Author Topic: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better  (Read 29521 times)

Re: You (yes you) can make CelticsBlog better
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2009, 02:38:23 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I have an idea about making CB better.  Is it in the rules right now that you cant make posts that do not add anything, or like posts that are only in place to show displeasure with anothers post but dont ad anything constructive.  Like following anothers post up with, " ::)"  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I have an idea about making CB better.  Is it in the rules right now that you cant make posts that do not add anything, or like posts that are only in place to show displeasure with anothers post but dont ad anything constructive.  Like following anothers post up with, " ::)"  

Yeah, there are probably several rules that cover that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regarding the TP discussion going on all I have to say is who cares!! TP's, no TPs, what does it matter?

I am aware I have a bunch of TP's. I never begged for any(well that's not true but probably for less than 5 altogether), hardly have played in the TP reward games and even less frequently won. I'm opinionated and have given out a ton of opinions that people just don't like.

But I think I have a lot of TP's because each and every time I post I try like hell to contribute something positive. If that's a piece of information, a joke, a long funny story, a bit of advice, an opinion(even if not popular),whatever it is I try to enhance the blog by adding something positive.

I think this is the way everyone should approach their participation not only in Celticsblog but anything they do in life. Participate and try to do so in a positive manner while contributing something to enhance what you are doing. If accolades come, great. If they don't, who cares, you will have made the place you are better and more enjoyable to be in and isn't that going to make your life easier and better and more enjoyable? And isn't that the most important thing?

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
You really don't care at all about TPs, can I have your 1500 then?

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Nothing is wrong with the games - I was unclear.  The games are cool.

The TP reward system is what I said was hurting overall.

I'm outta here, it's too nice out!!

Edit: let me know where I can cash in my TPs and I will stop complaining about them

[dang], maybe I better hold off on my newest contest:

GUESS THE JELLYBEAN AMOUNT FOR 1 MILLION TPs

500 jelly beans. i am basing my guess on the assumption that the person who put the jelly beans in the container simply dumped int a standard bag/quantity set forth by the industry.

500 is a very common quantity for companies to put in bags, containers, etc etc.

so, let me know when you will start adding those 1,000,000 tps.  ;D

(hmmmm... if you add one tp every 5 seconds, and only work at it 16 hours a day.... i should have all of them in just a shade under 3 months. just in time for christmas!!!!!!)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I don't want to beat the subject down to the ground, but a couple of other thoughts:

First off, those of you speaking up to defend the TP system are likely not the ones with the "TP narcissim" problem. The ones causing the problems are (likely) too embarrassed to join in on this thread - which is fine. So far, all the posts in defense of TPs are (accurately) describing the benefits of the TP system. The "attaboys" aren't a bad thing. But that's separate from the issue of other posters who are abusing the TP system. That's where the balancing comes in. It appears from the comments (especially from the staff), that most people believe the pros outweigh the cons. Fine, I guess. Those of us that disagree will live with it.

I will say one last thing, though, that's always puzzled me about TPs. If the TP is given anonymously, then there's no way to build any camaraderie from it. In fact, if you're not on the blog 24/7, you may not even know which post of yours caused you to get a TP. So, in the anonymous case, the feedback isn't really useful for anything other than gaining bragging rights for a high TP count.

On the other hand, TPs are very frequently given non-anonymously. When this happens, you know who gave you the TP (builds camaraderie) and you know exactly which post caused the TP (helps reinforce quality posts). But in those cases, the TPs are redundant because you're actually posting in the thread something like, "I agree" or "Interesting point - TP for you." If people are making actual posts to say "TP for you," why keep a running tally of them on the side if nobody cares about the number anyway? If the reason you like TPs is because you like having a mechanism to say "attaboy," you've already got one (and probably already use it) - just quote the post you like and say "TP."

EDIT: I was just thinking how I enjoy just as much as the next guy when someone comments on one my posts and gives me some positive feedback. Positive karma is a good thing. But I never find myself gaining anything when I see that my TP count is higher...

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 03:10:12 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
tp's are nothing more than a novelty.  i much prefer to give them to people than receive them.  people give them for different reasons.  personally, i give them for insightful posts, posts i strongly agree with, or most often....when they make me laugh.

tp's stay imo

I say please keep'em.  TP's are fun.  I love to find a good reason to give them out, especially on game threads.  If people want to make groups to collect them, fine.  That's what they are about, it's cool with me.  For myself, I prefer mine to be "earned" and I expect that to be cool with everyone too.  We generally know who we read and who we skip, TP's have little to do with it.

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

Don't you go spending them all on some fancy record player. (Unless you buy the records off Redz.)

I guess I just don't understand the TP thing. I mean I participate in all the TP thread giving games and all that stuff, but does anyone honestly take TPs into account when reading posts? For example, if Joe 3 TPs makes a great point, it's still a great point. Similarly, if Mod 5000 TPs says something stupid, does his TP count make it any less stupid?

And isn't that what we are all inherently here for? Reading and making intelligent or non intelligent posts about the Celtics and the CelticsBlog community? Learning something new, or teaching someone else something new about our favorite topics? Laughing at something someone wrote, or having a place to vent frustration and share elation about the things we care most about with people who share that enthusiasm?

What are we in this for? If you really get that much of a self esteem boost that comes with a bunch of TPs, you need "Ask Edgar".
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sure, they'll all yours.

But given that there's probably a bunch of others that want them as well it would seem unfair to just give them to you. But if someone wants to zero out my TP's, go ahead.

What does it matter. I still have a tremendous family, a beautiful wife, a hopefully-ready-to-turnaround business, a home, three of the best kids anyone could ask for, a fabulous, and my I say, very beautiful pet, food to eat, semi good health, money tucked away and I live in the greatest country in the world and am a fan of the greatest professional sports team ever.

What do I need with TP's???

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Don't you go spending them all on some fancy record player. (Unless you buy the records off Redz.)

I guess I just don't understand the TP thing. I mean I participate in all the TP thread giving games and all that stuff, but does anyone honestly take TPs into account when reading posts? For example, if Joe 3 TPs makes a great point, it's still a great point. Similarly, if Mod 5000 TPs says something stupid, does his TP count make it any less stupid?

TP count no, post count, yes.

When I see something stupd, offensive or potentially inflammatory I post count is very important as to proceed with the assumption that they just don't know any better, or proceed with the assumption they are trying to start trouble.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669

TP count no, post count, yes.

When I see something stupd, offensive or potentially inflammatory I post count is very important as to proceed with the assumption that they just don't know any better, or proceed with the assumption they are trying to start trouble.

No that makes perfect sense for mods in that situation, but the trouble I'm having is stemming from posters that are so concerned about the TP system. If TPs were currency and you could get Celtics gear, then they should be really ticked. But they aren't.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Pretty soon you might be able to bargain TPs for some vinyl anyhow!  Shop's closing up Labor Day Weekend.

Yup

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2009, 03:35:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What we should do is that if you give a TP to somebody, it should reduce your TP count, so essentially you're giving away a TP from your stash to someone else.

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
What we should do is that if you give a TP to somebody, it should reduce your TP count, so essentially you're giving away a TP from your stash to someone else.

like Schrutebucks?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:03 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
TP for The Office reference.