. Please note that when I say "wee hours" I don't mean to say that the hours between midnight and 6am are any less significant than the rest of the hours in the day. All hours are equally significant all 24 hours of them are going to get a trophy from me.  

« Reply #233 on: May 09, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why did you use "stars" to cross out the bad word I wrote? There are stars on the American flag and I think we should respect the flag and the free speech it stands for. Why are you dis-respecting the flag?

Can you please use black dots next time instead. Hang on, I didn't mean to say black, they could also be white dots but I just think white dots would be harder to see on this gray background. And in using "dots" to negate the word, I'm not saying that all dots are negative in their ability. Some dots are positive. For example, "Pink Dot" is a great little delivery service for just about anything when you're hammered in the wee hours of the night. Please note that when I say "wee hours" I don't mean to say that the hours between midnight and 6am are any less significant than the rest of the hours in the day. All hours are equally significant all 24 hours of them are going to get a trophy from me.  
I think this might be an attempt at humor but it also might come off as mocking to those that disagree with your view of things Scooby.

« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Hi Roy, I think everyone respects the rules of the blog here. You won't find me writing another 50/50 post as far as it's ability to possibly offend someone as I've gotten the picture re this site and I am 100% fine with that.

I think what angryguy is talkgin about is a general statement about PC outside of this blog.

I actually think most of the comments at this point are in that lane.

Correct me if I'm wrong AG77.

The bottom line is that the site is an excellent one. It's also a business and should be respected.

The broader debate, as it applies outside of this board, IMHO, is very interesting indeed.

« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Point taken Nickagenta. Funny thing is I was going to preface it by saying this is meant as total sarcasm and not serious but someone mentioned earlier that prefacing it and then saying something makes it passive aggressive so I left it alone and just hoped people could understand the intent.

If anyone takes it as mocking them please don't. It is really more about just having some fun with words and have a laugh at their expense 9 the word's expense...) 

« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, this discussion is pretty much kicked.  Disappointing, that rather than have a discussion, people have to resort to nonsensical analogies about the word cheap, the use of stars, etc.  I know people will say it's "humor", but what I see is a sarcastic and unpersuasive argument.

================================================================

And yes, AG, lawyer jokes are pretty much always okay. ;)

EDIT:  I just saw your post above, Scooby.  I appreciate what you were going for, but as noted, I don't find the sarcasm persuasive, especially after it comes on the heals of the ill-thought-out "cheap = anti-Jewish" argument.  I hate seeing a discussion devolve into hyperbolic sarcasm.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:49:08 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thread's still goin strong huh? Cool.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Thread's still goin strong huh? Cool.

One of the mods should lock this so they can stop wasting their precious time on this idiocy.

Obey the freaking rules or get the hell out.  How hard is that? 

« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Most of the time I stay away from personal attacks unless I've been attacked first, but if we're talking about unintentionally offensive, mild stereotypes such as "playing like a girl" then I actually might slip up and post one of those.  If I used that exact one then I would just be expressing my opinion, and I would assume that's it's such a stupid stereotype no one would take offense.  For example if I said "Sasha Vujacic plays like a girl" and then you compare him to Diani Taurasi, that would be a huge compliment for him.

I have full faith that you mods can tell the difference between a stereotype that's innocent and one that was used intentionally in an attempt to offend somebody.  In the latter case that's why we have a report button.  However if it was the former and someone really took offense to it I'd hope they'd have enough sense to just ignore it.  If I personally was disciplined for calling Vujacic a girl I'd be a tad bit confused.

When it comes to something that offends you but clearly not the majority of people, just report and let the mods debate how offensive the intent truly is.  No need for 15 pages of discussion over something that doesn't make 99% of people think twice when reading it.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale