C - needs improvement in a number of areas
3 (5.4%)
D - not so good
2 (3.6%)
F - you've failed
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: October 04, 2009, 08:27:55 PM

Author Topic: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)  (Read 39017 times)

Re: How's our driving? (CelticsBlog)
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
I think you're driving needs improvement. Here's some things to try to see if people will enjoy the site more.

1.) Become much more heavy handed. If someone disagrees with the consensus...lifetime ban. If someone hints at something anti- Celtic...lifetime ban. If someone has constructive criticism during game threads...lifetime ban. If someone uses profanity, even the stuff that's fake profanity or allowable profanity...lifetime ban. If someone even hints at being disagreeable... lifetime ban. I think you get the point!

2.) Allow Celtic and basketball talk only. If someone tries to bring in a non basketball subject...lifetime ban. if someone uses a non basketball analogy...lifetime ban. If you feel someone is even thinking about politics...lifetime ban. Red Sox..lifetime ban. Patri...lifetime ban. Bru...lifetime ban.

3.) Allow no feedback or criticisms or opinions that are not supported by Celticsblog or Jeff Clark. You suggest the Latest Forums Topics could be longer...lifetime ban. What about Facebook integration...lifetime ban. Get rid of the Fanshots...lifetime ban. Don't agree with Roy's decision to lock a subject...lifetime ban. Think Redz should joke around less...lifetime ban. Edgar should write better english...lifetime ban. Bring back the Babbler...lifetime ban.

4.) Everyone needs to pay for the right to be here. Time to start charging people to have the pleasure of Celticsblog. $10 per month on a renewable opt out basis or $99 a year should do it. Credit card maxes out...lifetime ban. Change banks and don't notify CB...lifetime ban. No credit card...too bad. Member since 1995 and don't want to pay...too bad. Can't afford it...too bad. This should be free...too bad.

I think if Celticsblog makes these changes, it will be driving straight and fast and get A's from everyone.

Or we could just leave it like it is and enjoy it's flaws and realize no one and nothing is perfect?

A disclaimer...the above post was done with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Darn, I was hoping for the new game of CelticsBlog survivor.  Who would be the last one left to turn out the lights when the bans concluded (besides Jeff  ;D)

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

2. I'm down with the idea of simplifying/paring down the forum subsections, or for providing a "search" function for threads that get lost in the haystack.  How many times have I been weeding through the forum sections trying to find a black cat in a dark room that wasn't there...

Well there's a search function, but sadly it isn't that good.

Here's how I would change the organization of forums:

1) I would elimante the "International Zone" section altogether. "Global Basketball" can be simply be made a child forum of "Around the NBA". The section is rarely used and doesn't deserve to be a parent forum. No one uses "Foros en Español", and I mean no one. It's quite useless. But people want to keep it regardless, then just move it to the "Other Discussions" section.

We elimanted a section that is very rarely used, but still clutters the main forum page.

2) Move "Entertainment" from being a child forum of "Off Topic", and make it a parent forum in the "Other Discussions" section. That forum gets a bit of used, and its potential is being highly hindered by being a child forum. While we're at it, the child forum "Other Entertainment" should be eliminated, it serves no purpose. Its thread should be moved to the main "Entertainment" portion. Also if needed be, you can easily combine "TV Shows" and "Movies" child forums into one, but I'm fine as they are.

The main problem with the "Entertainment" forum being a child of "Off Topic" is that "Entertainment" has many child forums itself and it makes browsing it a bit tedious.

3) I think everyone here can agree that the "Graphics Forum" and "Multimedia Forum" should be merged into one. Really, I don't see the point in keeping them separated, particularly since they don't have a lot of activity.

4) I don't undertand why "Celtics Hall of Fame" is a parent forum. I would make it a child forum of "Community".

5) "Using Celtics Blog" and "Comments & Remarks" should be merged into one. Both sections essentially serve the same purpose, and half the time I don't know in which of the two I should post or where to look for a thread of a certain topic.

I think with all these changes, the forum will look better and will function better. I think most would agree with me on this regard.

