Author Topic: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...  (Read 74813 times)

Re: Political correctness on CelticsBlog...
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I have full faith that you mods can tell the difference between a stereotype that's innocent and one that was used intentionally in an attempt to offend somebody.  In the latter case that's why we have a report button.  However if it was the former and someone really took offense to it I'd hope they'd have enough sense to just ignore it.  If I personally was disciplined for calling Vujacic a girl I'd be a tad bit confused.

I just want to be clear that nobody was disciplined here.  In situations where something questionable is posted, we generally err on the side of caution, but the most we'll usually do is delete / edit the post, or lock a thread.  There are cases where we impose actual discipline, but that's generally only for the intentional use of slurs.

This thread has blown up bigger than it probably warranted, but the message to 99.9% of posters is "Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be fine". 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Hi ACF and Angryguy77, are you saying I'm about to get hammered again for being insensitive to god knows what group?

Or something else.

Again, I know you're shaking your head right now and saying "this guy may actually be a moron", but I need the literal ABC explanation.

By the way - I don't mind being called a moron if it applies based on something particular I have done or can't understand. I won't take it as a general statement about the level of my overall intelligence. I know what that is, it's slightly above moron, and I'm secure in that knowledge.

Not at all, like ACF said, it's out of a the classic movie Airplane! Slap stick humor at its best.

Exactly. You mentioned gladiators and it got me thinking about that movie because this person (Captain Oveur) also says to Joey: "Do you like movies about gladiators?" Anyways, I guess the joke is pretty much dead now  :)

« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
"Political correctness is tyranny with a happy face." -Charlton Heston

to be fair discrimination and treating people like crud is tyranny with an angry face

« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:46 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Thread's still goin strong huh? Cool.

One of the mods should lock this so they can stop wasting their precious time on this idiocy.

Obey the freaking rules or get the hell out.  How hard is that? 

/thread.

Well said.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2011, 01:44:07 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Hi Roy, point taken. I actually wasn't trying to be persuasive with that particular post, just having some fun with words and it certainly wasn't meant to take a shot at anyone that has disagreed with me in this post in a sarcastic way as Nick pointed out - and I understand why Nick did point it out.

As much as I like engaging in a spirited way in a debate, I'm actually not that invested in this thread. I love going back and forth arguing about an issue but I really could care less in the end if anyone agrees with me or not or thinks I'm an idiot or not. It's not that important, though it's a fun exercise.

The debating is a lot of fun, other people's opinions make you think and challenge your own opinions - that's fun and it's very healthy.

I may in fact change the way I post, not because I'm worried about breaking any rules, but more so based on some of the commentary by the other posters who disagreed with me the most vehemently - the last thing you ever want to do is unintentionally upset or hurt someone by saying something that you feel is completely benign in its intent.

This being said I still think we should trust in people's ability for analytical thought, their ability to determine for themselves the true intent of things said and then leave it up to them to directly discuss any issue they need to with whomever they feel they need to. Makes for strong, inquisitive minds and independent people.

I also think in this world, a little thick skin and a good sense of humor, rather than a focus all possible things offensive would be of great benefit to us all.   

« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I may in fact change the way I post, not because I'm worried about breaking any rules, but more so based on some of the commentary by the other posters who disagreed with me the most vehemently - the last thing you ever want to do is unintentionally upset or hurt someone by saying something that you feel is completely benign in its intent.

I also think in this world, a little thick skin and a good sense of humor, rather than a focus all possible things offensive would be of great benefit to us all.   

I think the two above statements are very well said, and are things that most of us should agree on.  I think it's important -- both in the "real world" and on CelticsBlog -- to do our best not to hurt others, while also trying to give others the benefit of the doubt.

Since everyone seems to have had their say, and because there's not a lot left to say, we're going to lock the thread.  If anybody feels shortchanged or really wants to add something, contact a member of the staff and we'll look into reopening it.  Until then, your last statements are really all that needs to be said on the matter:  try not to hurt others, but be reasonable in your reactions.  It's good advice for us all to live by.

Locked (at least for the time being).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes