Author Topic: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...  (Read 75957 times)

Re: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Hi Shookones99, thank you. I do feel fairly well grounded but like anyone I have plenty of days where my self confidence can be shaken, but that is for me to manage and be responsible for. I understand what you're saying and if something I say offends someone I would be the first to apologize and try to explain myself.

But I believe people don't "deserve" anything other than what they go out and earn by doing their best 12-14 hours a day regardless of their lot. People have to make their own way, that's the way they become the strongest.

For example, I have tremendous respect for the Jewish people. I am not sure anyone has suffered more incredibly violent prejudice over the course of their existence and yet still flowered based primarily on their incredible grit, determination, fierce commitment to education and endless hard work. Phenomenal contributions to mankind with such a minor population, it boggles the mind and is something to admire and emulate.

I try to do the best I can to help family and friends in my circle as best as I can.    

« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Trust me when I tell you, I could care less if you or a million people said that ScoobyDoo played like a chick, or played weak and was terrible. It would mean exactly "zero" to me. Why? Because I could give two craps about what you or anyone says about me. Why? Because I don't derive my sense of self from anyone but me. If I did, I'd be in a lot of trouble. And I certainly don't need someone to "protect" me from words.

Well congradulations to you.  You seem pretty well grounded and like you have a good sense of self-confidence.  But the truth is everyone is wired differently and people handle situations differently.  It doesn't mean there's a right or wrong.

But those people deserve to be taken care of.  Especially when it's really not that hard of a thing to do.

Why should the majority of society cave to a select few that get offended by things that shouldn't offend them to begin with? Remember the old saying, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me."? Does that not ring true still? Or are we teaching children these days that they should be hurt and offended by every little thing someone says?

I'm offended by some of these threads calling Wade's hit on Rondo cheap. I feel like it's a jab at the Jewish stereotype. Please close all threads containing that word.

I don't think of it as caving to a select few but rather taking care of a select few.

I am 21 years old and was raised by two parents who believe in being politically correct.  I guess you can say I fit into the "teaching children these days that they should be hurt and offended by every little thing someone says?"
But to be honest, I personally cant remember the last time I was offended by something someone said.  I tend to think I have a thick skin.  

But what my upbringing did was made me think twice about offending others.  My mother can be a bit sensitive about certain subjects.  So when she's around I'm careful not to offend her.  It's a pretty easy thing to do I've noticed, and it does make a difference to her.

So while I personally don't get offended easily I try and have empathy for those that do.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Hi Roy, thanks and I can understand where you see contradiction. I have incredible respect for women, I wouldn't be here without their guidance and toughness in raising me. I honestly believe they are the stronger, tougher sex and we as men would be well advised to take their lead/guidance more often than not if we'd like what's best for the world.

It's probably because I just don't get too caught up with words. One aspect of the female gender is that they are softer and generally speaking, based on body mass and muscle mass, softer and weaker than men ( Pound for pound is another issue entirely - assuming women were equally built physically, I'd guess they'd win most of the time). It's not a knock against them, just a fact. So saying the Celts played like chicks does carry a lot of significance to me.

This debate has made me think a lot as well and I will turn it around in my head for a while and it might end up altering how I think some and that's a great think because it's  the key goal of debate. So thanks to everyone for that.

« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Hello and thank you "Boom"

TP.

« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2011, 02:48:42 PM »

Offline KindBass

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
"Political correctness is tyranny with a happy face." -Charlton Heston
"When I was a rookie, [Bird] and Kevin McHale were arguing.  So I asked Kevin McHale what they were arguing about.  And he says, 'we're just trying to figure out who you're going to guard.'  I said, 'what you mean?' and he said, 'oh, you're dead meat, rook.'" - Charles Barkley

« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
TP, KindBass...

If something I've said has truly offended someone I will try to explain what my context was.

But trust me, I will never use the term chicks, or 6 year old girls again - particularly if it offends someone. That was not the intent whatsoever.

I just hope that when I say they played like real gladiators tonight, nobody's relatives from Roman times take offense to it, suggesting that I am not accounting for the fact that gladiators also had a softer, feminine side and I shouldn't just paint them as blood thirsty barbarians ever again.

« Reply #201 on: May 09, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Point taken Shookones99, I get that re your Mom, I do the same thing with mine.

« Reply #202 on: May 09, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I just hope that when I say they played like real gladiators tonight, nobody's relatives from Roman times take offense to it, suggesting that I am not accounting for the fact that gladiators also had a softer, feminine side and I shouldn't just paint them as blood thirsty barbarians ever again.

"Joey, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"   ;D

« Reply #203 on: May 09, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
3.) I think there has been a tremendous moving of the goalposts in this thread to try to justify a viewpoint. Fact is, saying men are playing like women or the derogatory term "chicks" is against the rules here at Celticsblog and is somewhat insulting to both the Celtics players that were being described that way and women in general as it stereotyped and insulted women as a whole.

What if someone said, "Those girls are playing like guys!" Are you assuming the intent is different? Is that against the rules?

What about, "Those guys are playing like chicks!" referring to the UConn or Tenn. women teams?

Do you know of any woman that would get offended by either of those?
So because you want to take the exception of the exception of the exception to what is meant by the stereotype that 99.9999% of the people would take it for, we should dismiss it and allow the stereotyping?

I am sure I could find an African American out there that wouldn't care if a Caucasian called them the "n" would but it still wouldn't mean that it was right to do so or that the Caucasian person wasn't using a racial slur.

That's exactly my point though. The "N" word (among others) is a different beast. There's a social stigma attached to it and it's not socially acceptable. "Retard", rightfully or wrongfully, is socially acceptable to the majority of people, provided the intent and context is appropriate.

The retort will be, "There is no context appropriate." or "Why use them period?"

To those I say, once again, language is ever-evolving and you people need to use a little common sense and stop living in the past.

EDIT: What's up Scooby!

« Reply #204 on: May 09, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »

Offline KindBass

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
TP, KindBass...

If something I've said has truly offended someone I will try to explain what my context was.

But trust me, I will never use the term chicks, or 6 year old girls again - particularly if it offends someone. That was not the intent whatsoever.

I just thought it was a cool quote.  I wasn't directing it at anyone.  Besides, I don't get offended by anything really.  Maybe by something in real life, like someone getting a promotion over me that's less qualified.

Obviously, I'm new here, and this thread was a good run-down of how things work here.  And don't worry, just because I couldn't care less what anyone else says doesn't mean I'm gonna go around disrespecting people that do.
"When I was a rookie, [Bird] and Kevin McHale were arguing.  So I asked Kevin McHale what they were arguing about.  And he says, 'we're just trying to figure out who you're going to guard.'  I said, 'what you mean?' and he said, 'oh, you're dead meat, rook.'" - Charles Barkley

« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
To Nick:

1. Agree 100%

2. Disagree, people have called other people all sorts of things forever, no one race is immune to it. I also don't think it's fair to caucasians are immune to anything and I don't think evil white males are the cause of all the world's current problems.

3. In most lengthy debates the goalpost are moved all over the field, that's the point. And I don't think it's an insult to women based on the context but I do believe you're opinion about it is every bit as valid as mine.    

« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
"Political correctness is tyranny with a happy face." -Charlton Heston

Cosign a thousand times

« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
ACF, call me a moron if necessary, but I don't get your comment, can you explain?

PS: Is it Ok to use the word "moron"?

« Reply #208 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
ACF, call me a moron if necessary, but I don't get your comment, can you explain?

PS: Is it Ok to use the word "moron"?

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison? Does that help?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #209 on: May 09, 2011, 03:17:11 PM »

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
I love it that some people here are 100% comfortable telling others what they shouldn't be offended by.

CelticsBlog errs on the side of caution. Cry about it.

PS - "Political correctness" is 90% of our problem in society? Or "tyranny"? Really? It's not poverty, or exploitation, or violence and war? It's people saying "hey, please don't use that word." #cmonson
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983