And as an aside, I know it has been mentioned quite a few times, but the "Latest Forum Topics" needs to be expanded to atleast 20 threads. That tool is too useful for everyone here to be left as it is.
Just a guess. Maybe Jeff has growth plans for some of the forums that you are looking to limit and has already thought of some of the other ideas for the areas that are in current growth but haven't been changed to "Parent" forums yet.

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dont really get it, is searching for topics really that difficult that people are overly conscerned with parent forums.  If you are looking for a topic and know that its not in the international forum why does it bother you that its there?  I dont get it, I have never had a problem navigating here
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
In all seriousness, I agree with Reggie's ghost expanding the latest forum topics to 15 or 20 threads would be nice and there are some consolidation options in the forums, but I doubt its affecting use that much.

Mostly this is a great site where you can get Celtics news and civilized discussions on most sports topics.  Far better than most other sports forums.  

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

2. I'm down with the idea of simplifying/paring down the forum subsections, or for providing a "search" function for threads that get lost in the haystack.  How many times have I been weeding through the forum sections trying to find a black cat in a dark room that wasn't there...

Well there's a search function, but sadly it isn't that good.

Here's how I would change the organization of forums:

1) I would elimante the "International Zone" section altogether. "Global Basketball" can be simply be made a child forum of "Around the NBA". The section is rarely used and doesn't deserve to be a parent forum. No one uses "Foros en Español", and I mean no one. It's quite useless. But people want to keep it regardless, then just move it to the "Other Discussions" section.

We elimanted a section that is very rarely used, but still clutters the main forum page.

2) Move "Entertainment" from being a child forum of "Off Topic", and make it a parent forum in the "Other Discussions" section. That forum gets a bit of used, and its potential is being highly hindered by being a child forum. While we're at it, the child forum "Other Entertainment" should be eliminated, it serves no purpose. Its thread should be moved to the main "Entertainment" portion. Also if needed be, you can easily combine "TV Shows" and "Movies" child forums into one, but I'm fine as they are.

The main problem with the "Entertainment" forum being a child of "Off Topic" is that "Entertainment" has many child forums itself and it makes browsing it a bit tedious.

3) I think everyone here can agree that the "Graphics Forum" and "Multimedia Forum" should be merged into one. Really, I don't see the point in keeping them separated, particularly since they don't have a lot of activity.

4) I don't undertand why "Celtics Hall of Fame" is a parent forum. I would make it a child forum of "Community".

5) "Using Celtics Blog" and "Comments & Remarks" should be merged into one. Both sections essentially serve the same purpose, and half the time I don't know in which of the two I should post or where to look for a thread of a certain topic.

I think with all these changes, the forum will look better and will function better. I think most would agree with me on this regard.

And as an aside, I know it has been mentioned quite a few times, but the "Latest Forum Topics" needs to be expanded to atleast 20 threads. That tool is too useful for everyone here to be left as it is.
Just a guess. Maybe Jeff has growth plans for some of the forums that you are looking to limit and has already thought of some of the other ideas for the areas that are in current growth but haven't been changed to "Parent" forums yet.

I can see that with "CB Hall of Fame". It's fine where it is to tell the truth.

As for the "International Zone" I just done see it. I know there are interests to expand and attract other markets, but it simply isn't happening. There's little to no interest here for those types of discussion to warrant a full "International Zone" section. Move the forums somewhere else and see if eventually an interest in the occurs, but I don't see it at the moment. It's an entire section populated by two forums that are for the most part unused.

I would have little problem with it if it were at the bottom of the page, but it's right there in the middle, pushing other sections that are of higher interest to the bottom. It simply isn't practical at the moment. And I'm a Spanish speaker, so in all I'm kinda one of the guys you're targeting with those sections.

As for the rest, I think my observations are spot on, and should improve the overall organization and more importantly the discussion.

I dont really get it, is searching for topics really that difficult that people are overly conscerned with parent forums.  If you are looking for a topic and know that its not in the international forum why does it bother you that its there?  I dont get it, I have never had a problem navigating here

It really is, and you notice it when threads fall from the "Latest Forum Topics" the discussion stops in many instances.

This is easily observed in the Entertainment forum for example, since in order to read a thread in "Television" or "Movies" you would need 3 clicks to arrive. Those two sections are decently used, and some don't bother giving those extra clicks to see what is going on. Also, when one posts in a child forum inside Entertainment, the "Last Post" isn't updated in "Off Topic". It's a small thing, but a small thing here and a small thing there accummulates. In all I see good potential in regards to improving discussion inside the Entertainment forum with the simple move of promoting it to a parent forum, particularly important because of the abundace of child forums inside Entertainment.

It would cut down clicks by one, and in some instances by two.

As for the International Forum, well see my comments above. It pushes the forums of interest further down the page, it clutters the main page unncessarily, and honestly it kinda looks bad to have a full section with so little discussion.

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think I made a mistake over the last two nights that may be causing confusion.

It is easy to participate in a thread where there is a mod there and the thread can get heated, but there are no warnings posted in the thread or sent to anyone. This shouldn't be interpreted by posters as thinking they have free reign to say anything they want or defend themselves however they see fit.

There are 7 or 8 other mods. Just because one isn't doing anything shouldn't let the posters think they can do whatever they want, which isn't what I thought, but if you feel you are being labeled and you respond to that and there still isn't any warning a poster can probably feel justified and more safe than they should.

It was my mistake, but I suspect I might not be the only one guilty of this.

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It got merged with the other Simmions/WEEI article.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It got merged with the other Simmions/WEEI article.

That is amazing that you can merge a poll with a regular thread. I didn't know you can do that.

Sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:36:24 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
what do you call a thread that gets locked for no reason?

the this thread is locked thread

ahahahaha

ps, there are so many threads that serve no purpose here; I've started about half of them...to lock that one was just silly, sorry for voicing my opinion

If you have a problem with the way we lock threads, bring it up in the "comments & remarks" forum or look over the posting rules about starting a new thread.

ok, locking that thread was useless...it had a chance to develop into something beautiful and different, but instead it's fluttering was stomped out before it could even have an inch of life

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=32919.msg613418;topicseen#new

like really...have you never read super off topic off topic, or bunnies, or squirrels? no point to them, but everyone enjoys them...well most everyone I assume
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just because some threads are useless and still turn into beautiful things doesn't mean everyone can.

It's kind of the beauty why there is only one SOTOTT.

If you did it all the time, it would lose its charm.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

ahahahaha

ps, there are so many threads that serve no purpose here; I've started about half of them...to lock that one was just silly, sorry for voicing my opinion

If you have a problem with the way we lock threads, bring it up in the "comments & remarks" forum or look over the posting rules about starting a new thread.

ok, locking that thread was useless...it had a chance to develop into something beautiful and different, but instead it's fluttering was stomped out before it could even have an inch of life

like really...have you never read super off topic off topic, or bunnies, or squirrels? no point to them, but everyone enjoys them...well most everyone I assume

Not to speak for Dons...but if he hadn't locked it I would have.  Honestly, I thought you actually wanted us to lock it as part of the joke.

As for the actual thread leading to something good...well, I don't think that would have been the case.  I have a feeling it would have gone in the wrong direction very quickly.

But no matter what, it did not meet the requirements to be a useful new thread, as Dons pointed out.

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

ahahahaha

You've had some great, quirk, fun threads my dino loving friend but that would not have been one of them.

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2009, 09:58:25 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

ahahahaha

You've had some great, quirk, fun threads my dino loving friend but that would not have been one of them.

I actually respect you nick, but if you don't let so mething develop, how do you know?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

ahahahaha

I actually respect you nick, but if you don't let so mething develop, how do you know?

Our rules require, at a minimum, that a new thread have some point or purpose.  Throwing up something random and hoping that something good springs up -- with no direction as to what that might be -- simply isn't permitted. 

Dons did nothing wrong.  One of the tasks of a moderator is to enforce the rule, and that one is pretty clear.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

ahahahaha

Let's put it this way: thread that is completely random, that promotes discussiong = good.  Thread named after something that has been a major complaint by certain members of the blog, with no direction = bad.

I am not saying you had bad intentions with it, but I am saying that because of the name of the thread, it would have turned into a place for people to complain about the blog, and that did not belong on that forum.