Author Topic: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...  (Read 75936 times)

Re: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

I am sure I could find an African American out there that wouldn't care if a Caucasian called them the "n" would but it still wouldn't mean that it was right to do so or that the Caucasian person wasn't using a racial slur.

i'd like to be with you while you walkin round askin black people if it's ok to call them the "n" word..

ill be there to stop them from stickin they 12 inch timberland boot down your throat

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 03:24:27 PM by BASS_THUMPER »

« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
ACF, call me a moron if necessary, but I don't get your comment, can you explain?

PS: Is it Ok to use the word "moron"?

It's from the movie Airplane!, which, by the way, is very politically incorrect, but very funny.

« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
TP to Osirus Celtics

I'm just more of this mind set. Take the training wheels off - which is not meant to offend anyone who is riding a bike with training wheels on it. You are special too. All it means is that until you have learned your way up to riding without training wheels, it is fair to say that the training wheels are seen as assistance to a rider who has slightly less riding ability than other people -

Assume people are of solid mind and reason and have the ability to think and fend for themselves.

I have two close girlfriends, one from Italy, one from Britain. I can say things to these girls that you couldn't dream of saying to most Americans, male or female, because we are so uptight about who's saying "BOO!" to us about anything.

They wouldn't understand this debate. Or rather, that there is a need for debate.

Osirus you probably don't agree with everything I've said - I just agree with what you said about letting people live and breath for themselves.  

Yeah, I agree with you too
For me, to be so PC/baby-proof is in a way undermining people's ability to think for themselves.

America preaches for people to be individuals, but reprimands them when they "don't fall in line" figuratively. If you want them to be individuals, then respect people to be themselves

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I love it that some people here are 100% comfortable telling others what they shouldn't be offended by.

CelticsBlog errs on the side of caution. Cry about it.

PS - "Political correctness" is 90% of our problem in society? Or "tyranny"? Really? It's not poverty, or exploitation, or violence and war? It's people saying "hey, please don't use that word." #cmonson

You can choose to be offended all you want. That is your right. When it isn’t blatantly offensive though then you should also choose to ignore that person. I do not agree for example that ANYONE in society ought to be using the N word (including blacks for that matter) as there is no doubt from anyone as to the intent of that word. I am sure there are countless similar examples. I DO however feel like if you are offended because someone says something that is a HUGE stretch to consider it an insult you’d be much better off keeping that to yourself. If you truly are after “peace” amongst posters, Americans, the world, etc then not stirring the pot needlessly is a much better way to have an affect on that peace. Throwing a fit and whining and crying over something isn’t going to do anything but make things worse and create division. Ignore it and move on unless it is egregious.

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
I love it that some people here are 100% comfortable telling others what they shouldn't be offended by.

PS - "Political correctness" is 90% of our problem in society? Or "tyranny"? Really? It's not poverty, or exploitation, or violence and war? It's people saying "hey, please don't use that word." #cmonson

If you can't see the difference between a word used in a hateful manner, with the intent to hurt someone's feelings, and a word (once again, accepted by society, whether rightfully is up for debate) used in a different context and setting, then I dont know what to tell you. If you can't grasp the concept that words have different meanings and can change over time, then that's on you.

Someone can ask me not to use the word, and that's their right. I'm just saying use common sense.

Like I said, I feel like all these posts about "cheap-shots" is offensive to me. I feel like cheap is a negative, derogatory term used to stereotype Jewish people, and it offends me. I would like to see everyone use other terms in it's place.

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

If you can't see the difference between a word used in a hateful manner, with the intent to hurt someone's feelings, and a word (once again, accepted by society, whether rightfully is up for debate) used in a different context and setting, then I dont know what to tell you. If you can't grasp the concept that words have different meanings and can change over time, then that's on you.

Someone can ask me not to use the word, and that's their right. I'm just saying use common sense.

Like I said, I feel like all these posts about "cheap-shots" is offensive to me. I feel like cheap is a negative, derogatory term used to stereotype Jewish people, and it offends me. I would like to see everyone use other terms in it's place.

I agree, I would like them to be referred to as "Generously-Challenged" shots
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You associate the word "cheap" with being Jewish?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
but I do believe you're opinion about it is every bit as valid as mine.    

So, moral relativism?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I believe the stereotype is the reverse (associating being Jewish with being cheap). 

Oh and we have big noses too.
Yup

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I am sure I could find an African American out there that wouldn't care if a Caucasian called them the "n" would but it still wouldn't mean that it was right to do so or that the Caucasian person wasn't using a racial slur.

i'd like to be with you while you walkin round askin black people if it's ok to call them the "n" word..

ill be there to stop them from stickin they 12 inch timberland boot down your throat

LOL BT. I wouldn't want to be the person walking around asking people, I just figured there had to be one person that probably wouldn't care one way or the other.

« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Regarding using stereotypes when the intent isn't to offend:  do you have any concern -- or do you at least recognize the concern -- that pervasive attitudes and stereotypes can erode a group's self-esteem?  For instance, I think it was Neurotic Guy above who mentioned that he has concerns about growing up in a world where society's norms puts restrictions and limits on his daughters.  Do you agree that (non-hateful) stereotypes can add to the level of discomfort some groups feel?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Hi ACF and Angryguy77, are you saying I'm about to get hammered again for being insensitive to god knows what group?

Or something else.

Again, I know you're shaking your head right now and saying "this guy may actually be a moron", but I need the literal ABC explanation.

By the way - I don't mind being called a moron if it applies based on something particular I have done or can't understand. I won't take it as a general statement about the level of my overall intelligence. I know what that is, it's slightly above moron, and I'm secure in that knowledge.

« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:48 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

This is a ridiculous, juvenile attempt to trivialize the use of actually offensive terms by drawing a flawed parallel with a weak, obviously non-offensive term.

Using the word "cheap" = not offensive.  It is not inherently tied to any specific group and its meaning is innocuous ("inexpensive" or "low quality").  

Assuming that  Jewish person is "cheap" simply because they are Jewish = offensive.  That's prejudice.

Conversely, the word "gay" has a strong, inherent connotation with a specific sexual orientation, and thus a specific minority group.  Using the word "gay" as a negative descriptor is a passive aggressive method of putting down and marginalizing that minority group -- whether the person using it means to gay-bash or not.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594

I believe the stereotype is the reverse (associating being Jewish with being cheap). 

Oh and we have big noses too.

Your sig is offensive to dragons. What monster puts a defenseless creature in a Laker jersey?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
Hi ACF and Angryguy77, are you saying I'm about to get hammered again for being insensitive to god knows what group?

Or something else.

Again, I know you're shaking your head right now and saying "this guy may actually be a moron", but I need the literal ABC explanation.

By the way - I don't mind being called a moron if it applies based on something particular I have done or can't understand. I won't take it as a general statement about the level of my overall intelligence. I know what that is, it's slightly above moron, and I'm secure in that knowledge.

Not at all, like ACF said, it's out of a the classic movie Airplane! Slap stick humor at its best.
Still don't believe in Joe.